Two motoring stories/accidents that have annoyed me

Sippo

Saw a drunk driver this lunch time, all over a 4 lane one way street, white-lining, swerving, last minute turns. You can tell he had no worries of being stopped, he drove straight past the local cop shop!!!!

did you ring 999?

Edited by mdon
  • Like 4

I got banned for racing with a mate. I lost control hit a curb sideways rolled it 3 or 4 times and landed in a ditch upside down. Luckily I didn't collide with another vehicle and I walked away with just a scratch on my head.

I say this from experience my first and only concern at the time was oh no my car, I loved the car and would never in a million years want to write it off. Then I got banned for two years, (don't worry I paid for it heavily) that at the time ruined my life. It's not till now nearly 5 years later that I fully understand the consequences of my actions, yes I could of killed someone. Before I lost control I got up to 130 mph.

The point is as most people already know, when your younger you have no fear, you have little understanding of the implications of your actions.

I personally think they should raise the age limit. Yes I know not all young drivers are foolish but at that age generally you are not mature enough to be control of something as dangerous as a motor vehicle.

• Like 1

So you'd be happy to drive for 8 hours, and then spend 2 hours on a ferry, in order to get to a single track A road where 60mph is not just legal but fairly routine?

In a word "YES"     How are you supposed to learn? I am not sure why you would need to drive 8 hours though? Even in Scotland you have the A9 and if you wanted a motorway I am sure you can get to Glasgow under 8 hours from anywhere, I did, cape wrath to Glasgow in well under 8 hours.

Without being extremely picky, I am sure you all get what I mean, any extra experience of any type of driving is beneficial to anyone, after all, you are taught to pass a test and then you learn to drive.

I know there's a lot of motorways in your bit of the world, but if you had to drive to, say, northallerton, to get to your nearest motorway, would you still have this opinion?

Personally, I think all new drivers should experience 100 miles of a17 or a47 to give them an idea of how dangerous driving can be.

Yes, a long journey is also good experience for a new driver, I am not worried about mileage, the daily commute is 60 miles.  So yes, I would go to northallerton even though there is no motorway there.

Volume of traffic doesn't help either. It causes people to get stressed out with more chances of road rage and other related behaviour. A slight lapse in concentration can result in a serious accident. But after all we all to drive cars so the problem will only get worse.

There is no one solution, it's a bit like why the England national team is so rubbish their are many reasons why and each point is as good as the other.

It's not just the young and inexperienced that are a problem, impartial compulsory testing of older drivers is needed. Just before my father died he was an 88yr old diabetic, blind in one eye, walked with sticks (when not being pushed in a chair) and had a whole medical dictionary of other ailments, could we get his Doctor to pull his licence, not a chance, it would remove his independence, and he doesn't drive far.

Mother came out with a cracking comment "Your father's a good driver, he just can't see the first 11 feet in front of the car, after that he's fine". Outstanding Ma!

Edited by P6bJOHN
  • Like 1

I think the 'what annoyed you' thread says it all at 80 odd pages. Driving standards are poor. I agree it's the older generation as well.

Edited by Sippo

I personally think they should raise the age limit. Yes I know not all young drivers are foolish but at that age generally you are not mature enough to be control of something as dangerous as a motor vehicle.

That is all very well if you live somewhere with public transport.  If you don't, how are you expected to get to work?  Get a motorcycle, with crash rates several orders greater than a car?  Or are those who live in rural areas not worthy of any sort of consideration?

Not all young people are bad drivers, there are more good ones than bad ones but it's the bad ones who generate the publicity.

By the way, motor vehicles are not in themselves dangerous.  Left to their own devices they just sit there and do no harm.  It's when we get into them and start driving them that the problems start.  Therefore the problem, as always, lies with us rather than the vehicle.

That is all very well if you live somewhere with public transport. If you don't, how are you expected to get to work? Get a motorcycle, with crash rates several orders greater than a car? Or are those who live in rural areas not worthy of any sort of consideration?

I guess it depends what is valued most, the safety of road user's or the ability to earn money and pay taxes. I wasn't trying to suggest that it's the most ideal scenario or the fairest, I'm just giving my opinion based on my own personal experiences and observations.

Not all young people are bad drivers, there are more good ones than bad ones but it's the bad ones who generate the publicity.

I did say not all young drivers are foolish or dangerous but I don't think you can argue the point that most young people below the age of 21 are generally not emotionally and mentally mature. Hence the meaning of the word adolescence.

By the way, motor vehicles are not in themselves dangerous. Left to their own devices they just sit there and do no harm. It's when we get into them and start driving them that the problems start. Therefore the problem, as always, lies with us rather than the vehicle.

I guess that is the same as, it's not the gun that kills people it's the conscienceness of the person holding the gun. The age old philosophical musings. Hope that clears up any confusion.

We all make mistakes that's just part of being Human, but what matters the most is that you learn from your mistakes.

Edit not sure how the last two sentences ended up at the bottom lol. Bloody iPad.

Edited by theezenutz

Driverless cars like in irobot is the only sure fire way or sorting out all the problems but that won't happen for years if ever. I can see how extra policing could help with certain groups of people but there are quite a lot of people who just don't care, no amount of fines and driving bans stop certain people. I see it as an almost impossible situation, the only thing you can hope for is a general attitude change.

did you ring 999?

No, they would probably have ignored him and done me for phoning them from my car!!!!

BTW, this was 12:45 in the afternoon, I followed him 1/2 way across town, but never saw a single rozzer to flag down and report him to.

For anyone who knows Worcester, I followed him from the Bull Ring in St Johns, down to the river, across bridge, along the river past the racecourse and up past the Police station.

I am sad to report he was driving a Fabia. (Anyone want the reg plate?? I have him on dash cam.)

Ooohh I bet that didn't go down well.......

Well, the other attendees thought I had a valid point, the instructors however  were more than a little angry and defensive. I was quite disappointed as I expected them to be concerned with all areas of road safety, which as far as I'm concerned should include teaching young children how to cross the road responsibly.

If you hit a kid at 40mph, he'll die...If he looks both ways before crossing the road he'll avoid the multiple broken bones he'd get if you hit him at 30mph.

• Like 2

In a word "YES"     How are you supposed to learn? I am not sure why you would need to drive 8 hours though? Even in Scotland you have the A9 and if you wanted a motorway I am sure you can get to Glasgow under 8 hours from anywhere, I did, cape wrath to Glasgow in well under 8 hours.

Without being extremely picky, I am sure you all get what I mean, any extra experience of any type of driving is beneficial to anyone, after all, you are taught to pass a test and then you learn to drive.

I wasn't aware that St Helens was in Scotland? :wall:

Or did the idea that I was pointing out what you, James, would have to do that is less than immediately convenient in order for you, James, to get similarly comprehensive experience of all road types pass you by?

If you hit a kid at 40mph, he'll die...If he looks both ways before crossing the road he'll avoid the multiple broken bones he'd get if you hit him at 30mph.

Very valid point. IMHO - BOTH messages need to be taught.

• Like 4

I wasn't aware that St Helens was in Scotland? :wall:

Or did the idea that I was pointing out what you, James, would have to do that is less than immediately convenient in order for you, James, to get similarly comprehensive experience of all road types pass you by?

St Helens isn't in Scotland, I never said it was..     Keep up your constructive posts  :clap:,    Ken.

• Like 1

Young Motorcyclists get the deep joy of riding a 125cc hell beast (under 19), at 19 become mysterious endowed with the wisdom of the roads and get given an A2 licence.... 47hp! Now they are motoring!

Perhaps car drivers could go through the same hoops...

Upping the age for driving applications isnt going to work - i learned the basics of driving at 12 in a field, where i couldnt hit anything it would be own fault if i managed it.

got my prov license at 17and 4 lessons to "learn" proper driving. then as an L plater WITH SOMEONE IN THE CAR gained my experience and honed the skills and coordination.

at 20, with 3yrs experience i got 2 more lessons from a local instructor who was a tough biotch, to break any bad habits i had gotten, passed the test first time,

and have always been told that i am a good, safe, driver aware of where i am whats going on around me.

my wife didnt learn to drive until she turned 21 - took 3 attempts to pass though with good reasons, unfamiliar car for 1st one after being in a crash the day before test in hers,

and the 2nd time the guy refused to take her out for no road tax - the disc was 48hrs out of date, new tax paid - had receipt, waiting on disc to be posted - didnt care, car not road worthy!!!!

All that aside though, it took her a lot longer to learn the coordination needed for driving - which actually demanding if you think about it  - because she was older starting out at it. Mika Hakkinen said the same thing in the TG bit with May. by 18/20 your ability to learn new skills quickly is already impaired, the muscle memory isn't there, so its going to be more challenging. Driving training should be on a closed road, starting at 15, with several tests to pass, Xno. training hrs over a period  of time, before being allowed get a provisional license to drive on the road, then pass the road tests - inc at night.

Mandatory retesting on license renewal is the only way, as it will at least reduce the numbers of stupid things being done - like the inability to use roundabouts....

And medicals - I had to get an eye test for my provisional at 17, didnt need glasses, i got my license renewed 3 weeks ago ticked the box to say i still dont need glasses 13 yrs later - thats fine, no evidence required to support that??

THere should also be different power & size classes of license for cars - same as bikes and lorries.

I see people who learn in micras, pass the test, then start driving BMWs and A6's, X5's, Range rovers.... no ability to control them at speed or in corners, or manouvre, even at low speed because they have no concept of what size the vehicle actually is, either driving like its still a micra, trying to get through gaps waaay too small, or like its an articulated lorry needing the whole road! and dont get me started on driver ability in poor conditions like rain, snow, NIGHT TIME!

So you start off in the tread saying to police are ignoring criminal motoring offences yet when you see a crime in progress and something that you believe is highly dangerous but you don't report them, instead you come on here talking about it. Beggars belief! I don't understand how people can complain about the police not catching every criminal offender out there but when the person see something themselves they can't be bothered to do anything about it. Hypocrite somehow doesn't do it justice.

By the time you get through the system, (and bear in mind I would have to pull over somewhere safe, switch the engine off, etc), he would be long gone and from previous experience, the rozzers would "make a note of it" and do nothing, just as they did when I reported a woman driving the wrong way down a one way street (past a busy Primary school at 8:50am), hitting a parked car, trying to drive down ANOTHER one way street the wrong way, before rapidly leaving the scene.

On that occasion I also had very clear pictures taken by my dash cam, they never even bothered to get back to me, even after the owner of the hit car took in photo print outs of the incident.

BTW, I agree with mac, my wife is 41 and cannot get a grip on driving a car because she had never been behind the wheel until she was 40, yet she is a whiz on a bike because she has been riding since 16.

(I took her out to practice on an abandoned airfields main runway and she STILL managed to wander off of the tarmac!!!)