Fabia VRS oil consumption..........What is acceptable?

Sorry on a phone & not able to see all the posts.

If a Car is still in Original Manufacturer Warranty,  Raise a Case with Skoda UK & arrange to get the car into a Skoda Dealership Workshop.

When the car has been bought from Arnold Clark,  even if supplied by Arnold Clark as a new car.

I would try to go to a non Arnold Clark Skoda Workshop.     In fact i would avoid at all costs.

But the is just a personal opinion, based on others experiences.

george

PS 

Get your Online Off.    But get on the phone to Skoda UK Customer Services,  and get everything after that in writing from them.

Keep all records.

First off.

FIND OUT FROM SKODA ANY SERVICE AND WARRANTY RECORD OF WORK DONE ON THE SKODA COMPUTER RECORDS.

Thanks George, yes car is still within manufacturers warranty as car first registered April 2012.

It would also be my choice, and advice to others, to avoid AC at all costs based on previous experience with them. I will complete the online form now and phone them this morning to try to get as much background as I can.

Richard

• Like 2

No it's not the Skoda process.Drain ,weigh top up to 3.6ltr.then do the 200 miles.then weigh as the cross check afte the test mileage.

Have you done a test calc for consumption prior to this?

Maybe that's what they meant................I got the story from my mother who is non technical to say the least.

After my monitoring of the oil used per miles done I estimate usage to be 1/2 litre between 2 & 300 miles, mostly driven carefully by my mother & I've had the odd quicker blast of it but never thrashed the conkers off it

StirlingMG,

So it's in for the 1st test then

Don't forget to communicated in writing with Skoda UK Customer Services and your selected dealer. The Case No. must be quoted in all communications. If they phone you, get then to give a written account of the conversation and commitments/actions.(suk and dealer)

Ok, so I've sent the online submission notifying Skoda UK of the problem, and copied to the selling dealer as a courtesy.

I've also phoned Skoda UK Customer Services, and the first thing I have to do is get to a Skoda dealer with proof of ownership in order to activate any warranty in our name as they still have the previous owner on the system. It seems that is just about all they have on the system as the only recorded intervention by Skoda or a dealer shows coolant being added on 22 May this year. No service records, no warranty work, no signs of any work at all being done on the car on Skoda system. Thankfully they have said its cool for me to use Parks Skoda instead of travelling back to Linwood and Arnold Clark, so I will take a trip down there just now and get the ball rolling.

I asked about service recalls, DSG service campaign etc and the lad said I wouldn't have been notified as I wasn't on system as owner which seems logical. He also said to let the dealer know of the problem, tell them I have spoken to Skoda UK and they reckon a diagnostic check and oil consumption test may be needed under warranty. He said if there are any issues at all to call Skoda UK and they would do what ever they can to successfully resolve this. He did not at any time try to defend the consumption, or question it, he actually referred to it as high consumption.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Richard

ps. Did I mention I haven't got a second key for this car and its even worse trying to get that!

Ok, so I've sent the online submission notifying Skoda UK of the problem, and copied to the selling dealer as a courtesy.

I've also phoned Skoda UK Customer Services, and the first thing I have to do is get to a Skoda dealer with proof of ownership in order to activate any warranty in our name as they still have the previous owner on the system. It seems that is just about all they have on the system as the only recorded intervention by Skoda or a dealer shows coolant being added on 22 May this year. No service records, no warranty work, no signs of any work at all being done on the car on Skoda system. Thankfully they have said its cool for me to use Parks Skoda instead of travelling back to Linwood and Arnold Clark, so I will take a trip down there just now and get the ball rolling.

I asked about service recalls, DSG service campaign etc and the lad said I wouldn't have been notified as I wasn't on system as owner which seems logical. He also said to let the dealer know of the problem, tell them I have spoken to Skoda UK and they reckon a diagnostic check and oil consumption test may be needed under warranty. He said if there are any issues at all to call Skoda UK and they would do what ever they can to successfully resolve this. He did not at any time try to defend the consumption, or question it, he actually referred to it as high consumption.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Richard

ps. Did I mention I haven't got a second key for this car and its even worse trying to get that!

SOUNDS LOGICAL,EXCEPT THAT SKODA should use the DVLA DATABASE FOR( ALL CUSTOMERS) YOUR REGISTRATION TO NOTIFY YOU OF THE SERVICE CAMPAIGN.  

Should NOT RELY ON YOUR CAR BEING SERVICED BY A Skoda Dealer, as some cars are outside of warranty and owners my use a professional garage for their maintenance.

Time for a wee update on the earlier post, I'm sure for some of you this will be a "been there and got the t-shirt moment" but for me I was staggered by the response and initial attitudes displayed.

As mentioned in my earlier post I took the time (as advised by Skoda UK) to travel to my nearest Skoda dealer which happens to be Parks Skoda, based in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire. On arrival I was "served" by a slightly older gentleman by the name of Gordon who enquired if there was anything he could do for me.

I said to him that we had recently purchased the car, and had contacted Skoda UK to find out what we could about warranty work, service record, recalls and so on so that we could find out if there were any outstanding issues needing attended to. I advised him that Skoda UK told me to visit a local dealer with proof of ownership and to ask them to update the Skoda system to show transfer of owner, and to input service history information. You and I would think that was fair enough? No?

Gordon asked when we bought the car, I said 2 June. He asked from where. I say Arnold Clark, He says shame on you. I laughed and said it gets worse, it wasn't Skoda I bought it from it was a Ford garage to which he said double shame on you. At this stage I thought he was being jovial so didn't mind. He asked if there was a reason for me wanting to update the system, to which I told him (as requested) of the conversation I had with Skoda UK about excessive oil consumption, and what Skoda had asked me to do to try and start the process.

He asked what mileage was on the car when bought, and what was on it now? I told him 21200 at point of sale, and 22550 now. He said this model was a high oil user, it was known that they were. At this point I was thinking he was in agreement with me but he wasn't, he was trying to justify the consumption by saying it was known to be a high oil user. I looked at him disbelievingly and he asked me to give details of the amounts of oil used. I said I had used 2 litres over the course of 1300 miles, and I felt this was excessive and the signs of a perhaps faulty engine. He said they regarded 1 litre of oil every 500 miles to be acceptable.

I said to him that was not what the handbook said or indeed what Skoda UK said, with their message being that their tolerances allowed for 0.5 litres over 621 miles. He said that was inaccurate, it was 1 litre over 500 miles. I asked him if he was for real, did he realise that he was telling me that the car would use, by his own guidelines, 20 litres of oil between required service intervals. I told him this was a bad start given I had been looking to have them carry out all servicing and warranty work, as well as have them do any soft recall or service campaign work that might be outstanding such as the DSG oil change. I also told him that I was aware of CAVE engines from 2010 to 2012 encountering problems with oil consumption, and perhaps just as importantly so too did Skoda UK. I also said that I wasn't too fussed what Skoda tolerances were, the oil usage seemed unreasonable and unacceptable to me. 

I asked him to do as asked originally and get our details onto the Skoda system, and take the process from there as I wasn't in looking for a fight, nor to prove usage or otherwise at this stage. He finally took our proofs and copied them so that the information could be changed.

He has now asked me to carry out a monitoring exercise while we wait for the system to update. He originally asked me to top up and check after 100 miles. I said that would be too short a time to meaningfully test. He then changed to ask me to fill up to the level and run for two weeks to see what happens. I have agreed to do this.

It was not the experience or attitude I expected and in all likelihood once I know for certain that the skoda system shows us as the owner I will be taking the car elsewhere to somewhere where they seem to have a bit more understanding, and a willingness to help even if it means travelling further afield.

Apologies for the length of the post, and for coming across as a ranter.

Richard

ps. The other lad on the service desk was much nicer, and more helpful altogether. He was offering a deal on servicing where we get 2 services and one MOT for £299 which seems not to bad, at least he was engaging enough to speak to.

Edited by Sittingbull
  • Like 2

Post is great.

So what is Gordons actual job @ Parks of Hamilton, and his qualifications.

Is he an 'Old School Motor Engineer/Mechanic', Time Served,. or a Skoda-VWG Trained Technician. ?

It is not "0.5 litres per 1000 km". (621 miles) that is acceptable in the real world,

just Volkswagen Group cover their backside numbers.

That is just in the Owners Manuals for all engines, 3 or 4 cylinder petrol or diesel says,

'May be as much as'.

Its not some sort of official figure that is acceptable, just a figure given by Volkswagen , Skoda, Audi. Seat.

george

PS

No need to sign up to some 'Service Deal.  You might be getting a New Engine Fitted.

So that will be New Oil & Filter In, New Spark Plugs.

& just the Need for a Minor Service at 3 years old, 

Brake Fluid Changed, & no Spark Plugs for a while.

Sorry George I can't actually tell you what his title was to be honest as I was never told and I couldn't make it out on his badge, nor did I ask. I've made up my mind that if I do go there I will purposely avoid him if I can.

I was actually shocked when he said the advice given in the owners manual was inaccurate, and so was Skoda's advice, so much so that I went to the relevant section to show him. I'm not convinced he didn't just jump on to help the decent guy who was helping someone else, and then found he was under pressure and couldn't handle it. I hope that's all it was because the alternative i.e he's supposed to know but got it so badly wrong is incomprehensible to me.

• Like 1

Time for a wee update on the earlier post, I'm sure for some of you this will be a "been there and got the t-shirt moment" but for me I was staggered by the response and initial attitudes displayed.

As mentioned in my earlier post I took the time (as advised by Skoda UK) to travel to my nearest Skoda dealer which happens to be Parks Skoda, based in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire. On arrival I was "served" by a slightly older gentleman by the name of Gordon who enquired if there was anything he could do for me.

I said to him that we had recently purchased the car, and had contacted Skoda UK to find out what we could about warranty work, service record, recalls and so on so that we could find out if there were any outstanding issues needing attended to. I advised him that Skoda UK told me to visit a local dealer with proof of ownership and to ask them to update the Skoda system to show transfer of owner, and to input service history information. You and I would think that was fair enough? No?

Gordon asked when we bought the car, I said 2 June. He asked from where. I say Arnold Clark, He says shame on you. I laughed and said it gets worse, it wasn't Skoda I bought it from it was a Ford garage to which he said double shame on you. At this stage I thought he was being jovial so didn't mind. He asked if there was a reason for me wanting to update the system, to which I told him (as requested) of the conversation I had with Skoda UK about excessive oil consumption, and what Skoda had asked me to do to try and start the process.

He asked what mileage was on the car when bought, and what was on it now? I told him 21200 at point of sale, and 22550 now. He said this model was a high oil user, it was known that they were. At this point I was thinking he was in agreement with me but he wasn't, he was trying to justify the consumption by saying it was known to be a high oil user. I looked at him disbelievingly and he asked me to give details of the amounts of oil used. I said I had used 2 litres over the course of 1300 miles, and I felt this was excessive and the signs of a perhaps faulty engine. He said they regarded 1 litre of oil every 500 miles to be acceptable.

I said to him that was not what the handbook said or indeed what Skoda UK said, with their message being that their tolerances allowed for 0.5 litres over 621 miles. He said that was inaccurate, it was 1 litre over 500 miles. I asked him if he was for real, did he realise that he was telling me that the car would use, by his own guidelines, 20 litres of oil between required service intervals. I told him this was a bad start given I had been looking to have them carry out all servicing and warranty work, as well as have them do any soft recall or service campaign work that might be outstanding such as the DSG oil change. I also told him that I was aware of CAVE engines from 2010 to 2012 encountering problems with oil consumption, and perhaps just as importantly so too did Skoda UK. I also said that I wasn't too fussed what Skoda tolerances were, the oil usage seemed unreasonable and unacceptable to me. 

I asked him to do as asked originally and get our details onto the Skoda system, and take the process from there as I wasn't in looking for a fight, nor to prove usage or otherwise at this stage. He finally took our proofs and copied them so that the information could be changed.

He has now asked me to carry out a monitoring exercise while we wait for the system to update. He originally asked me to top up and check after 100 miles. I said that would be too short a time to meaningfully test. He then changed to ask me to fill up to the level and run for two weeks to see what happens. I have agreed to do this.

It was not the experience or attitude I expected and in all likelihood once I know for certain that the skoda system shows us as the owner I will be taking the car elsewhere to somewhere where they seem to have a bit more understanding, and a willingness to help even if it means travelling further afield.

Apologies for the length of the post, and for coming across as a ranter.

Richard

ps. The other lad on the service desk was much nicer, and more helpful altogether. He was offering a deal on servicing where we get 2 services and one MOT for £299 which seems not to bad, at least he was engaging enough to speak to.

Sorry I was not around last night.

Great report back Richard, what a pathetic lot this dealership is .

How many successful engine changes have this lot done.

Is this a recommended dealer in the area George. if so god help us, then Skoda need to audit them post haste.

Get that e-mailed returned Case No. from Skoda UK CUTOMER SERVICES.

SO IT'S A 2 WEEK INITIAL TEST BY YOU, JUST TO VERIFY YOUR NUMBERS .

Don't forget keep all invoices for oil purchased ,ideally from Skoda Dealer, as you  should be able to get your money back eventually from Skoda UK,AS OTHERS HAVE DONE.

OR GET THE DEALER TO SUPPLY YOU FREE OF CHARGE, unlikely with this lot.

Catch up later.

• Like 1

Sounds like I have a good one.  Didn’t use any in the first 2000 miles but I have just finished the free 1 litre bottle given to me by the dealer and now at 6000 miles.

Engine CTHE built August 2013.

• Like 2

Sounds like I have a good one.  Didn’t use any in the first 2000 miles but I have just finished the free 1 litre bottle given to me by the dealer and now at 6000 miles.

Engine CTHE built August 2013.

exactly the same as my CTHE 1 litre every 6k...... I'm happy with that .

sorry to hear of OP experiances :(

Are any of the experienced users on the forum who have gone through the oil consumption problems with Skoda UK able to tell me roughly how long it takes for Skoda UK to acknowledge or respond to the submission of the online complaint? I submitted the online on Tuesday 24 June and telephoned Customer Services on the same day, but as yet have had no response officially or otherwise to the online submission.

I have a concern that the delay may be down to two differing registration numbers complicating matters more than they need to be, we bought the car with the original plate (KY12 ***) but have since changed the plate to transfer my wife's cherished plate onto the vehicle. I have a feeling that the submission contained the private registration plate and Skoda have been unable to tie it up to the original plate, though I had hoped that Parks Skoda had updated the feedback system so the car and complaint should cross reference.

I haven't checked the oil in a few days, but will do again tomorrow for signs of loss. I'm thinking it would be wise to get a letter off to Skoda UK as back up for myself if they haven't confirmed receipt of the online submission. Are they more or less liable to respond to that?

Cheers for any advice.

ps. I think the issue with the second key is to be successfully resolved thanks to the efforts of one lad on the service desk at the selling dealer (Arnold Clark Ford, Linwood) who seems to have grabbed the bull by the horns. He's arranging for supply and coding in of the key at the nearby Skoda garage as well as fuel as a goodwill gesture. The salesman left the mess but the service lad has been excellent.

When I had a warranty problem with my car (thanks God not oil related but still getting frustrated) I wrote an old fashioned letter and sent it First Class Recorded to Alastair Reynolds (Or whatever his name was as I cannot remember now) chief of Skoda UK explaining my position. I must admit that this had a very immediate effect and was resolved to my full satisfaction without any problems. Progress Skoda Letchworth were excellent at assisting me as well. 

One thing we have to remeber is that cars are mechanical things and fail. If this is due to unspecified design/manufacturing reason as is the case with twincharger oil guzzlers then customers can expect full cooperation from Skoda. 

It is entirely unacceptable to any "Gordon" or such like to try to smart ar$e you into confusion sittingbull and a written complaint should be made to the Dealership's Principal and copied to SUK. 

If we do not stand up for ourselves nobody is going to do it for us I am afraid...

Problem is who is going recompense us for lost time, stress and bad taste left in our mouths following such experiences...

Are any of the experienced users on the forum who have gone through the oil consumption problems with Skoda UK able to tell me roughly how long it takes for Skoda UK to acknowledge or respond to the submission of the online complaint? I submitted the online on Tuesday 24 June and telephoned Customer Services on the same day, but as yet have had no response officially or otherwise to the online submission.

I have a concern that the delay may be down to two differing registration numbers complicating matters more than they need to be, we bought the car with the original plate (KY12 ***) but have since changed the plate to transfer my wife's cherished plate onto the vehicle. I have a feeling that the submission contained the private registration plate and Skoda have been unable to tie it up to the original plate, though I had hoped that Parks Skoda had updated the feedback system so the car and complaint should cross reference.

I haven't checked the oil in a few days, but will do again tomorrow for signs of loss. I'm thinking it would be wise to get a letter off to Skoda UK as back up for myself if they haven't confirmed receipt of the online submission. Are they more or less liable to respond to that?

Cheers for any advice.

ps. I think the issue with the second key is to be successfully resolved thanks to the efforts of one lad on the service desk at the selling dealer (Arnold Clark Ford, Linwood) who seems to have grabbed the bull by the horns. He's arranging for supply and coding in of the key at the nearby Skoda garage as well as fuel as a goodwill gesture. The salesman left the mess but the service lad has been excellent.

Richard,

It can be up to a week but normally about 4 days with an initial response, allocating a Case No,. This will normally be a administration level person with a general reply  requesting  additional information.

I would send another e-mail via the Skoda Contact on website again correcting or pointing out the registration change. in addition you could give them your Vin No as the cross check.

The senior guy, Tom Chadwick is away on holiday until the 8th July ,as I am waiting a detailed reply and discussion with him on his return. He does however have a right hand man Ian Watson, so it may be worth calling him to save some time. But cover with the suggested e-mail anyway.

The other right hand man Dan Wilson is the one that said 'Do not listen to things on Briskoda'  i think,

& ''High Oil Consumption & Engine failure is overblown'.

There are guys in this Team that do not even know about 'Service Campaign on DSG's'.

Are this crowd for real.?

Skoda UK Customer Services need to get People with some Technical knowledge of the Product they sell and the issues they suffer from onto the matters.

Come on

ALASDAIR STEWART,

SKODA UK BRAND DIRECTOR, sort out Skoda UK Customer Care.

• Like 1

The other right hand man Dan Wilson is the one that said 'Do not listen to things on Briskoda'  i think,

& ''High Oil Consumption & Engine failure is overblown'.

There are guys in this Team that do not even know about 'Service Campaign on DSG's'.

Are this crowd for real.?

Skoda UK Customer Services need to get People with some Technical knowledge of the Product they sell and the issues they suffer from onto the matters.

Come on

ALASDAIR STEWART,

SKODA UK BRAND DIRECTOR, sort out Skoda UK Customer Care.

Chocolate Teapot springs to mind!!

there are only 1,800 CAVE engines in vRS registered in the UK.

There are still more good than bad ones in the 2 and a bit of the engines production, 2010-2012 in the Skodas.

There is no rhyme or reason to which ones are bad.

But there is various things that cause issues among them.  

But thrashing them and using hard is not a cause any more than normally driven ones, looked after and treated with great care..

Sort drives where the engine does not get up to temperature before stopping again does seem to use oil more than doing longer trips.

But not with all engines.

Overfilled & Underfilled with oil causes issues,  and spark plugs on some,

But Engine Management & lack of knowledge from Skoda Technicians, & lack of Quality Control at the VW Engine Build Factory is a common issue.

Lads, thanks for the continued invaluable advice on how to proceed with this and for linking to the letter issued by AustenW.

I have this morning issued another email using the Skoda UK contact form on the website, to clarify the position around cherished plate transfer that may have led to some confusion at their end as their system will have another registration shown. I have taken the opportunity to update them on my visit to their representing dealer and the approach taken by the chap I dealt with, also informed them of the self test I've been asked and somewhat reluctantly agreed to carry out at the dealers behest. I have copied it below, and will update you as things move along. 

In terms of consumption, I checked the car this morning on a cold dip at 645am and found that there is drop in level according to the stick after 352 miles, the level shown is now just below the halfway point between the markers. I'm uncertain as to how much oil takes the reading from the bottom of the marker to the top so can't for certain say how much has been used, I am guessing though that by this time next week I will have already topped up thus proving the point about consumption. And that saddens me as I had hoped to have one of the good ones.

Copy of the latest email.

Good Morning,

I contacted Skoda UK using this method on Tuesday morning of last week to notify of an oil consumption related issue that seems to exist with the above vehicle.

It has dawned on me that the registration above is our recently added (to this vehicle) cherished plate and that Skoda UK records will show the original registration, that being KY12 ***. I apologise for any inconvenience or confusion caused.

All other points in my earlier contact still stand, and I am eager to hear from Skoda UK as to what I as a first time Skoda owner of only 4 weeks ought to expect you to do next in order to resolve the issue of oil consumption.

To cut the long story short, the car (at the time of contact last week) had used almost exactly 2 litres of oil in just under 1300 miles, a figure which I felt was both unreasonable and unacceptable. I spoke to Daniel at Skoda UK and he was excellent, though at that stage he was unable to do much as we weren't shown as registered keepers or owners on Skoda UK system. Daniel advised that I needed to go to the nearest Skoda dealer with proofs of ownership to have the system updated so that we could then start to progress this matter, and indeed have a look to see if all warranty work, recalls and or campaign work such as DSG oil change had been carried out.

It would be remiss of me not to mention the attitude of the person representing Skoda UK at the Parks dealership in Hamilton. His name is Gordon and I believe him to be the service manager. Bearing in mind I was only there on this occasion to have the system updated, I felt as if there was an inquisition ongoing as to why I would want the details changed, and when I told him of the potential issue and the Skoda UK advice things unfortunately didn't improve much.

In Gordon's opinion, and contrary to the advice offered by Skoda UK not only in their handbook but elsewhere, it is reasonable for a car to use 1 litre of oil every 500 miles. I disagreed then, and still do now. As does the Skoda handbook as I pointed out to him. In the end he has asked me to self test the consumption by seeing how much oil the car uses over a two week period, regardless of the mileage covered. Reluctantly, but in order to at least try to make some progress, I have agreed to do this.

But it is my opinion that Skoda UK will have a methodology they apply to complaints such as this, and the owner self testing is unlikely to form part of that methodology. In fact, I believe Skoda UK are more likely to want to adhere to their own Customer Promise statement and carry out any work, tests or modifications themselves.

I hope this email clarifies the confusion around registration numbers, the original registration on your system would have been for KY12 *** now changed to N44 ***.

I also hope that my experience of working with Skoda as a first time Skoda customer of only 4 weeks is going to be a very positive one. I'm sure Skoda UK will share my optimism for a happy outcome.

By way of a short update on the self test on consumption, the car has travelled 352 miles since last Tuesday and the level on a cold dip test carried out at 645am this morning shows a loss of oil, but not yet near or below the bottom marker. In fairness to the Skoda dealer I will not check again until next Tuesday which is when the suggested 14 days comes to an end.

Thank you for taking time to read my two emails, last week and this morning. I hope you are able to assist as me and my wife love the wee car, and having invested the better part of 11k into it are keen to make sure it is a sound investment.

Vehicle: Skoda Fabia vrs 1.4Tsi 180
Selling garage: Arnold Clark (Ford) Linwood
Date purchased: 02/06/14
Date of first registration: 04/2012

Look forward to hearing from you soon,

Richard 
  • Like 1

I did a cold dip this morning after Putting in a New Filter and 3.6 litres of Oil on Friday afternoon.

It is between the top of the Smooth area above the crosshatch and the bottom of the 'top orange marker'.

That will be showing as the 'top of the cross hatch' later on when i do a Hot Dip.