Which Fuel should I use?

Hello all,

I am guessing as the Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP is not a 'super-car' that I would not need to use RON98 petrol (in particular) Shell's V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded as opposed to RON95 standard unleaded.

My question is - Is it 'okay' to use RON 98 and will it bring any performance benefits to the car?

Cheers,

Leo

Put decent oil in it, change it on schedule or sooner (especially if it does a lot of short journeys), and make sure it doesn't get low (hydraulic chain tensioner can make for tears if it doesn't get enough oil, quickly enough, from start-up).

lol....ok.

Next question is: synthetic or semi-synthetic oil, or does that not matter?

The viscosity of the oil is important but also other things which determine how efficient the oil is at various temperatures "so it matters! "however the spec can be found in your owners manual or by ringing your local dealer. As long as its got the vw code then it should be fine. You can spend a load of money on high spec oils if you like it wont give any extra performance neither will it be kinder on your engine it will just leave you with less money in your pocket that you could put towards a car that's not got a 1.2 engine in it. That's not to say there is anything wrong with a 1.2 but by your initial post I guess you wish it had more guts!

Yes indeed, I went on my first long-ish haul trip over the weekend and I was doing 65mph on the motorway in 5th (or at least I think I was in 5th!) but the rev counter was way over 5000rpm (almost touching the red part of the dial !

Which 1.2 engine do you have? The 6-valve or 12-valve?

Here are the engine plots, as you can see, the 6v has nothing left to give above about 4500rpm, and I think you'll probably shorten its life significantly if you try too hard.

12Plots_zpsc011bb33.jpg

Hmmm, im wondering then if I was in 3rd gear?

(new driver here!)

....but then, would 3rd gear take me up to 65mph?

Regarding the valve count......i'm not 100% sure; It's a Fabia 1.2 HTP (2003) Classic. 54Bhp, Hope that helps?

3rd gear sounds like a strong possibility.  65 is only about 3200rpm on our AZQ (in fifth!) if I remember correctly.  May well have a different-ratio gearbox though.

The 54Bhp is the 6v engine, AWY code.

:S oh dear......well at least the valves have probably had a good clean out..... i'll take it out again this weekend on a test run and see if i can find 5th.

Thanks for your help :-)

:S oh dear......well at least the valves have probably had a good clean out..... i'll take it out again this weekend on a test run and see if i can find 5th.

Is this bait lol your telling me you don't know the difference between 3rd and 5th gear, and your not female? :ph34r:  :x

lol....ok.

Next question is: synthetic or semi-synthetic oil, or does that not matter?

Just keep it topped up and get it changed according to the service schedule, it really doesn't matter, it's a basic engine and basic oil will be fine as long as it meets the spec.

It's on the 1.4 16v engine that needs the 98ron. The 1.2 is perfectly happy on normal petrol.

Is this bait lol your telling me you don't know the difference between 3rd and 5th gear, and your not female? :ph34r:  :x

Ah bless. Leave him alone.

He's a new driver and we all make mistakes.

But it does definitely sound like you were in 3rd and not 5th.

Phil

It's on the 1.4 16v engine that needs the 98ron. The 1.2 is perfectly happy on normal petrol.

Ah bless. Leave him alone.

He's a new driver and we all make mistakes.

But it does definitely sound like you were in 3rd and not 5th.

Phil

Thanks.... i'll give it another try this weekend. :notme:

Yes indeed, I went on my first long-ish haul trip over the weekend and I was doing 65mph on the motorway in 5th (or at least I think I was in 5th!) but the rev counter was way over 5000rpm (almost touching the red part of the dial !

That's not right at all. I'd say you were definitely in third gear. You won't get many miles per gallon like that! :D

Thanks.... i'll give it another try this weekend. :notme:

Hehehe, you gave it a proper Italian tune-up :D

Let us know how you get on this weekend

I have a 1.2 htp

I did a (not especially scientific, just with a calculator) comparison between Shell unleaded and the V-power, both urban and m-way

I didn't find any significant difference in mpg or 'performance'

I'm prepared to believe it might be different with a bigger / more high performance car doing bigger miles, or if you're into track, etc. etc.

Whether v power really prolongs engine life - no idea.

However, my father in law who worked for Shell all his life agrees with the commonly held view that 'supermarket' petrol, and 'random local garage brand' petrol should be avoided, as they may not benefit from the additives that 'the big boys' will add.

(I don't pretend to be an expert, just going by what the Shell - lifer told me)

Edited by teutonic

My AWY is 3300rpm at 62 with 3 people on board!

Interestingly, I usually use Sainsburys bog standard 95 fuel and get about 260-280 miles from a brimmed tank. I waited until the fuel needle didn't move when turning the car on and then filled the car to the brim with Shell's V-Power Nitro+ 98 and it seemed to go a lot further, It was into 280-290 miles before the light came on and i think it went to about 320 miles before i bottled it and filled up again.

This was by no means scientific or accurately measured, i just drove like I usually do with a full tank of 95 when did the same again with the 98. 

For the record mine is the 1.4mpi (8v)

Which 1.2 engine do you have? The 6-valve or 12-valve?

Here are the engine plots, as you can see, the 6v has nothing left to give above about 4500rpm, and I think you'll probably shorten its life significantly if you try too hard.

12Plots_zpsc011bb33.jpg

Slightly off topic but where did you get this from? would be interesting to see what my engine is like!

Volkswagen group have some staff training booklets called Self Study Programme.  I had come across one or two of these in hard-copy form in both English and German languages via ebay.  A while ago someone very nice posted a set of links to a huge resource of them in pdf form (not all English language, but lots are) on another VAG forum I use. Big thumbs up to foxyjay! :sun:

In the above case the snapshot was from an English-language version of SSP 260 - 1.2 3 Cylinder Otto Engine. 

The older the car or engine you're looking for, the earlier in those listings you're likely to find what you want.

You'll see from the date of that thread that VAG don't seem to be in a screaming hurry to take down that site where they're hosted, but worth downloading now any that look interesting just in case, I reckon.