Sell or break?

I have a dilemma guys and gals. I currently have my mk1 vRS up for sale but am now wondering whether there is any benefit in breaking it and selling the parts for potentially more than I have the car advertised for. 

Surely there are people that make a living out of this and my issue is that I want a specific amount for my car so breaking it seems to make sense unless someone comes along with a wad of cash.

I have the space. I have the patience, I have the tools. I also have a Mk1 Golf convertible that is crying out for a 20vT conversion.

Looking at the cost of what I would need to buy everything for the conversion it's in the region of £1000. 

So..... do I keep the engine etc to use in the conversion and write of £1000 from what I want (and if so will I get a grand in parts?), do I break it and sell everything, or do I hold out and sell it whole?

Another way of looking at it is the fact that by breaking it you are helping others mod their cars at low cost and in some cases helping them keep their cars on the road without paying extortionate dealer prices for parts

• Like 2

It's probably just me,but I've never seen the point in breaking a perfectly good car.But saying that their are people on here who break a car at the drop of a hat.

I suppose if there is better money in it, and one has the room then breaking a car makes sense, but yeah I totally agree, it seems a waste to break a perfectly good car.

If the car is completely standard and you want the engine and gear box you wont make much money if you have lots of performance parts like exhaust and sports cat and coilovers you might make your money   , to do the conversion you are talking about you would need a throttle cable version of the 1.8t like in the mk4 golf not drive by wire like in the vrs so I would try and sell the whole car they seem to be making good money around £2000 depending on condition and get a cheap mk4 golf gti with no mot and strip for the conversion . 

The fact of the matter is, providing you have the time and patience to break a vehicle, and list / sell / deal with idiots on ebay, then generally a vehicle is worth a whole bunch more in bits.

To give you an example. A mate of mine has a Radical XTR2 kit / race car thing. It runs an engine from a Suzuki Hayabusa motorbike. 

His engine went pop, and he asked for my help to fix it. I looked around the net, and the cost of a replacement engine runs at around 2 grand. But complete bikes can be had for the same money...go figure.

So he bought a complete bike for 2 grand, and I transplanted the engine from it into his car. I then managed to sell the rest of the bike, in bits, on ebay for nearly another 2 grand.

The result being that he had basically a free engine (although I did bill him for my work, obviously :D )

But yeah - it's a more lucrative business to break and sell it seems.

I've been having the same thought about mine but there is nothing actually wrong with it so it seems stupid to break it,

The problem is is that mk1's are worth peanuts at the moment so its the better financial option

Ive done 2 now and tbh it takes too long to sell them inbits.

Rtn it to std sell mods then the car. Fastest and easiest way imo.

Too many time wasters and people wanting things for nothing.

Iirc you have/had a great car?

Interesting mix of opinions. It is sad to break a perfectly good car but seems the most lucrative way of getting what I want.

There's enough there in modified parts to get a decent return; coilovers, BBS, exhaust, decat, bumper, interior, ICE etc.

Cheers for your comments guys

Interesting mix of opinions. It is sad to break a perfectly good car but seems the most lucrative way of getting what I want.

There's enough there in modified parts to get a decent return; coilovers, BBS, exhaust, decat, bumper, interior, ICE etc.

Cheers for your comments guys

You could look around for std parts or do deals with std parts and sell it and still get a decent amount for it.

There are still people wanting std cars.