Yeti 140 4x4 dsg or manual ?

105CRTDI

Hi

Looking for owners thoughts on living with a 140 Tdi DSG And Manual Gearbox Yetis,

How do you rate them for day to day driving and what sort of average mpg do you get.

Also what do you think to the Driving Dynamics ,Do you like the steering,Handling,Is there much road and wind noise ?

Any info appreciated ,As I am thinking of getting a Yeti but not sure to go Auto or Manual.

Thanks.

I've had both manual and DSG 140s, DSG wins every time.

My DSG has only 7k miles at the moment so the mileage isn't as good as my 60k manual, yet. I got 650 miles from a tankful in the manual, the DSG is currently giving 600 miles on my current epic trip around Europe. The main difference is the lack of gear shifting (naturally) which is very useful around the very twisty passes of Switzerland and Italy. It's also much more relaxing in the stop/start nightmare of the M25 etc.

• Like 1

Also what do you think to the Driving Dynamics ,Do you like the steering,Handling,Is there much road and wind noise ?

Very tricky to answer this sort of question without knowing what it's being compared to (possibly an Octavia  mk3 2.0 Tdi 150 SE 4x4??). 

But for a compact SUV, driving dynamics, eg steering and handling are generally reckoned to be good, if not excellent. Ride is a little unsettled but generally OK (probably slightly better on 16" than on the more common 17" wheels). Noise is quite subjective, but I'd rate wind noise as good and tyre noise as average. On my CR170 Yeti, I wish engine and tyre noise was a bit better but it is all relative.

The DSG is better for relaxed and town driving.

The manual is better for involvment (not many people seem to care about this, but I do) and fuel economy as the DSG box does reduce the fuel economy by a noticable aount.

140 manual 4x4 owner, now having done 82k miles.

Fuel economy over that period has averaged just under 50 mpg, including off-road use in low gears and towing a caravan lots.

Handling is brilliant and very easy to embarrass more sporty car owners. Some people report some "problems" with the harshness of the 17" wheels but I've never found it a problem.

Wind and tyre noise is low.

• Like 1

Hi 105CRTDI,

It all comes down to personal choice based on mileage, and if mostly town or motorway driving.

After 3 months ownership and 6000 miles, I LIKE big time, and it's my 1st Yeti.

Your overall like/dislike of the handling will depend on your own style of driving.

For me, any car has to be auto. The Yeti I have is a very smooth gear change and almost not noticeable in the change.

40mpg on mine I think is a bit on the low side, I have a heavy right foot and where safe, I drive to the limit.

On good roads the Yeti is fairly quiet, such as 140kph in France.

Good luck in your choice.

Hi

Thanks all for your thoughts on the Yeti

I have Octavia 3 4x4 at the moment,But wish i had bought an Auto,No new Octavia 4x4 out with Auto untill the Scout comes out in a few months and that will be too Exspensive,I have the chance to swop mine for a New Yeti Auto and wanted to see what you all thought

About them.

Thanks.

I'm retired and can avoid heavy traffic so I would have preferred a manual but SWMBO dictates DSG.

If you like a LOW driving position and high speed motorway cruising get a sedan, but for a 'smart' SUV choice it's hard to go past the Yeti and used to make a statement (not so much now in FL guise) IMO.

It's not boring and hard to not love it......tight turning circle, compact but adaptable and commodious.......if they're your priorities, why not?

I've said it before and I'm happy to say it again.  My first Yeti was a 140 manual and it was brilliant.  My current Yeti is a 140 DSG and it's even better!  Do test drive a DSG if you can to see whether you really miss the manual gear change.

DSG 140 TDi owner here and love it. I wouldn't ever have a manual, though I am capable of changing gears myself.

Yes the DSG is a complex piece of kit and there are reports of it being a bit on the unreliable side,. once higher mileages are reached.

I average 45 mpg on our rural roads.

Do give it a try, with the 140 TDi engine it puts a smile on my face every day, particularly when I leave someone tailgating me way behind. :rofl:

• Like 1

The manual is better for involvment (not many people seem to care about this, but I do)

Agree 100%.

BUT, that all changes when you fit paddleshift to the DSG.

I would never go back to a manual now.

THE reason for auto is left foot braking.....saved my bacon a couple of times when car in front at a roundabout went ....then didn't......phew.

Plus better economy from greater opportunity to keep some momentum at intersections and heavy moving traffic.

But for country driving I still love a manual plus long term simplicity/reliability.

THE reason for auto is left foot braking.....saved my bacon a couple of times when car in front at a roundabout went ....then didn't......phew.

Plus better economy from greater opportunity to keep some momentum at intersections and heavy moving traffic.

But for country driving I still love a manual plus long term simplicity/reliability.

Agreed with the economy. Even with the overall lower economy of our car compared to our old manual PD130 due to our routes etc we are getting better MPG on average out of the Octavia.

I also find the DSG better from a safety point of view. Like just yesterday on an NSL road the car in front slammed on and turned without notice so I had to swerve to avoid and with the DSG it was a simple matter of pushing the throttle to get a down change and some pulling from the front wheels.

Your hand spend more time on the wheel too.

DSG every time for me now!

Phil

If you regret the current manual, then get the DSG. I'd quite like to have found a DSG with flappy paddles, as the Yeti is the family wagon, but I find the manual to be a very slick and easy gearbox to use; it shouldn't be a problem with a torquey diesel.

It's personal choice.

Personally DSG....very smooth and relaxing to drive, Plenty of power if required.

Try one....there are a few about

I came from a 110 2WD manual. As soon as I tried the DSG I was converted. The MPG is lower than the 110 but the ease of driving is worth the slight penalty.

Fred

I came from a 110 2WD manual. As soon as I tried the DSG I was converted. The MPG is lower than the 110 but the ease of driving is worth the slight penalty.

Fred

Agreed. It's a price worth paying IMO. I'm even happy happy the extra £50 a year tax it costs me.

See if you can get a test drive of a Yeti DSG. I'm sure you'll find one somewhere.

Phil

Re post #6,

My maths are up the wall, I could have said I pressed the wrong number.

It should read 130kph NOT 140kph.

100 lines for me saying; 'I must read what I type' before hitting post.

Please accept my grovelling apology.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on it,

I will have to have a drive with the DSG,I have driven a manual 140 Tdi YETI Adventure 4x4 and was surprised by the way it went around corners,Very impressive.

Cheers.

I had my CR140 DSG for 41,000 miles.

Fuel economy wasn't great, but driving around a congested South London was the cause of that and no car is great in those conditions. My average was around 38mpg. It would do 50mpg on a long run if the speed was kept down to 60/65.

The ride I would describe as nervous. It was quite noisy, but quieter than my pervious Octavia mk2 estate. The electric seats were superb. Handling was great and it was fast.

I mean, well, it was remapped and had a MFSW with flappy paddles. I was the first to have one retrofitted.

The gear changes are very quick, and with the right combination (for example, golf mk vii R) will beat a manual to 62mph with ease.

So my economy was probably better than a standard one driven under the same conditions.

Sold it for the more comfortable and quieter Freelander 1, which isn't as quick or economical, but has masses of ground clearance compared to my Yeti, approx 70mm more which makes a huge difference, but I digress.

The Yeti is a very capable car and deserving of all the good reviews and publicity.

But.....

The boot is tiny compared the Octavia.

I guess higher DSG fuel consumption is down to running the hydraulic pump for clutch actuation.

I would have thought something electromechanical would have been a more energy efficient system.......perhaps a future regenerative system one day.

Either way, the more solenoids or pumps the greater the complexity and chance of failure.

That's what keeps making a manual attractive to me.

After almost three years ownership from new of a 4x4 140 hp DSG - Zero problems (Touch wood....) pleasure to drive.

Edited by oriki

105CRDTI...I ordered a new Yeti a month back,I went to the showroom fully anticipating to order a 170 manual,after driving the manual I took the DSG out and it was like driving a completely different car, its so smooth (even though I pride myself on my gear changes) and just made for a far more relaxed driving experience. As for reliability of the DSG I had a manual Fabia 1 which needed a gear box rebuild after 2 years...with a warranty it shouldn't be a concern.