New alloys or refurb? Got any pictures?

Glad we're helping your thought process...I quite fancied some of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-BLACK-LM-ALLOY-WHEELS-FITS-VW-VOLKSWAGEN-CADDY-EOS-GOLF-MK5-MK6-JETTA-T4-/300820915439?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Model%3ASuperb&hash=item460a52e4ef#ht_3607wt_1170  They're the right stud pattern but when I asked they needed a set of spacers to fit - not sure if that was just to fit my V6 or whether it was for any superb - but don't forget to ask about the need (or not) about spacers

...oh look, they're in the "£400 price range"....what a coincidence...

The wheel linked is 1/2" wider than standard wheels and the offset is 4mm less at ET42, so the wheel inside rim is going to about 10mm further in, and the outside rim about 2mm further out. Now assuming you fit the same 225 tyre, the width of the tyre hasn't changed, so your tyre edges are going to be about 4mm further in than before. I suspect you'll have no issues with this, as there is plenty of clearance in the superb arches on full lock and max compression.

Adding 10mm spacers will push your tyre about 6mm further out, this should be ok too and will not be enougher to take you tyre outside the wheel arches. Personally I'm not a fan of spacers, so I wouldn't fit them unless I had to.

cheers, Steve

These Ned, get these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301067908807

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good call!  As it happens they're on my watch list.  My hubs and calipers are a looking a bit tired, though, so I thought perhaps something with more metal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300821375255?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hmmm...They look.......like they'd show any scratch and would be expensive to refurb.....if you got those you'd be parking so far away from the curb to avoid scratching them that you'd need to call a cab to take you to the pavement.....

You might be right!  I'm looking at some rim protectors, though - anyone ever used them?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321438254754?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

No idea on ZCW, Wolfrace have been around for years though. I remember using them for rallying on a 1275GT as a teenager in the late 80's, as the minilites used to eventually buckle from getting airborne. :) so I assume from being around for ~30 years they must be doing something right ;)

I wouldn't worry about buying polished alloys like the ones in your link. If you coat them with a readily available sealant, and then top up every 4-6 months, you won't have any issues with brake dust/winter salt corrosion. Personally, a polished alloy looks just as bad as a painted alloy when damaged, so I don't get the logic behind staying away from them. The two Themisto alloys on mine that don't have pothole and keeping damage look as good as new. The damaged ones also show no sign of the damage causing widespread delamination of the top coat.

cheers, Steve

Thanks for your input, Steve; some good advice there.

Thanks for your input, Steve; some good advice there.

No problem, if you don't have a sealant, drop me a PM and I'll post some old Gtechniq C2 I have that will be fine to seal the wheels and is easy to apply.

cheers, Steve

• Like 1

No problem, if you don't have a sealant, drop me a PM and I'll post some old Gtechniq C2 I have that will be fine to seal the wheels and is easy to apply.

cheers, Steve

That's a very kind offer, Steve!  Would this be even better, though: http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/gtechniq/c5-alloy-wheel-armour.aspx

That's a very kind offer, Steve!  Would this be even better, though: http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/gtechniq/c5-alloy-wheel-armour.aspx

C5 cures to a harder finish so yes it would be more resistant and last longer. The downside is it costs more as an upfront purchase. A lot of people now are using this type of coating as the base layer and then coat another more water repellent sealant or wax on top. It makes the base coat last longer and the odd heavy shower or quick rinse with a pressure washer will result in the car looking cleaner.

The downside to coatings like C5 is you need good preparation on the wheel/paint, like panel wipe/diluted IPA and then a clean and dry area to coat them. You need to keep them dry for 3-12 hours to let them cure too.

I've used Gtechniq and like their products, so I would happily recommend them, but there are tons of companies producing these coatings now, so you have plenty of choice.

Good call! As it happens they're on my watch list. My hubs and calipers are a looking a bit tired, though, so I thought perhaps something with more metal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300821375255?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Check Leon's pics, I'm pretty sure he has the same/similar as the ones I posted.

Are you serious?  Given that peanut18 sold his (with rubber, admittedly) for £450, I think £200's a tad on the low side.  If I swapped the unused spare for one of the peeling ones, you'd have 1 brand new, 2 very good and one with a bit of lacquer peel.  You might want to see photos of course, but one possible deal is that I drive them up to Sheffield for you for £275 all in...

Ha- scrub that! I forgot the spare was a space-saver!  So you'd have 2 with a bit of lacquer peel.  £275 inc. delivery is still an absolute steal, though...

Let me know before I put them in the classifieds.

Cheers,

Ned.

Ill drive down and meet you halfway, buy you lunch and give you £200

Gonna cost me £180 -200 to get them refurbed, which puts me in the same predicament as yourself, in buying brand new alloys instead 

I just happen to think the Themistos are a nice looking wheel (unlike you)

Check Leon's pics, I'm pretty sure he has the same/similar as the ones I posted.

You're right! I even left this comment: "Beautiful car.  The wheels are amongst the best I've ever seen."

I might have found the answer...

Ill drive down and meet you halfway, buy you lunch and give you £200

Gonna cost me £180 -200 to get them refurbed, which puts me in the same predicament as yourself, in buying brand new alloys instead 

Tell you what: skip the lunch as I'm invariably pressed for time; what about a meet in Derby for £225?  The extra £25 saves you lunch and buys my petrol?

Damn, I had a McDonalds kids meal in mind as well... 

I'll let you know mate, as Ive just spent a chunk on goods from Superskoda.

Be in touch soon

Damn, I had a McDonalds kids meal in mind as well... 

I'll let you know mate, as Ive just spent a chunk on goods from Superskoda.

Be in touch soon

OK; for a no-hassle sale to someone who's obviously going to be trustworthy, what about £210?

Hi, Steve,

None of the 4 are absolutely unblemished, but there's only two where it's a problem (the other two look great).  Take a look at the photos  - don't worry, I haven't got 7 wheels; some are close ups.

In fairness to Damo, I'll give him a short while to respond, but if he withdraws then they're yours, so long as we can agree on delivery/collection: Damo and I were going to do a deal whereby I met him in Derby, exactly halfway between his manor and mine.  Halfway to you is somewhere near Rugby - would you be prepared to do the same?  

Cheers,

Ned.

RightRear_zps5e1eb968.jpg

RightRearClose-up_zps0f0ae2c0.jpg

RightFront_zpsb893e437.jpg

RightFrontClose-up_zps0a61ed3d.jpg

FrontRear_zps649c67c8.jpg

FrontRearClose-up_zps37ffee56.jpg

LeftRear_zpsed52f7e3.jpg

I think that's a great price for someone, Themistos always sell well on eBay, seemingly regardless of condition! Ned, have you decided on what you want next - is the car going up on bricks whilst you decide :-)

Thanks Ned for the pictures, and explanation. I have one pothole damaged and one kerb marked one on mine, so I was thinking of changing them out if you had two good ones, so doesn't work for me unfortunately, but as mentioned before they are a good price, hence I was happy to take all four to get two.

Looks like I'll need to pick up a new one before I sell it.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks Ned for the pictures, and explanation. I have one pothole damaged and one kerb marked one on mine, so I was thinking of changing them out if you had two good ones, so doesn't work for me unfortunately, but as mentioned before they are a good price, hence I was happy to take all four to get two.

Looks like I'll need to pick up a new one before I sell it.

Thanks

Steve

OK, Steve; thanks for letting me know.  I'll leave it to settle for the weekend and then put them on Ebay.

Keep an eye on these on eBay - should give you and idea what to expect £'s. I got several offers through eBay messages and sold mine for a cash offer of £450. Had a couple of jokers offer £150, but you learn to expect that. Two of my tyres were worthless and two at 6mm, one alloy was milky and one had a slight scuff. Other two were perfect.

• Like 1

Ned's asked to pull out of the deal now, as he is after more money for them

Im fine with that, as they were only for my winter tyres anyway

My insurance quote doesn't change for aftermarket wheels so I think I am going to get a different style for a change of look

Good luck with the sale Ned, Im sure you'll get plenty more £'s

Regards

Damo