Hello from England

Hello

My name is Barnaby and I drive a Skoda Octavia (Mk3) 2.0 TDI 150.

I'm a car journalist working for What Car? magazine in the UK and I want to know what the Octavia drivers among you think of the car.

I've had mine since October 2013 and have done 12,000 miles (19,000km) so far. I love how much space there is for people and luggage, and that the diesel engine is powerful yet doesn't use much fuel. The interior is also pretty classy and the Octavia is good on long journeys. I'd like the ride to be slightly more comfortable, although the bumpy roads here in the UK certainly don't help!

Thanks, and I look forward to being part of the BRISKODA.net forum from now on.

Barnaby Jones

post-118219-0-81845000-1402394282_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello and Welcome Barnaby!!

We certainly do envy your job!

Hopefully you are finding good things with the car....  :thumbup:

Thank you!

Yes, the Octavia is really good: loads of space for the money and it's a really easy car to live with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone

Shameless plug time, but here are a couple of articles on whatcar.com about taking my Octavia on holiday to Belgium: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/june/1298569

There was plenty of space in the car and it was very economical, but it wasn't all good news.

Have you had a similar experience with your Octavia?

What do you and your passengers think of the car?

Please let me know – it'll be great to hear how you're getting on with your car.

Thanks

Barnaby

Welcome young man.

I drive a mk3 Octavia Elegance estate diesel dsg.

Comfort in the back, looked in the rear mirror and my wife and son sound a sleep so that box ticked.

I miss the foot rest under the right foot as had this handy fitting on my mk2 Octavia can be a problem as what to do with right when cc is on.

will buy again as a good car for the cost and love it.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome Barnaby.

First let me say thanks, I read WhatCar reviews, particularly the 'our cars' section avidly before making my choice. So, "Thanks!"

I think you have already observed my point of view, I love the value and space, the quality of the finish is excellent and my only real gripe is the ride comfort, but it's a minor gripe not a major one. Certainly it feels like a significant step up from my mk2 Ford Focus which I owned for almost 6 years and close to 80k miles (and liked very much by the way), yet in inflation adjusted terms it cost about the same to buy. The one area the Focus beats it is round a corner, but that wasn't the priority this time around.

I have another observation for you however, and that is about your website! It seems to me to be biased towards small diesel engines in picking out the recommended model from a range. The Octavia review states that it's hard to look past the 1.6 diesel due to the low purchase price and running costs, but I would argue that it's hard to justify the 1.6TDi over the 1.4TSi or 2.0TDi. I used your TrueMPG tool, as well as looking at Which? magazines mpg test results and HonestJohn's user uploaded figures, and the difference in running costs is not that great unless you do huge mileage (why do you still quote/refer to the manufacturer mpg figures?). Over another 6 years/80k miles I reckon there may only be a few hundred quid in it between the 1.4TSi and 2.0TDi and, whilst the 1.6TDi might knock another grand or so off the total, over this many years/miles that's a small price to pay for the extra refinement of the petrol engine or extra poke of the 2.0 diesel.

My Focus was a 1.6TDCi, chosen entirely on a "total cost of ownership" basis, but in the end I think it was no cheaper than the 2.0TDCi would have been, due to it's relatively poor economy at 80mph where it desperately needed another gear. Just like the Focus, the Octavia 1.6 only has a 5-speed box and this, combined with the reduction in performance, made it a none starter for me.

I fully expect a robust and coherent defence from the 1.6TDi owners, and I'm aware that my opinion is just that. Mine. :happy:

I also think that the "mode" button is useful for reducing the steering assistance, and maybe the eco air-con mode might save fuel, but with a manual box changing the engine mode seems pointless.

Overall, as I say, it's a great car and I'm looking forward to my drive home!

I love how much space there is for people and luggage,

Sorry but :D :D  Yes they made space for people! :D

Is this for real?  Why's the Op's post count zero?

Thanks Tom and welcome Barnaby.

Value for money in a class leading size was what sealed the deal for me and it'd be Fn rude to ignor 0% finance.

Ehat spec did you get ? I'm in an Elegance.

Thank you.

Yep, the Octavia has certainly got size of its side! It's good value, too.

Mine is an SE. Must admit, I wish I'd gone for an Elegance for its extra equipment.

Welcome young man.

I drive a mk3 Octavia Elegance estate diesel dsg.

Comfort in the back, looked in the rear mirror and my wife and son sound a sleep so that box ticked.

I miss the foot rest under the right foot as had this handy fitting on my mk2 Octavia can be a problem as what to do with right when cc is on.

will buy again as a good car for the cost and love it.

Hello

I'm glad you're enjoying your Octavia so much – your wife and son are enjoying it, too, by the sound of it!

Yes, not many cars have a footrest for your right foot, but it can be pretty useful on long journeys.

It certainly is a good car for the money! An equivalent VW Golf Estate is thousands of pounds more expensive...

Sorry but :D :D Yes they made space for people! :D

Is this for real? Why's the Op's post count zero?

I am equally suspicious. The writing is awfully clumsy for a "car journalist"...

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone

Shameless plug time, but here are a couple of articles on whatcar.com about taking my Octavia on holiday to Belgium: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/june/1298569

There was plenty of space in the car and it was very economical, but it wasn't all good news.

Have you had a similar experience with your Octavia?

What do you and your passengers think of the car?

Please let me know – it'll be great to hear how you're getting on with your car.

Thanks

Barnaby

Welcome!

As someone who has frequented predominately the MkII and MkIII Octavia forums in the last few years, the good news for us owners (bad news for any budding journos looking for a negative scoop) is that by and large Skoda cars are pretty decent and reliable and there is nothing in the forums from the enthusiasts that demonstrate a fundamental and material fault with any particular model due to engineering or manufacturing issues.  As far as I can tell, most cars seem to be fit for purpose.

I think you did mention in a different reply that the equivalent VW would cost significantly more.  Prior to buying my current Blackline I had only driven VWs.  But I compared the Octavia VRS estate price against the equivalent Golf estate and the VW was at least £5k more.  It was a no brainer really and I would say the Skoda quality is there or there abouts against the VW.

We are a happy and positive bunch here.   :happy:

Hello and welcome Barnaby.

First let me say thanks, I read WhatCar reviews, particularly the 'our cars' section avidly before making my choice. So, "Thanks!"

I think you have already observed my point of view, I love the value and space, the quality of the finish is excellent and my only real gripe is the ride comfort, but it's a minor gripe not a major one. Certainly it feels like a significant step up from my mk2 Ford Focus which I owned for almost 6 years and close to 80k miles (and liked very much by the way), yet in inflation adjusted terms it cost about the same to buy. The one area the Focus beats it is round a corner, but that wasn't the priority this time around.

I have another observation for you however, and that is about your website! It seems to me to be biased towards small diesel engines in picking out the recommended model from a range. The Octavia review states that it's hard to look past the 1.6 diesel due to the low purchase price and running costs, but I would argue that it's hard to justify the 1.6TDi over the 1.4TSi or 2.0TDi. I used your TrueMPG tool, as well as looking at Which? magazines mpg test results and HonestJohn's user uploaded figures, and the difference in running costs is not that great unless you do huge mileage (why do you still quote/refer to the manufacturer mpg figures?). Over another 6 years/80k miles I reckon there may only be a few hundred quid in it between the 1.4TSi and 2.0TDi and, whilst the 1.6TDi might knock another grand or so off the total, over this many years/miles that's a small price to pay for the extra refinement of the petrol engine or extra poke of the 2.0 diesel.

My Focus was a 1.6TDCi, chosen entirely on a "total cost of ownership" basis, but in the end I think it was no cheaper than the 2.0TDCi would have been, due to it's relatively poor economy at 80mph where it desperately needed another gear. Just like the Focus, the Octavia 1.6 only has a 5-speed box and this, combined with the reduction in performance, made it a none starter for me.

I fully expect a robust and coherent defence from the 1.6TDi owners, and I'm aware that my opinion is just that. Mine. :happy:

I also think that the "mode" button is useful for reducing the steering assistance, and maybe the eco air-con mode might save fuel, but with a manual box changing the engine mode seems pointless.

Overall, as I say, it's a great car and I'm looking forward to my drive home!

Hello and thanks for the welcome!

I'm glad you use What Car? so much, that's great to know.

Yes, like you, I love the Octavia's value, space and interior quality, but I wish the ride was more comfortable. It's not unbearable, it's just not as supple as I'd like it to be.

Must admit, I agree with you – I'd much rather have the 2.0-litre diesel version than the 1.6. It's faster, quieter and still very economical, plus it has a sixth gear, so is more relaxed on the motorway.

As for the What Car? verdict, our favourite hatchback is the 1.2-litre petrol (the 1.6 and 2.0-litre diesels get the same star rating), whereas we prefer the 1.6 diesel in the estate (again, it gets the same star rating as the 2.0-litre diesel). There's basically little difference between the diesels – they're both really good cars. The 1.6 is cheaper to buy and will cost you slightly less in fuel and tax (both as a private buy or as a company car), but the 2.0 is noticeably more powerful, so you don't have to rev it as hard. As I said, I'd happily pay the extra for the 2.0-litre, but the 1.6 is still a fine choice.

I hope your journey home was good!

Barnaby

Sorry but :D :D  Yes they made space for people! :D

Is this for real?  Why's the Op's post count zero?

True, but they made 'a lot' of space for people – more than any other rival, in fact. Which, I'm sure, is one of the main reasons why many people buy Octavias... :-)

Barnaby