Digital MPH display - completed

Met up with  M0bov (another Briskoda member) over the weekend who had the VCDS computer and he helped me re set the cars computer so that it gave me a digital MPH display.

It was a bit of a struggle at first as we couldn't initially get the MPH readout to appear on screen, perhaps because I don't have the multifunction steering wheel and neither of us could work out if my car actually has maxidot... we both seem to think it might not, and in the end I figured it out by complete accident.

The way I did it, I twisted the button on the digital trip computer to the right a number of times until the small km/h read out on the bottom flashes and when it flashes push it in and the total mileage of the car should appear. Then, push the button on the side of the right lever (the one which controls the wipers) a number of times and bingo, MPH will eventually appear.

It's very handy as the normal speedo is the one of the octavia's downfalls in the way they measure 5mph increments and only put a clear marking on 20, 40, 60mph, etc is beyond me.

Thanks again to James (M0bov) for his help, top bloke and didn't seem the least bit angry about my arriving over an hour later then planned (damn traffic)

So to all you Skoda boffins, does my car have maxidot?

I'm driving a 2011 Skoda Octavia Elegance

I have just tried this on my 2011 Octavia which does NOT have maxi-dot.

I can confirm changing the region to Australia then allows you to have the current speed displayed in the middle of the screen!

I didn't even know this was possible without maxi-dot! Thanks andy2286! :D

post-114375-0-97994400-1404150148_thumb.jpg

I do not have Maxidot.

Is it possible to have actual kph displayed in the middle of the display instead of right down at the bottom?

On a recent trip to France it was difficult to read the small kph display (which replaces the total mileage) when it was sunny and whilst wearing sunglasses. 

Does it show you exactly which door is open when you open a door?

If yes you have Maxidot.

Not on the centre screen... So I obviously don't have maxidot.

I actually figured it out by pure accident by trying to change the time back on the centre screen while stuck in yet another traffic jam.

No news on the bolero firmware upgrade but unfortunately my Octavia has developed a rattle from the near side end of the front dash, took it off slightly today and put it on again and this seems to have done the trick... but only time will tell.

If not, Ill take it up to the dealers and get them to sort it out and at the same time look into a firmware upgrade but first I will see how it handles SD cards.

I read in another thread that if you format the card to FAT32 and change the cluster size to 64((or something like that) that this speed's up the process greatly aswell as adding folders so will get onto that.... I'm hesitant to take it back to the dealer's because they're a good 70 odd miles away.

Any one here know how to change the octavia from flexible servicing to yearly... I only do about 6000 or so miles a year so I do wonder how leaving it so long between services can be a good idea.

Now I'm looking into rear window tints and possibly at some point 18" alloys and maybe a remap, but I worry about the extra stress on the clutch, transmission and other parts... that as well as the drop in fuel economy as I'm quite an enthusiastic driver.

and err, I don't want to end up modding the car so much to the point where I'm paying an arm and a leg just to insure the bloody thing... but the temptation is great!

If you work out how to do this on a pre-FL maxidot I'll be really impressed! :D

Phil

Give me the car to try it on, and who knows... maybe I'll get lucky once again and discover the answer

I've found a possible issue with this modification, while changing the region to Australia allows a current MPH to be displayed digitally it messes up the MPG figures.

I have found a thread about this issue here with no clear resolution:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295203-is-it-me-australia-change/

It would seem there is no way to correct the units as this is normally done via maxidot which I do not have.

To give an example my car was displaying 36 MPG for the current journey on the dash, clearly something was wrong as my car is a 1.6 TDI. Changing the region back to United Kingdom causes this to instantly change to 44 MPG.

I've had a look through VCDS trying to find a way of changing the units back after moving to Australia but haven't managed to find an option for it. :(

If you find a fix, give us a shout... be nice to meet other members. I've got a friend in Nottingham/ Derby ways anyway so I could kill two birds with one stone.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after driving around for a couple of weeks, and actually thinking for once, there is no difference whatsoever in MPG.

I can't explain your differences that you were experiencing. Has it been resolved?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well after driving around for a couple of weeks, and actually thinking for once, there is no difference whatsoever in MPG.

I can't explain your differences that you were experiencing. Has it been resolved?

There is a difference as it instantly changes on the dash display when changed to Australia in front of your eyes.

There doesn't appear to be a fix for it either.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 01/07/2014 at 20:55, Cactusjack said:

Confirmed on my MY12 VRS TDI. The change in MPG is concerning, no fix found yet.

Hi :)

any chance you would know (or anyone else) if it's possible to change the odometer from miles to km? I do have genuine vcds and done quite a few tweaks with it, but when trying to change to Europe/ Germany i do get message accepted, but nothing changes. 

I do have FL octavia vrs tdi ,2012, without maxidot.

cheers guys

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, derek666 said:

Any fix for the wrong mpg display yet? 

FL 2011 octy non maxi dot, now showing digital Mph, but mpg is way Way wrong. 

Not sure what you mean?

Do you mean you'd like to correct the fuel consumption? If so, it's an adaptation channel: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Instrument_Cluster#Channe_003:_Consumption_Correction