Service Schedule

Does anybody have a complete service schedule for the 1.4TSi Octy mk3?

Mine has done 14k miles on long life oil, computer says both service and inspection are due in 4600 miles, all good, but what exactly is due? What is the recommended replacement interval for all non-oil related items; i.e. air filter, fuel filter, plugs, timing belt etc.

In the past I have generally had my cars serviced by an independent using genuine OEM parts, but if I don't know what actually needs doing how can I compare the price of my local Skoda service centre to anybody else?

And can an independent make the same "inspection" service that Skoda does, how does he know what needs doing?

Does anybody have a complete service schedule for the 1.4TSi Octy mk3?

Mine has done 14k miles on long life oil, computer says both service and inspection are due in 4600 miles, all good, but what exactly is due? What is the recommended replacement interval for all non-oil related items; i.e. air filter, fuel filter, plugs, timing belt etc.

In the past I have generally had my cars serviced by an independent using genuine OEM parts, but if I don't know what actually needs doing how can I compare the price of my local Skoda service centre to anybody else?

And can an independent make the same "inspection" service that Skoda does, how does he know what needs doing?

Anyone? I'd quite like to know the answer too!

Can your independent reset the service interval on variable servicing??

Whilst the car is still under warranty I wouldn't bother trying to save £30 or so on a service, if you have full dealer service history and something goes wrong that is classed as a wear and tear item (shocks, clutch etc.) Skoda have been known to provide a significant contribution in terms of good will.

If you don't have the service history you won't get any good will out of them.

• Like 1

Agree 100% with Andy, and I find that the dealers are quite competitive, I recently set up a service/maint plan which included some discounted add-ons such as mot, brake fluid change and air con service, and the plan knocked off a further 8% compared to individual service rates and you can pay monthly, interest free and its protected against future price rises.

• Like 1

Received this today from Skoda UK Customer Services, Dissapointingly lacking in detail considering most of the regular replacement items are in the last column with no interval specified. I have requested further clarification.

post-117788-0-43360900-1401741025_thumb.jpg

Matt's monthly payment deal looks interesting, I might speak to my local dealer about that.

Looking at the above again, the green column "inspection" service looks like something I could do myself, in fact half of it I check regularly anyway. The visual brake inspection is perhaps the only thing that looks like I'm not qualified, that one looks like paying for a stamp to me.

I do 13500 miles a year, so I reckon I have 3 options on the servicing:

a) get it switched to time/distance servicing and get it serviced every 8 months

B) leave it variable, after the first service it will need an inspection after 1 year, but the oil change won't be due for another 5000 miles after that, so still end up taking it more than once a year as the inspection and oil services diverge.

c) leave it set to variable, but get the oil changed at each inspection and just treat it as an annual service

What would you do? What do you do?

You could pay for an hour of access to ERWIN and print off the full service schedule, ie the one dealers access - for your cars.

DISCLAIMER: Do not rely on any information below without checking it yourself, I am wholly unqualified to read the ERWIN documentation in a timely manner!

ERWIN, brilliant! Didn't even know it existed. Paid my fiver (Eur 6.05, that's about a fiver isn't it?) and pored over stuff that could be written more clearly! From what I could work out for my 1.4TSi it's:

Air filter 56k miles or 6 years

Plugs 37k miles or 4 years

Pollen filter 37k miles or 2 years

Timing belt - no specified change interval, but to be checked after 150k miles and every 18k miles after that! :o

Found references to checking the coolant but not changing it.

Brake fluid after 3 years then every 2 years afterwards, but I think I'd seen that in the handbook already.

Not sure I like the idea of a "belt for life", but since the car's only a year old I won't worry about it for a little while yet.

DISCLAIMER: Do not rely on any information below without checking it yourself, I am wholly unqualified to read the ERWIN documentation in a timely manner!

ERWIN, brilliant! Didn't even know it existed. Paid my fiver (Eur 6.05, that's about a fiver isn't it?) and pored over stuff that could be written more clearly! From what I could work out for my 1.4TSi it's:

Air filter 56k miles or 6 years

Plugs 37k miles or 4 years

Pollen filter 37k miles or 2 years

Timing belt - no specified change interval, but to be checked after 150k miles and every 18k miles after that! :o

Found references to checking the coolant but not changing it.

Brake fluid after 3 years then every 2 years afterwards, but I think I'd seen that in the handbook already.

Not sure I like the idea of a "belt for life", but since the car's only a year old I won't worry about it for a little while yet.

air filter at 56k or six years?! No way? If true, that's ridiculous IMO.

Timing belt - no specified change interval, but to be checked after 150k miles and every 18k miles after that! 

Interesting. 

While looking at http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/octavia-2013/?section=good it said " ....1.4 TSI 140 is timing belt, not chain and reader thinking of buying one was honestly quoted by the dealer £374 in 4 years time for replacing the belt" 

So question is: how can you inspect a timing belt? Normally manufacturers say "Replace after xxx miles".

Any ideas?

Have received a response from Skoda UK Customer Services. Some variation in converting km to miles (i.e. they use the standard multiples of 10,000 miles, where I tried to convert it properly) but otherwise the only difference to what I got from Erwin is the air filter, which the have at 4 years / 40k miles, same as the spark plugs.

Regarding the honest john comment, there has been discussion on other boards that on the Octy II there were some belt based engines that had long life all over europe, except in the UK where dealers recommended replacing them after 4 years even though the same belts were lasting 10 years on the continent. Don't know the details, but maybe this is the same effect? Try looking at the Octy II forum, or maybe one of the old hands can enlighten us?

Be thankful you guys have that much. In Australia, our belt change shows at 105K (so ~65K Miles!). We aren't allowed variable servicing (15K (so 9.4K miles)/12month only), and skoda is managed by vw australia, who's main aim is to screw skoda out of sales and provide **** support.....

But the cars are bloody good value for money, abeit for crazy long wait times.

Have received a response from Skoda UK Customer Services. Some variation in converting km to miles (i.e. they use the standard multiples of 10,000 miles, where I tried to convert it properly) but otherwise the only difference to what I got from Erwin is the air filter, which the have at 4 years / 40k miles, same as the spark plugs.

Regarding the honest john comment, there has been discussion on other boards that on the Octy II there were some belt based engines that had long life all over europe, except in the UK where dealers recommended replacing them after 4 years even though the same belts were lasting 10 years on the continent. Don't know the details, but maybe this is the same effect? Try looking at the Octy II forum, or maybe one of the old hands can enlighten us?

My dealer also quoted 4 years or 80k miles for timing belt replacement on MkIII but MkII service book says CR engines don't need new belt until 120k miles, I smell a rat! Surely, the MkIII should at least match the service intervals of the earlier model?

• 3 years later...

Sorry for waking such an old thread, but the thread heading fits...

My Octavia III 1.4tsi is coming up to 3 years old,  The car data (accessible via the amundsen Mib1) says I have an "inspection service" coming up in about a month, which is also when the car is due it's first MOT test. The next oil service is over a year away.

I bought the car at 16 months old, the previous owner got a service done at a year and the dealer set some of the timers so they no longer tally with the schedule you'd expect, It did have an oil service sept. last year.

The car does 3000-4000 miles a year mostly on longer runs, a lot of the time it's just parked for days (we have a fabia we use as a runabout).

Now it strikes me that what is in the inspection service is actually covered by the MOT - Is it worth doing the interim, or just get the counter reset ... then at 4 years do oil, filters, spark plugs, brake fluid, etc.?