Sound Gen in vRS

I've just got mine today, in Sport mode and I can't hear a sausage. Don't know what everyone is moaning about!! Either mines not working or I'm deaf.

If it was working in Sport you'd know about it.

I don't understand why it's not working then. How do I check? Could canton play a factor?

switch modes while driving at a constant speed with highish revs, no canton has no effect.

If it was working in Sport you'd know about it.

Yes - you definitely would notice it in sport mode. 

But it is always there in eco, normal and sport but normal is quite a bit louder than eco and sport is a lot louder than normal.

It's taken me 2 weeks and 850miles to get used to the idea that I'm not about to break something and realise that the noise it makes isn't actually the engine screaming in protest.  I actually quite like it but it would wear me out to listen to it in sport mode all the time (especially on a long journey). But actually I would find sport mode generally a bit too full-on to use all the time (on my DSG it really does leave gear changes far to late for my liking but that may be how it should be for a rally driver - perhaps I'm just getting old).

Now I've just re-read what I've typed above I think I'd like to unplug the sound generator just to properly hear what the engine really sounds like in sport mode - which is impossible with the sound gen plugged in.

So if a little box can help fool me into thinking I'm still driving a petrol - even for a split second, when I've got my ears stuffed full of cotton wool and the stereo on full blast - that can only be a good thing in my eyes....

I think the little box you require comes from DTUK

• Like 1

I had a nice drive home last night and I really enjoy the sound it makes, yes I know its a diesel, but since I can only hear the sound gen its all good in my mind!

Seemed like it was all plugged in so unless I've got a faulty one the volume must be turned right down. I can't hear it at all.

Must be faulty then.

It's taken me 2 weeks and 850miles to get used to the idea that I'm not about to break something and realise that the noise it makes isn't actually the engine screaming in protest. 

Now I've just re-read what I've typed above I think I'd like to unplug the sound generator just to properly hear what the engine really sounds like in sport mode - which is impossible with the sound gen plugged in.

I unplugged it yesterday and have to say that it was very nice to be able to just hear the car itself.  It actually sounds quite good on its own without the sound generator and I can get a much better sense of what I'm doing to it when I'm swapping between modes, changing gear (when I put the DSG into manual mode) and pressing the accelerator (sometimes to the floor!). 

What might be fun is to take a wire from the sound generator lead and feed it through to the dash board with a switch so I can turn it on and off at will (mid-rev, mid-acceleration, in different modes to see what it really does sound like in each mode).  Any thoughts on this idea?

• Like 1

What might be fun is to take a wire from the sound generator lead and feed it through to the dash board with a switch so I can turn it on and off at will (mid-rev, mid-acceleration, in different modes to see what it really does sound like in each mode).  Any thoughts on this idea?

That's actually a very good idea… as long as it doesn't cause problems with the car's seemingly over-sensitive electrics, but shouldn't think that's a problem if it can just be disconnected with no errors thrown up on the dashboard.

We've already got a Mode switch… and this could be placed next to it as a 'Mood' switch! 

I'm not 100% sure about this (more testing needed) but I think since unplugging my sound generator something odd has been happening with sport mode.  Leaving it in Sport Mode and then coming back to the car after a switch-off it remains in Sport Mode but the DSG seems to be in D mode rather than S.  Only by switching out of 'Sport' using the vRSMode button, into 'Normal' and back to 'Sport' does the Mode selection change the DSG to Sport Mode. 

I'm not 100% sure about this (more testing needed) but I think since unplugging my sound generator something odd has been happening with sport mode.  Leaving it in Sport Mode and then coming back to the car after a switch-off it remains in Sport Mode but the DSG seems to be in D mode rather than S.  Only by switching out of 'Sport' using the vRSMode button, into 'Normal' and back to 'Sport' does the Mode selection change the DSG to Sport Mode. 

Perfectly normal on a DSG, but agreed rather odd - my Elegance does this as well if turned off with Sport mode engaged.

When you select 'D' on the DSG you need to flick the DSG lever back again to engage 'S' instead of 'D' after the car has been turned off. I am still not 100% certain that the steering remains in sport mode as I can hardly tell the difference between the 2 modes.

What happens when in Sport mode if you put the car in Park and then go back to 'D' on the DSG - are you in 'D' or 'S'?

OK - probably I'm just noticing it since I've been experimenting with different modes (including a lot more 'sport mode' driving) since disconnecting the sound gen.

I've taken delivery of my VRS TDI today and there's definitely no sound generator in mine either. In the dealer demo I tried it was very noticeable in sport mode, however in mine in sport mode I can't hear it at all. Mine seems to be the second VRS like this is the last couple of weeks- maybe Skoda have removed them?

I love mine too. Such fun.

Fun would be if you could programme it through the input of an SD card and the infotainment to make a range of different noises!!!

Use your imagination on that one…

Sorry… been a hot day and I've been on the Crabbies for the last 6 hours!

I've taken delivery of my VRS TDI today and there's definitely no sound generator in mine either. In the dealer demo I tried it was very noticeable in sport mode, however in mine in sport mode I can't hear it at all. Mine seems to be the second VRS like this is the last couple of weeks- maybe Skoda have removed them?

Interesting.  I took delivery of my vRS TDI on the 28th and had been wondering what all the fuss was about over the sound generator and trying to work out whether what I could hear was real engine noise or something artificial.  What I couldn't understand was that I couldn't tell the difference between Sport and the other modes.  All of which would be explained if, as you suggest, they're no longer fitting the sound generator.

Can anyone who has got it suggest a simple test I could try that would make the SG very obvious if I did have it?  I.e. in what situations is it most noticeable?