I hate my car.

Hi,

Thanks; yes 9 Micra's; before retiring we used to change our car every 18 months but after retirement change at or just before 3 years to avoid messing around with an MOT. We hoped Micra #10 would be free but alas the dealers (Dixon's) went out of business and then Nissan didn't seem to bother about us. We visited the Nissan dealership in Halifax and was confronted by masses of yellow lines on the road and their car park was crammed full of 4WD's so we didn't get out of the car. Next we visited the Nissan dealership in Durkar (Wakefield) and as soon as we drove into the car park there was a 4WD pushing us through so enough of Nissan's if this was all we could now expect? On the way home we decided to try other dealers ending up at Pentagon Toyota in Barnsley and there we could park in peace and we were very well looked after; we accepted a test drive in an Aygo simply being handed the keys and upon our return immediately ordered a new Aygo; that was six years ago; we kept this Aygo three years and we also had a second Aygo which would have been three years old this August.

We liked both Aygo's finding them more comfortable and economical than the Micra's and both were supplied with an endearing water feature; every time the tailgate was opened whilst it was wet the water ran from the tailgate directly into the boot showering everything but then most cars have faults? Last year whilst transporting bags of aggregate home in the Aygo I hurt my back lifting the bags over the deep boot lip and this was the reason we decided not to have another Aygo. Around July last year our friends informed us they were ordering a new Skoda Fabia Hatchback Elegance which surprised us. We had never ever considered a Skoda because of the past history with all the jokes about Skoda ownership? Out of interest we visited DM Keith's in Huddersfield and although we said we were just browsing at that time because we were not going to change the Aygo until this August the salesman made us most welcome showing us the Citygo which is a similar size to the Aygo but still has a rather deep boot lip? The Fabia looked good and I was very impressed with both the Roomster and Yeti. The Yeti was my fist choice.

Knowing it can take up to three months from placing the order to collecting a new car we again visited DM Keith's on 1st May and having by now studied the various Skoda models knew we wanted a red and black Fabia Monte TSI 105 petrol hatchback which we ordered. We were quoted early July delivery and having paid the cash deposit returned home to await the Monte. On the 7th we received a phone call asking if we would care to accept delivery in ten days because a clone of the Monte had been located on a ship just docked in Grimsby; of course we would love to take this offer. We had arranged to trade the Aygo in on the 17th and all was sorted for this date. Unfortunately the Monte became held up at the dock but as the agreement had been made we took the Aygo in and DM Keith's then kindly loaned us a new Roomster Scout diesel demonstrator because the delay was not our fault. We expected the Monte to arrive within a couple of days but it actually ran to over three weeks during this time we happily ran the Roomster and became very attached to it.

This Tuesday we were sad to hand the Roomster back but equally we were delighted to see our brand new gleaming Monte waiting for us and it looked stunning in the rare sunshine. A weeks free insurance is supplied with the new Monte which I activated over the phone and whilst doing this accepted to be quoted for Skoda insurance; having 50 years no claims discount I qualified for the maximum no claims and initially was quoted £320 for comprehensive cover for the year. I rejected this quoting Churchill's online figure of £150 for similar cover? The price suddenly dropped to £277 which although still high I accepted knowing in the unfortunate event of an accident the Monte would be repaired by a genuine Skoda dealer using genuine Skoda parts. I paid by debit card and the policy arrived very quickly. The Monte was taxed using the seven day cover note but the tax disc was to follow in the post which it did a couple of days ago. 

We paid for three years GAP insurance which we had never previously heard of; three years free RAC cover came with the Monte and we also signed up for the three year servicing contract payable monthly by direct debit. We also paid for the paintwork/upholstery treatment and have been supplied a large quantity of Autoglym products to keep the car spic and span the other extra was a new spare wheel because I would never feel safe driving without a spare wheel only relying on a puncture outfit. All in all we are now set up for the next three years motoring. Skoda's are no longer the cheap car they used to be but we think we've got value for money and adore our Monte; I'm currently running it in for the next 1,000 miles as I do with all our new cars but the Monte is a beauty and even at low engine speeds keeps up with the flow of traffic with bags of power available.

So this is how we came to own our first Skoda and so far the Monte is perfect for us; it just squeezes into our garage between the machines whereas the Roomster or Yeti would have lived on the driveway; the Monte is much bigger than the Aygo and although the 17" trinity wheels skip over potholes the wrap around bucket seats are very comfortable and offer lots of support. It's obviously early days yet and we are still in the honeymoon period but so far we cannot fault Keith's DM Keith's (Huddersfield) or the Monte. We are happy Skoda owners.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I'm passing on a bit of time whilst waiting for it to dry up outside; I'm wanting to install new double glazing units but the light shower forecast lasted all morning?

Kind regards, Col.

We visited the Nissan dealership in Halifax and was confronted by masses of yellow lines on the road and their car park was crammed full of 4WD's so we didn't get out of the car. 

Could have avoided it all by parking in B&M across the road :P Agree'd though it is naff down there, used to do some work for them and mostly parked across the road with the riff raff.

Just pulling your leg/cashing in on the stereo types :P

Its a love/hate thing. I may like it again tomorrow.

It may actually be me that causes the problems.

I really hate my car...

I really hate the way the heated seats cosset me on cold days, I hate the way the thing holds the road like it's on rails, I hate the way it accelerates and the slick way the gearbox works.  :devil:

Oh sod it, I really don't want to drive it tomorrow, I just know I'm going to hate driving it to work where it will be ogled by loads of envious people. 

• Like 1

I broke the gearbox.

When you remap to 170bhp and rag it around the track all the time, these things happen. When pushing the envelope of performance way beyond what VAG designed the car for, you have to expect the odd failure.

Edited by booke23
  • Like 2

I have now had 5 VW Polos - the 5th one gets replaced this week by a Skoda Rapid - and all have been practically perfect in every way.   We always buy new on a PCP contract and look to change shortly before the MOT is due at 3 years old.   The only time we kept one and bought it outright, it needed a bit of TLC (4 new tyres, major service with cam belt change etc) at 5 years old which negated the savings we had made by hanging on to it!   My daughter has a SEAT Ibiza 1.4 TOCA and it has been put together beautifully, drives like a little rocket and is very pretty!

Sorry to say to the Original Poster, but I Love My Car and I am one of the "Loyal to VAG" camp because of our experience.   Vauxhall and Ford give such huge discounts to the major fleet customers (a whopping 45% to Nat West Bank allegedly!) that the retail customer is royally done over when it comes to the initial purchase price and residual values.

When you remap to 170bhp and rag it around the track all the time, these things happen. When pushing the envelope of performance way beyond what VAG designed the car for, you have to expect the odd failure.

Yeah but you know....

• 4 weeks later...

Well when I started this thread I broke the gearbox. Since having that sorted out I have destroyed the brakes...

There is something common to both issues which isn't to do with the make of car!

Problem In Chair Not In Car (PICNIC), okay stolen from a computer help centre term but works I think,

• Like 2

And I see from a recent thread on the Fabia I forum that you are looking to get the car up to 200 bhp.............so expect the failures to keep coming. On the plus side, I bet it's a hoot to drive!  

• Like 1

I think you really need to speak to Des about excessive / highly tuning Skodas, and the pitfalls as he has been there , done that, made & worn the T -shirt, shot it & eaten the stew, & lived to tell the tale.

He gives some really simple advice about this sort of activity :-

DON'T DO IT 

Not to state the obvious, But the Fabia is half the price of an octavia when new, so clearly there will be a difference in quality?

But having said that, I love mine, and im only 36!!! :D