DSG oil change

Skoda say it never needs changing but the general opinion seems to be to change it around the 80-90k miles range.

It's much cheaper oil I believe.

Phil

I love the sound of all what you are saying. Just saved me a couple of hundred quid so if either of you are ever  down this way (s. wales} let me know and there's a pint waiting for you,

• Like 1

Just spoke to my local dealer re oil and filter change on my DSG, fixed price item £179 all in, it takes just under the hour they told me.

Got it booked in

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

• Like 1

The garage I booked the car into have just contacted to to say that on my car the oil does not need changing, it's sealed for life.

I've just phoned Skoda who have confirmed that it does not need doing

£££££££& [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Regards all

Juan

The garage I booked the car into have just contacted to to say that on my car the oil does not need changing, it's sealed for life.

£££££££& [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Regards all

Juan

Isn't yours a 6 speed DSG?

Regards all

Juan

But have you had the recall/service campaign for an oil change and DSG software update?

Phil

No, nothing at all. Skoda have my details. Car is October 2011........I think by then they were using a different gearbox oil

If it goes tits up I've got the fact that a main dealer and Skoda themselves say that on my chassis number nothing needs doing

At 39700 miles the box is as smooth as ever

Regards all

Juan

Edited by Its me

Note, while the DSG oil change takes an hour or under a dealer will need your car at least half a day if the car is driven to the dealership as the oil /dsg box will be too hot even after refill to drain the correct level at 35C

• 3 years later...

I have a Skoda Laura(Octavia MK II) 2008 1.9 PD 6 Speed DSG. I read all the discussion, but did not hear anything about oil brand & grade.

Can somebody please let me know the Grade & preferred manufacturer?

I'm located in India(Bangalore). TIA.

Fuchs Pentosin FFL-2 is also an option.

As far as I can see it is SAE75W oil with special additives.

The VW specs are VW TL 52 182 (G 052 182).

There is very little difference in prices here between genuine and aftermarket.  This is in answer to 6sp wet clutch dsg. Have not looked into requirements for 7Sp dry clutch DSG.

Edited by TheClient

You can DIY it, there are lots of guides. I have done so on two cars.  But, TBH it is a bit of a faff and the cost of the oil and filter is over £100. So for the total job £160-£180 at a indpendent or skoda dealer, not a huge saving and you need to improvise the filling procedure if you don't have the VAG adaptor and filling line.... And you'll need a large hex for the sump plug at the very least for extra tooling. 

Edited by TheClient

I'll just get the dealership to do it, easier for me.

Had my spark plugs changed yesterday, gapped to 0.08mm but they came pre gapped at that anyway and the mechanic checked the gap on the old ones and it seems the correct gap. Also had my coil packs changed. Then I put £20 worth of Shell V-Nitro unleaded in.

Now I have started feeling a little pull between gears on the DSG, I watch the gear change on the maxidot and each time there is a gear change there feels like a slight pull, not as obvious on the higher gears.

Something else for me to be concerned about! Anyone reckon this could be down to having a mixture of two fuel brands / change of spark plugs or coil packs or likely just the DSG oil needing changing as it is due, I have read about the mechatronic unit and as I already am currently under financial pressure to have the turbo sorted I am very nervous.

I think your worrying a bit too much. This might have not been the right car for you!  It won't be due to spark plug gap the factory spec is either 0.7mm or 0.8mm depending on manufacturer. It won't be to do with mixed fuel and it is unlikely to be coil packs unless you are getting missing or hesitation or surging. 

Almost all plugs are pregapped. It is good procedure to check though.

I'm not sure I understand the description of pulling a little between gears anyway....  

Also, you have the RAC warranty (for what it is worth) and some recourse with the dealer in the short term at least 6 months (if he isn't a fly by nighter).  Try to relax a bit. Forums can be useful but can feed the worrying!

Just now, TheClient said:

I think your worrying a bit too much. This might have not been the right car for you!  It won't be due to spark plug gap the factory spec is either 0.7mm or 0.8mm depending on manufacturer. It won't be to do with mixed fuel and it is unlikely to be coil packs unless you are getting missing or hesitation or surging. 

Almost all plugs are pregapped. It is good procedure to check though.

I'm not sure I understand the description of pulling a little between gears anyway....  

Also, you have the RAC warranty (for what it is worth) and some recourse with the dealer in the short term at least 6 months (if he isn't a fly by nighter).  Try to relax a bit. Forums can be useful but can feed the worrying!

You are right, I am worrying too much. I have had a bad run of luck the last 18 months and it has caused me to stress, overthink and worry about every little thing.

I appreciate your advice, it's from a good place. Relaxing and not stressing is easier said than done for me. 

The pulling, so when the DSG moves between 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd for example there is a slight pull / power shift, its not a smooth transmission like it was before yesterday.

The DSG should very briefly cut the ignition momentarily whilst changing gears. If you are progressing along with quite a lot of throttle, in those earlier gears, or under load like a big incline, you may notice it more.  I can't say I really do though.

If the fuel you recently filled up with or old fuel (at bottom of tank if you ran it down) was slightly contaminated it could cause some driveability issues, missing etc.

Suggest you carry on and monitor when you have filled up with a new tank of fuel. And then, with new fuel, see if you notice more under harder throttle, it may be just you hadn't noticed before.

It is hard to know if what you are describing is just a normal characteristic or something else at this stage. Obviously if it worsens come back here or take it to be seen. In mean times, move it from your worry pile to "monitor" once fuel changed! 

Edited by TheClient

Do not mess with too many things at one time.

The Super Unleaded is no problem, even if filled when 95 ron was still in.

If the correct plugs are correctly fitted with the correct gap they will be fine.

If the coils are correct then they will be fine.

The DSG will be fine unless the Oil change is well past the 40,000 mile service interval.

?

What is the turbo issue?,

because if a problem there maybe do not expect the car to be accelerating as it should.

Are those working on the car competent?

Thank you to you both, honestly it's been so stressful. Basically we had a motability car for the last 7 years and we have only ever known motability cars. Long story but my sons award was cut, it's under appeal and will take about another 7 months tp get any sort of answer either way. In the meantime our motability car had to go back and there is no way we could cope with no car, hence a 2nd hand car.

All the research I did for a family sized car that is sporty and has good BHP bought me to a Octavia VRS, I love the car. I am most happy with it (apart from fuel consumption haha) but these noises and odd things I am not used to scare me as we had to get a loan to get this car and then subsequent fixes that may need doing, small fixes I don't mind but ones that are £300+ and some well over £1k are scaring the hell out of me. If these fixes happen over the time we own the car it's not so bad as we can probably get some savings underway but it's all too close to us buying the car and trying to recover from that you see. Many things are coming at us at once financially, my sons DLA award and mobility element being reduced has had a huge knock on effect on multiple scenarios. Hence my anxiety and constant worry.

I will get the DSG oil changed on Tuesday, I know they hook it to a computer etc to do it so hopefully this will sort it, if there is even anything to worry about, although it does seem to be less smooth all of a sudden. The car last had it done in 2013 and at 61k miles, it is now on 100k so is due. Just find it odd that it starts feeling less smooth now rather than a gradual decline. Again could just be me over thinking everything. The mechanics I am using are my uncles and they have owned their own garage since 1983, very trustworthy and honest guys who are well respected in my city.

The turbo issue is here in my own thread I started...

I apologise for taking over this old thread. I really do appreciate the time and effort going into replying to me too, thank you.

Edited by HarleQuinn

I feel for you.

I know individuals that have had PIP assessments and had cars they only just got taken away and then been without for 6 or 7 months while appealing, 

only to then win their case and have to go through getting another car ordered.

Personally i would leave the DSG and get the turbo issue resolved, 

but as long as you are paying no more than £180 for the DSG and the person doing it is competent then that should not cause any problems.

All the best.

PS

Just out of interest as i am expecting at some point to lose DLA / PIP & to be handing my car back quick to get the £250 for doing that, 

i do not think i will get the £2,000 or £1,000 or the option to keep for 26 weeks.

So did you get £2,000 as a payment as your son lost the eligibility to DLA / PIP higher rate so the car from Motability, 

and has this to be repaid after your son gets the PIP awarded?

PIP transitional support package _ Motability Scheme.mhtml

mo_132454.pdf

Edited by AwaoffSki

@AwaoffSki Thanks for the reply. Turbo is priority and getting the DSG oil changed at Skoda dealers for £179.

My son does not get PIP, he gets DLA because he is only 11 years old. PIP I think is for 18 years old and over. I enquired about keeping the car for 26 weeks or getting a £2000 payment to help us find a car but it is only for people on PIP, even though DLA is the exact same thing we were not entitled to it. That wa sa bit of a kick in the teeth!

We didn't even get informed our sons award had changed, we got a letter from motability saying we had 2 weeks to return the car, we got them to extend it to 3 weeks but they gave us barely any time to find and fund a car in 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

OK, 16 year olds to 64.

Maybe of interest, 16 year old disabled youngsters can get a Provisional Driving licence to learn to drive a car,

they do not need to wait until 17.

They had to qualify for DLA, i take it now PIP.

This is a lot to do with Theresa May MP claiming more are benefiting and getting cars through Motability because more 16 & 17 year olds are, 

thousands taken away from families and individuals though.

That 'no Transitional Help' will be yet another error that MP's and the Prime Minster will not know about.

I never thought that the money 'the Government' not Motability are paying out is just those going DLA to PIP and not getting it.

I hope you got the £250 for returning the car in 21 days, because that is a Motability Finance thing,

or payment for 'Good Condition if it was in good condition'.

At least the back money will get paid to you, but i know that is not making up for what extra you need to spend out,.

I have known the system since 1977 and all the cons and con artists involved.

Lord Sterling and cronies and now the major banks that were given charge of the Billions that Motability the Charity have.

The system really is still filling the pockets of various people other than the disabled.

Lord Sterling's statement on transitional support package _ Motability Scheme.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki