If delivered car is slightly different to car ordered...?

Alternatively, ask them to build the right thing and you'll drive the TSI until it arrives as a way of compensation :)

My dad ordered a VW Passat in November - it took 4 months to turn up, but came without the optional Xenon lights he'd ordered.  The dealer agreed that he could drive around in it for 2 months whilst they got him a car with the correct specification (no idea how they managed to get it in half the time).  He picked up the new one on Tuesday.

So I think the above is actually a very sensible suggestion.

• Like 1

This must be an issue with the Race Blue VRS - a colleague of mine had the same issue, only the dealer did not notice - he did when the diesel nozzle would not fit on its first fill up.  Unlike you he has tax free fuel in Germany and will swap it in 12 months time, so accepting the TSI was a no brainer!!!

In your position this is obviously not as easy to resolve - remember opinions on here are just that. Good luck with getting the right result for you - annoying, but overall you are likely to negotiate a better deal for the inconvenience in the longer term.

The answers simple ... if you can afford the extra costs of fuel and road fund, and are not worried about the depreciation hit, push for compensation and take the TSi :)

By all accounts the dsg is much nicer on a TSi anyhow. I'd offer a swap but mines manual, no winter pack or colour MD, does have cruise and nav though  :D

There's no way they'll reduce the cost of the TSI by enough to match the running costs of a TDI, so you'll be waiting for them to build you the correct car. The only question is what do you drive in the mean time.

We originally ordered a TSI Hatch, we got a future value of £8K on a 10K a year mileage contract, we changed to a Diesel Estate, this changed the future value to £11.5K on 10K a year mileage contract. £3.5K difference before it came out of the factory.

The difference in monthly contract went from £250 to £210 in favour of the Diesel, this is without the difference in cost of Fuel added in.

As the car took so long to arrive, the garage gave us a car to use whilst we waited for ours to arrive, this is without a major error on their part.

Additionally, we went from £140 Tax to £30, makes a big difference over the years.

If your happy with what is on offer, then the mistake does not matter, but if it is going to cost you in the long run then it may be worth looking at waiting, but overall it is your decision.

Edited by VRS133
  • Like 1

Tough decision but I think SUK HQ need to get involved immediately to resolve. 

A few years back a friend ordered an Audi A6 2.0 TDi - when it was delivered it was a 3.0 TDi. He was told he could keep it if he wanted to despite the price difference, but also the dealership were fine if he didn't and would let him use the 3.0 until a replacement was ordered/delivered.

To me that would seem the logical route - use the TSi which was delivered until the TDi is ordered/delivered to replace it.

Good Luck.

Yes. I reckon best result is you use it till yours is delivered. Makes them hurry up to sort it and you still get the car you wanted overall to use all the way through. They contribute to the extra fuel/insurance costs and when yours turns up, a 2015 spec and 2015 year model, its 6 months newer and you haven't had to pay anything extra anyway. In normal civilised driving there isn't that much difference between the motors anyway, if you drive like a nutjob most of the time the TSI is quicker albeit probably at the illegal end of the spectrum, but drive like that and the TDI will smash the TSI for fuel economy if you do so trade offs. My TDI gets way closer to its advertised economy than the TSI did when I had it.

Edited by snala

Problem is once you've been tooling around in the TSI for several months, moving into a TDI same spec is just going to feel like a downgrade......

• Like 2

I'm loving the comments about driving the nuts off the TSI whilst waiting for a TDI to be built and delivered...

What you're all failing to realise is that the TSI would effectively be a courtesy car - and the dealer will expect to sell it on afterwards.  So as well as trying to limit your mileage, they would most likely be very insistent that the car is treated with care, and that's fair enough IMHO.

(yes, most people thrash courtesy cars around a bit - but most people don't have them for more than a few days)

I'm loving the comments about driving the nuts off the TSI whilst waiting for a TDI to be built and delivered...

What you're all failing to realise is that the TSI would effectively be a courtesy car - and the dealer will expect to sell it on afterwards.  So as well as trying to limit your mileage, they would most likely be very insistent that the car is treated with care, and that's fair enough IMHO.

(yes, most people thrash courtesy cars around a bit - but most people don't have them for more than a few days)

It really is not your problem - they messed up your order and have to pay the price... And let's be honest, how much damage can you do to it - what percentage of people actually run cars in these days (I don't - drive it hard from day one for a freer revving engine in the long run). Obviously no one is suggesting you start having S&M sessions in the back, but I would think this is by far the fairest and easiest option for all parties!

EDIT: Having the TSI as a loaner, not S&M sessions is the fairest/easiest option!

Edited by josedebardi

It really is not your problem

It may not be the dealer's problem either - we have insufficient information to know whether the fault was the dealer's or the factory's.

It may not be the dealer's problem either - we have insufficient information to know whether the fault was the dealer's or the factory's.

Dealer/factory - it's all Skoda - you bought a Skoda, from Skoda - the dealer is just the front end of the deal. If the dealer wants to claim back compensation for use of the car for 6 months from Skoda because the factory messed it up so be it, but that's their call, not yours (unless the dealer order it wrong, in which case they should pay the price).

Seriously surprised that people are not of the mindset of, "YOU just *&$%ed up an order for a VERY expensive product that I graciously decided to buy from YOU, not BMW, not Vauxhall, not VW etc - now YOU are going to make it right!".

Edited by josedebardi
  • Like 1

Dealer/factory - it's all Skoda - you bought a Skoda, from Skoda - the dealer is just the front end of the deal. If the dealer wants to claim back compensation for use of the car for 6 months from Skoda because the factory messed it up so be it, but that's their call, not yours (unless the dealer order it wrong, in which case they should pay the price).

Seriously surprised that people are not of the mindset of, "YOU just *&$%ed up an order for a VERY expensive product that I graciously decided to buy from YOU, not BMW, not Vauxhall, not VW etc - now YOU are going to make it right!".

Your contract is with the dealer and not Skoda in the UK or abroad (though they will obviously assist to sort out some problems) so that's where any discussions need to start.

As for the attitude people are taking, it seems that most people here are actually being pretty sensible and not going off on a huge rant. Yes, it's obviously not the car he ordered, but mistakes happen. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by having a huge attitude. You'll find they are far more likely to be helpful and go the extra mile if you are polite and reasonable, and see what they can do for you.

• Like 2

I agree with Dr Zoidburg, it sounds like an honest mistake, annoying as it may be, I would of thought that they can sort you out with a loner car if you are desperate to get out of your current one!

Fingers crossed you will get a nice comp package, I would ask for as many options on the car as is possible, that would make me happy!

It's not a VERY expensive product at all.

And as someone else has pointed out, going off on one at the dealer is likely to result in them telling you to either take it or leave it.  Given the demand, they're not likely to be looking for a buyer for long.

To be honest, I don't think that screwing up the engine choice is an acceptable mistake. Maybe if he missed out on the VBF, or some of those Simply Clever packages, or footwell lights. But not the engine!  :D

At 25k/year I suggest you ask for what you ordered in the first place. The real world mpg figures are rather different than what Skoda would like you to believe. This is coming from a TSI VRS owner.

PS: Lets not forget the case of another briskodian who received a new car, just because the factory screwed up the paint on the roof/A pillar. A TSI instead of a TDI would more than warrant a new car.

• Like 1

Be worse if an SE/Elegance TDI had turned up instead wouldnt it. Rare mistakes happen and you get the opportunity to negotiate terms on a technically better vehicle running costs to consider or not.

It's not a VERY expensive product at all.

And as someone else has pointed out, going off on one at the dealer is likely to result in them telling you to either take it or leave it.  Given the demand, they're not likely to be looking for a buyer for long.

I don't know about you, but aside from my house, I don't tend to buys things more expensive than my cars... So while compared to other cars it is not VERY expensive, in terms of life expenditure, it is! Maybe you buy yacht's, rolex's and planes every other day?

And I was not suggesting going off on one at the dealer, or having any attitude. Only that I would have an expectation of the dealer and Skoda UK and above bending over backwards to make up this HUGE blunder. Yes it's a genuine mistake, and mistakes happen, but when they do happen the responsible party should do everything in their power to make it right. In this case, the simplest way to make it right is stick you in the TSI until the TDI arrives - so walk into the dealership with that as the goal and nothing less, and don't leave until you have it...

Problem is once you've been tooling around in the TSI for several months, moving into a TDI same spec is just going to feel like a downgrade......

It's a difficult one this. He will almost certainly notice the difference between the diesel and the petrol IF he gets in the tsi and drives it for any length of time.

Swapping over to the diesel he will love not seeing the fuel needle nose dive, but miss the refinement and driving pleasure of the tsi. I'm sorry but the petrol is simply leagues ahead of the diesel for a pure driving experience, no derv head can convince me otherwise. Driving a tsi costs more. That is the choice.

I took the tsi route after spending five years in a CR MK II vRS, before the CR I had a Petrol vRS and regretted changing to diesel.. I don't miss the noise, I do miss the economy.

Maybe you buy yacht's, rolex's and planes every other day?

If only... people would use apostrophes properly.  Never mind the if only... I could afford to live that lifestyle.