Bilstein B6 dampers fitted

Ive read also that my greenline model is lower for fuel economy. Is this true and if so could i need shocks/springs from a different model to improve comfort and height needed with a full load to avoid hitting ramps etc.

thanks for any info

• 9 months later...

Hi Dstev200, how are the b6 shocks? I have had my superb 2 l&k since April now up to 9k so it's run in, and the ride is not great it wallows around over undulations and is quite bumpy on poor roads. I have found a company in Germany who can supply the b6s for around £420. I don't want super stiffness but I really do want to improve the ride and handling.

Just wondering if you still think the change is worth while?

• 2 weeks later...

Tempted to replace mine ones. My superb is a 09 Elegance with 18inch themisto wheels and 170 4x4. My only concern is the 4x4, couldn't find the ones online to be compatible with. Anyone replaced to a similar? Or knows a versatile suplier? :) cheers!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I'm sure the 'hiss' is normal, and would be surprised if any replacement shocks don't hiss also.

The "hiss" isn't normal, it's your suspension wearing out I'm pretty sure..

I replaced my dampers with Bilstein B4's, the quality is 100x better, the car is so smooth and no noises when going over bumps or anything.

I can only hear my shocks hissing while the car window is open. It's a perfectly normal sound for a shock AFAIK - my bike suspension systems make similar noises whether oil or nitrogen damped, though the car sounds more like a nitrogen shock. Handling is fine nor did the NCT flag any issue with the damping performance, so I'll need some convincing that the hiss means something is wrong.

The only unusual handling feature on the Superb is that the front wheels leave the ground for a split second if I hit speedbumps too fast (Thanks to inconsistent road construction in Ireland, each speed bump is a slightly different shape and does this at slightly different speed, so too fast is very variable - it's most noticeable at ones that kick up very steeply), but the car has been doing that since I bought it 50 000 km ago and the Octavia I had before that also did it. Hitting the bump at an angle or with only one wheel (If there's the option) stops this thanks to the anti roll bar increasing the effective suspension stiffness for the wheel hitting the bump. It makes a worse bang under load where there's wind-up in the DMF to be released, but it doesn't go away completely if I coast into the bump with the clutch down.

• Like 1

I'm no suspension expert!

Most, if not all, of my cars over the years have made a hissing noise when rebounding over speed bumps when driven slightly too fast, even brand new cars. These guys (admittedly American BMW drivers ;op) agree. 

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1607288-Air-hiss-sound-coming-from-suspension-when-going-over-a-bump

Tein suspension note that "There is a by-pass that regulates the oil flow called the orifice. If too much oil flows through this by-pass, a ‘hissing’ sound can sometimes be heard."

If you have a hissing sound that happens all the time, then yes you may have a problem.

Hi Alextan,

If you use the Bilstein App you can get the right part number.

Mine is a 2015 170 4x4 Estate with standard suspension.

For the b6 shocks part numbers are

35-122074 front

24-172936 rear

I am looking at getting mine from http://nh-tuning.de/

Seem to be well priced

Thank you for the info, sir!

Used the app and now Im in doubt, seen a variety of kits compatible, indeed the B6 ones are the cheapest (548€ without shipping), but got me wondering if its worth it or should I consider to pay more for a higher version..hmm

Thank you for the info, sir!

Used the app and now Im in doubt, seen a variety of kits compatible, indeed the B6 ones are the cheapest (548€ without shipping), but got me wondering if its worth it or should I consider to pay more for a higher version..hmm

I just ordered my b6 set so I'll let you know how they go. It will probably be a week or two before I get them and book fitting.

The b4 are like for like, b6 is heavy duty so I guess will be a little firmer but should also handle the weight of the car better??

I think the other sets include springs and height adjustment but I'm happy with the ride height so b6 I think is right for me. It worked out about £410 delivered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the b6s fitted yesterday and I am very impressed with the improvement over the standard shocks. The car sits a little higher as the high pressure shocks hold the weight and don't sink as much as the standard which I think makes the car look better too.

I had the car loaded with 5 people and drove through Milton Keynes so lots of roundabouts and the car stays much more level through turns giving a much better driving experience. I have read the they need about 300 miles or so to bed in but really happy with the change already.

Through town the ride is similar to before but it's less crashy over pot holes and drain covers. Its definitely a little firmer but I recently put a set of Nokian Weatherproof tyres on which are a bit softer then the standard Continentals.

It's not been cheap but I do a lot of miles so really wanted to improve the drive and feel of the car. I am staggered by the difference over standard so if you are mulling over the same I say it's money well spent.

• Like 1

I had the b6s fitted yesterday and I am very impressed with the improvement over the standard shocks. The car sits a little higher as the high pressure shocks hold the weight and don't sink as much as the standard which I think makes the car look better too.

I had the car loaded with 5 people and drove through Milton Keynes so lots of roundabouts and the car stays much more level through turns giving a much better driving experience. I have read the they need about 300 miles or so to bed in but really happy with the change already.

Through town the ride is similar to before but it's less crashy over pot holes and drain covers. Its definitely a little firmer but I recently put a set of Nokian Weatherproof tyres on which are a bit softer then the standard Continentals.

It's not been cheap but I do a lot of miles so really wanted to improve the drive and feel of the car. I am staggered by the difference over standard so if you are mulling over the same I say it's money well spent.

Good to know. Fitted yesterday on mine also Nokians Weatherproof on 18inches, really happy with them. You said you've only changed the shock absorbers and kept the original springs, right?

Cheers

Edited by alextan
  • Like 1

Good to know. Fitted yesterday on mine also Nokians Weatherproof on 18inches, really happy with them. You said you've only changed the shock absorbers and kept the original springs, right?

Cheers

Yes I kept the original springs, just the b6 shocks, tyres are great too.

• Like 1

I've always hated the ride in my FL Superb. It was skittish over bumps and manhole covers and the car was prone to swaying left/right on uneven roads and during lane changes. Couldn't really find the smoking gun as there wasn't anything obviously wrong with the suspension - just a crap setup I think. 

Eventually I just had enough of it and had the standard Monroe shock absorbers ripped out in favour of a full set of Bilstein B6 shockers. 

I can confidently report that it has utterly changed the characteristics of the car. Lane changes are now a positive experience, the rear wheels no longer feel like they they are bouncing off the road through potholes and sunken manhole covers.

All of my passengers have commented on an improved ride as well, especially in the back. 

The ride is slightly firmer now but it is still miles short of SWMBO's MkIII vRS in terms of firmness. It also no longer wallows through those large undulations you get on the motorway. 

Cornering ability is massively improved and heavy loads in the boot are less noticeable. 

All in all I am really pleased with the Bilsteins, I fitted them to my last 3T5 Superb with good results too. 

Other than the ride issues i've had, I'm still loving the Superb immensely!

Did you get it fully aligned afterwards?

Check the rear left side for the sensor (on the suspention), maybe it needs to be put back in place. If thats in place and the one in the front aswell. Then you'll need a 'basic setting' or a manual adjustment via VCDS ;)

The sensors should measure where the suspension is sitting and adjust the lights accordingly, but it's very common for the sensors to pop off when the car is jacked up so they no longer move with the suspension. Check this first. It'll be a little box with lever sticking out of it connected to the lower arm of the suspension by a short link.

This shows a few pictures of what to look for:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=light+sensor+suspension+height&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHMO_en-GBIE572IE573&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCcQsARqFQoTCPDawd3glckCFcUADwodMdcNow&biw=1242&bih=834

Mine were fitted about 5000 miles ago. Much better drive, feels much safer over rapidly undulating roads. Noticable less nose dive under braking, and pitching back on acceleration. Replaced springs (std sachs), shock mounts up front, and spring seats at the rear. OEM shocks had been in for the whole period of my ownership from 102000 upto about 195000. They were knackered, but still didn't bounce when you do the push on a corner test. I'm now convinced this is a lowsy way of testing when it's time to change shockers.

• 2 weeks later...

Check the rear left side for the sensor (on the suspention), maybe it needs to be put back in place. If thats in place and the one in the front aswell. Then you'll need a 'basic setting' or a manual adjustment via VCDS ;)

Hi Alex what did you mean by a 'basic setting' I have not checked the sensors yet but will do that first.

Hi Alex what did you mean by a 'basic setting' I have not checked the sensors yet but will do that first.

Had my rear sensor's arm broken (see pic), ordered a new one from cars-equip, after I needed a 'basic setting' via VCDS, setting that recalibrates the headlights to the legal, normal position (if they're bi-xenons), my ones are like new now, perfect shape, height ;)05e3bd3410ff64c10e97021de4c66fec.jpg

The rear sensor stays on the suspention and comunicates to the front one to level the headlights according to the car's position on the road.

Edited by alextan

Had my rear sensor's arm broken (see pic), ordered a new one from cars-equip, after I needed a 'basic setting' via VCDS, setting that recalibrates the headlights to the legal, normal position (if they're bi-xenons), my ones are like new now, perfect shape, height ;)05e3bd3410ff64c10e97021de4c66fec.jpg

The rear sensor stays on the suspention and comunicates to the front one to level the headlights according to the car's position on the road.

Awesome thanks Alex, makes sense.

• Like 1