Fabia VRS oil consumption..........What is acceptable?

Wow, hell of an ordeal you are going through there! They are blooming lucky they got as patient a person as you shown yourself to be. I am glad it wasn't me having a misfortune of happening upon such an antithesis of a customer service.

One bright point about the whole story is that SUK will hopefully deal with them. If you can be bothered, and this will be beneficial for you, please send regular e-mails with read receipt delivery options ticked to SUK describing in great detail your encounters with Gordon & Co. As a pointer always try to write something good about Skoda and how it pains you having to go through such an experience with their main dealer - will work wonders when it comes to compensation or as they call it "SUK good will gesture" ;).

Do you experience loss of power, high fuel consumption or any other abnormalities? I am asking since this could prompt additional tests (say compression test) which if failed automatically warrant new motor-worth a try!

Patience is something I had to learn during my days as a negotiator within a trade union, as is the ability to bite hard on my tongue to get somewhere. I hope that neither Parks or Skoda misinterpret that apparent passiveness to be a weakness otherwise more fool them.

I have kept SUK informed of the dealings with Parks via telephone conversations and would like to back this up by sending emails however I don't have a direct SUK email address. I do know that SUK in the shape of the person assigned to me were dismayed to hear of the manner in which we were treated and that they planned to liaise with the dealer on a few issues that arose. At this stage any email favouring SUK response over that of the dealer wouldn't be lying, as the contrast is as clear as night and day. If you or anyone else has an email address for SUK that I could use then I would be grateful.

So far, touch wood, we haven't experienced loss of power, high fuel consumption (today's jaunt to Dumfries averaged 46.3 mpg according to onboard*) or any other abnormalities that I am aware of. In fact, as I say, there hasn't actually been a warning light or dash message but that is more likely down to regular checks and top ups than anything else.

Thanks for the sound advice, and if you or someone else has a direct email that would be brilliant.

One last thing which I forgot to mention earlier. When on the phone to Skoda I asked about getting copies of technical reports relating to the forthcoming oil consumption test. The girl initially said I wouldn't get that information as it belonged to warranty. I challenged this on data protection and FOI as the person owning the vehicle that any report would be compiled upon. Looks like I will get copies, which George and others might be kind enough to help decipher for me.

Thanks again folks.

• Like 3

The Rebuilt engines came after the Launch of the SEAT Ibiza Cupra 2009 & the vRS 2010. Polo GTI 2010, & Audi A1 185 ps 2011

Some Cars got the Engine Rebuilt, new rings & pistons.

Sometimes it was Dealer Demonstrators run for 3,000 miles on 95ron fuel and no Salesperson Dipping or checking Oil in these new cars until 

they were ready to sell them to Customers and they went into the Workshop for 'A  SERVICE' before being sold.

** THESE ARE THE SAME KIND OF PERSON THAT SAYS< 'THEY ARE KNOWN FOR USING OIL', 

THEY ALL DO THAT',  & others say, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE'.**

THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO USE 1/2 A LITRE OF OIL, IT IS A SPORTS CAR!!'

None mention the 98 ron Prescribed/Recommended Fuel.

Or know about Spark Plugs maybe not lasting the Service Schedule 40,000 miles, or Misfires not registering Fault Codes.

because there are not enough misfires in a cycle.

IN FACT MOST SALES STAFF KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE CARS.

Well some DEMONSTRATORS never had the oil dipped or topped up while running in, and never got  New Oil & Filter before going to the first private owner. There are always going to be some run correctly and topped up, and some not topped up until someone was away to sell them.

OBVIOUSLY MOST GET A SERVICE AND OIL AND FILTER BEFORE THE SALE. & THEN SOME GET A STAMP IN A BOOK< SAYING THEY HAD AN OIL CHANGE.

(Some Customers that bought new and were concerned were told by Salespeople.i drive the same car it is great and uses no oil.

&

Some new owners could no believe how poor the MPG was and how high the Oil Use was.

These cars where Failures. 

Dealer abuse.  & Dealer or Sales Staff lack of knowledge or interest in the cars, engines or customers.

So some REbuilds on early cars,

then some given Short Engines/Rebuilds,  then when it was CAVE until Late 2012, a CAVE car got a Replacement CAVE engine,

the same as were Failing among the 1,000 Cupra, 800 Polo GTI, 1,800 vRS, and 300 A1 185 ps in the UK.

&

Elsewhere around the World.

Lack of knowledge of the Sales Staff, Dealer Principal and as it turns out sometimes Technicians.

Some Dealerships have done Dozens of Engine Replacements in the 4 Years,

I know of one Group that had done over 30 by last year,

Others that did Replacements and replaced replacements.

Where customer were blown out by the Likes of GORDON, they often Moved on,

Traded in, and that car was still out there as an Oil User.

& Rejected Cars were Repaired or Not and are still out there.

VORSPUNG DURCH TECHNIK.    

Revise the engine in 2012, and pretend you never built any wrong ones, & Factory Trained Staff can be clueless.

I have a feeling that our car is one that was "got shot of" by the previous owner due to oil consumption. I'm also fairly certain that Skoda UK had no real previous knowledge of the car as no service records had been entered on their system by the people conducting the service. 

VAG have a lot of sins to answer for with this particular strategy they have adopted, and for having the audacity to believe they could introduce this engine, and keep this engine, in production when they were aware of manufacturing flaws and inefficiencies from day 1. In my mind this is worse than anything Toyota and others have been pilloried for.

And the customer service across the group is shocking in general, especially when it comes to an issue such as this that brings their worst secrets to the fore.

• Like 2

You will be wanting to get through to ALASDAIR STEWART , BRAND MANAGER SKODA UK at some point i imagine.

Just to let him know again why people are rather unhappy with their Franchised Dealerships.  & Products sold that have Faults.

http://linkedin.com/pub/alasdair-stewart/27/a4/b4b

linkedin.com is good for things like that.

& finding  the names of other Skoda UK Executives,

& Media, Communications Manager, Marketing Manager. etc etc

As well to get your voice heard with them,  

& then the Skoda CEO deserves a letter.  'Dr Winfried Vahland',  

he is a man that can apparently bend over backwards to stick his head in the sand.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/297939-which-oil-do-i-buy/page-5

Post #43 is a good one IMO

• Like 1

LOL, read his role description when he was President and CEO of Bentley North America - Freudian slip I'd say :D.

If not e-mail then use recorded snail mail. I sent my letters using  1st Class Recorded Royal Mail to Mr Stewart and it worked like a charm :).

Well, as that second dealer told you, this is an engine change and they better stop wasting your time really.

You will be wanting to get through to ALASDAIR STEWART , BRAND MANAGER SKODA UK at some point i imagine.

Just to let him know again why people are rather unhappy with their Franchised Dealerships.  & Products sold that have Faults.

http://linkedin.com/pub/alasdair-stewart/27/a4/b4b

linkedin.com is good for things like that.

LinkedIn may be good for many things but it doesn't show an email address or even any useful contact details for Alasdair Stewart, so actually NBG at all in this case. Now, an actual direct email address or 'phone number might be of some help.

Meantime, ashas been suggested elsewhere, Registered SnailMail might be worth trying except that Mr Stewart is "used to working and living in different countries" so in reality you will probably have to deal with one of his underlings.

No it does not show an Email Address,

but it is not hard to find.  Neither are Phone Numbers for Skoda UK HQ  & Customer Services.

You are such a Skoda Fanboy i am sure you can furnish it for members.

Have you got yourself a Skoda yet,  or contacted Skoda to get more Official Information on the Engines that interest you so much.?

??

Any chance of any actual information from you on the 1.4 TSI Twinchargers from your Experience of them,

or anything positive to put forward to helping Owners with Issues.

Like,

What is wrong with the Faulty ones?

I have the email address now for Alisdair Stewart, it is [email protected] and is likely to be one I will use shortly.

Postal address is

Alasdair Stewart 
Brand Director Skoda UK
Yeomans Drive,
Milton Keynes, 
MK15 5AN 
United Kingdom

Warren Richards is Head of Service and Parts as of 6 June 2014.

[email protected]

CEO of Parks Motor Group is Douglas Park

[email protected]

14 Bothwell Road

Hamilton
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
United Kingdom
ML3 0AY

• Like 3

I have the email address now for Alisdair Stewart, it is [email protected] and is likely to be one I will use shortly.

Postal address is

Alasdair Stewart 

Brand Director Skoda UK

Yeomans Drive,

Milton Keynes, 

MK15 5AN 

United Kingdom

[email protected]

CEO of Parks Motor Group is Douglas Park

[email protected]

14 Bothwell Road

Hamilton

Glasgow

Lanarkshire

United Kingdom

ML3 0AY

Just the right timing now then!

Postal address is

Alasdair Stewart 

Brand Director Skoda UK

Yeomans Drive,

Milton Keynes, 

MK15 5AN 

United Kingdom

<snip>

Well done - great share :)

well ive just had another oil consumption test done and some how its passed. i checked my oil 3 times before i took it in, always at 90 c and waiting 5 mins and parked in the same place, nothing on the dipstick yet its passed so today having got the car back, just to humour myself, i got the car to 90c, parked in same spot etc and tested it and low and behold top of the dipstick so it cant be my method that gave nothing on the dipstick

im thinking its overfilled now but nothing i can do, seems such an oddball way of testing these things that no one way ever really shows the same results

im going into sharkriders way of thinking and ill just wait for the low oil message in future, stupid stupid car :)

• Like 1

?? Did they show you the Paperwork on the Consumption Test,

the Quantity & Weight of the Oil at the Start of the test and after the test?

IF IT IS OVERFILLED NOW. THERE IS EVERYTHING YOU CAN DO.

& you need to before there is damage done.

Where is the oil on the Stick when the oil is stone cold after parking for several hours or first thing in the morning.

If it is not above the Top of the Cross Hatch area, then there is something wrong.

(if it is over the Orange Top Marker it is Over Filled.)

It can have no oil on the Stick at the bottom Orange Ball, and still no Oil Light (Yellow) or OIl Check Message shows,

Only 1/2 the Oil capacity of the Engines 3.6 litres.

Up to you, but an odd way to drive a car IMO.  

Just dip it and check cold and see you have oil in the Sump.

Unfortunately the only way I got consistent output results, was to twice let car amber alarm, immediately put in 1 ltr and then wait for alarm again. and take readings and calc.

Didn't want to do this method but it was spot on in my partners car.   

Goes against my engineering background but dipsticking is a nightmare in this car (hot or cold, normally did mine cold), in my opinion. Visual result is crap!

StrerlingMG,

WHAT PROGRESS WITH YOUR MOTHER'S CAR?

SORRY IT IS YOUR THREAD!

Hope you note:

SITTINGBULL'S IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF WHAT AND HOW TO GET PROGRESS UNDER DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES.

George, ill test it tomz when its cold but as said, when warm it was fully covering the hatched area which ive never had it there as i thought that was too much :/

as for the results, ive asked the dealer for a copy of all this as im not convinced its right but hey ho i cant argue with them if they have done it correctly

??

How many miles has been getting done for the Oil Consumption Tests?

No need for an Argument if you drove away from the Dealership & there is too much oil in the Engine.

If there is too much oil in now,

then you can not be sure they had the correct Quanity in for the Consumption Test.

Anyway, its rather simple.

The dipstick goes down the Tube and dips into the oil in the sump once it is mostly drained out of the Filter Housing and Engine journals.

* If it is above the Cross Hatched Area on the Smooth Area then that is fine.*

So when cooled and capillary action plus gravity has the oil low down where it sits, the dipstick will tell the tale.

It should be easy to see if overfilled, 

then if it is,  Skoda Assist or the Dealership can come collect it. To drain the Excess Oil.

Skoda Assist are best, because that is an Independent witness.

But i hope all is well, it only has 3.6 litres in  (3085 Grams or so) and is not going to use oil anymore other than the odd top up,

.A Picture by Jabozuma i believe.

Personally I never have the oil show lower than that with a Hot Dip.

I spoke with Skoda Service chap yesterday, who used to be a tech with Audi. We talked about vRS oil issues. He said he personally changed two power plants in A1's but none so far were done in Skodas. Mind you, the deaslership is only year old :). Anyhow, the first thing he mentioned was that the oil was no good for the engine :D.

• Like 1

VAG thing there is no need for such in their engines.

OIL what's that?

Their latest technology advance, computer say NO!.

Jabozuma,

there are less than 500 Audi A1 185 ps Registered in the UK, and from my memory,

there were ones that seemed to dissappear off Howmanyleft, & from Autotrader as they sat there never moving,

so did they get Ex ported out of the UK.

So was that the Ones Registered as Demonstrators & not selling or the ones sold and Oil Burners, taken off the UK Market.

Keep Residuals High by not having cars discounted & in the Trade at Independents.

Vorsprung Durch Tecknik.

(Nobody knows, so it never happened.)

Only 1,800 Skoda CAVE sold in the UK  2010-2012, and several hundred have had replacement engines,

there should be less appearing now requiring new engines.

what did he mean by the oil was no good for the engine, the 5w30? or the fact oil gets in there where it shouldn't?

His exact words were "too thin" :). Turns to water at the temps twincharger produces and gets diluted with uburnt fuel injected at 10.5:1 AFR at high rpm to cool the combustion chamber as factory IC is crap and charge can go above 50C from what I've seen.

George, na clue mate. If there were only 500 A1's with twinchargers in UK and one mechanic come service manager/Nurburgring fan I happened to chance upon managed to swap 2 himself that tells it's own story. Do you know if on A1 Audi forums people whinged about oil consumption problems as well?