2nd 'fun' car-Fabia VRS or Seat Ibiza TDI Sport/FR ?

I fancy a bit of a project. It will be used for the occasional B road blast and maybe even a trackday or two. As an aside I'm also starting to go a little 'over mileage' on the Monte Tech's PCP and therefore the project car needs to retain some practicality so it can be used say 1 or 2 days a week for my 55/60 mile commute.

Cost is also a factor ruling out the likes of Golf GTDs etc and after some thought I've decided upon one or the other of the above. I've previously had a very enjoyable couple of years with a MK1 VRS and I am no stranger to pretty well all of the VAG groups offerings(Lamborghini etc excepted)But I have never had a 1.9 TDI Ibiza.

Sport/FR Ibiza diesels are if anything cheaper than the equivalent Fabia and are available with 3 doors which would be my preference. I know from past Seats that the build and especially the interior is perhaps less good than the equivalent Skoda although if any one has any experience of the current Leon they seem to have caught up or surpassed Skoda although of course this will not benefit me with this project!

What are people's thoughts? In an unbiased manner as possible given that this is Briskoda and not Seatcupranet!

I am veering toward the Ibiza as I haven't had one before and the aforementioned 3 door configuration am I right in thinking that it may be a bit lighter and even a bit stiffer than the 5 door only VRS?

I recall being told once that the Fabia VRS was "more developed" than the Ibiza particularly in the area of suspension but have never read this or heard it again. Anyone offer any thoughts here?

Once I get the car I will ensure all is ok before slowly modifying it. My thoughts are initially a remap,rear ARB and 312 front brakes and then modify as funds permit. Am I in the right ballpark here?

Sorry for the length of this

ATB Dave

It really depends on what your doing with it, comparing a fabia and an Ibiza of same age the Ibiza will come with more kit such as multifunction steering wheel control for stereo and climate control. but if your gona just track it then you wont really need it all!

If you can afford to run the 1.8t FR/Cupra Ibiza I'd personally get that.

Looks cack but good little engine that maps to over 200bhp.

If you have free choice and want a 1.9tdi it's difficult.

I prefer the looks of the Fabia VRS, but the Ibiza version tends to be cheaper.

Polo gt of the same year? They are few and far between however.

I used to have an Ibiza sport tdi (130) and fettled with it - ended up being an fr/cupra.

Great car, quick (was mapped) and handled well as I spent a fair bit on mods. Styling wise the later fr's look better than the sports but sports are cheaper.

Get a Renaultsport Clio. Can pick them up cheepz. 

Handle better as stock than you'll ever manage with a diesel

shopping car even if you spend bundles on it. No turbo/dmf to break

and sounds better when being driven hard. 

I keep threatening to get one of these myself as a toy. 

Just haven't got a trailer or parking for it. 

• Like 2

Get a Renaultsport Clio. Can pick them up cheepz. 

Handle better as stock than you'll ever manage with a diesel

shopping car even if you spend bundles on it. No turbo/dmf to break

and sounds better when being driven hard. 

I keep threatening to get one of these myself as a toy. 

Just haven't got a trailer or parking for it.

Really dislike people who rave about their car they've recently purchased as it screams narrow mindedness but I've just gone from a pd130 seat ibiza to a clio 182 and the difference is unreal.

The ibiza had more power but corners were horrible. You're never going to get a decent handling turbo diesel car as fairly standard. The steering is just unique, feels so connected to the road.

Get 51mpg ish on a run too. They're surprisingly really low down torquey for a petrol.

Really dislike people who rave about their car they've recently purchased as it screams narrow mindedness but I've just gone from a pd130 seat ibiza to a clio 182 and the difference is unreal.

The ibiza had more power but corners were horrible. You're never going to get a decent handling turbo diesel car as fairly standard. The steering is just unique, feels so connected to the road.

Get 51mpg ish on a run too. They're surprisingly really low down torquey for a petrol.

TBH comparing anything with a Clio 172/182 they're always going to come off worst in the handling/connected stakes. Unless there's a sporty MINI in their past.

@OP, for B roads and track plus the odd commute, something more like the Clio seems a better bet. Less requirement to mod it too.

I had a '52 plate Ibiza Sport PD130 before my first Fabia VRS and would have one again (mainly due to the fact they are so much cheaper than their Skoda equivalents)

Given they are identical under the skin if you enjoyed your VRS ownership you've enjoy a Sport/FR.

I think the Ibizas are slightly firmer in the suspension stakes but being a track toy I assume you'll go uprated anyways.

That said they are both flawed as a trackday car.

Handling is poor due to the big heavy diesel engine under the bonnet.

you'll also need to throw plenty of cash at it to make it a proper track weapon (think remap/hybrid or new turbo/intercooler/coil overs/anti roll bars/312 brakes)

However I truly enjoyed the trackdays I did in my Fabia and that only had stock suspension (bar a Jabba RARB), a remap and 312 brakes.

If you want something that'll return 50+mpg on the way to the track, return decent enough enjoyment after you've added some modifications and will return ~15mpg on track an early Ibiza will do the trick.

If you want something with worse MPG but potentially more fun on track and maybe less expenditure on mods it may be best to look elsewhere

• Like 2

Some very good replies there thanks to all who took the time to consider this and post.

I don't want to overplay the trackday element. The car will get far more use as a A & B road plaything followed by the grind of the commute and tbh the torque of a diesel appeals here. I'm aware that it will not handle like a Clio 172/182. I've had plenty of hot hatches over the last 20 years.

As a cheap second car to blat around in and keep miles off the Monte you can't really go wrong.

The Ibizas are also soooo much cheaper than the Fabias it's stupid

Autotrader has a '02 plate in yellow with 112,000 miles on the clock for £800?!

VRS or an Ibiza FR wouldn't come on my radar for a cheap "fun" toy, they both burn the wrong fuel and even when fettled don't do a lot for me, but my personal preference is free reving petrols.

Old EP3 CTR, Pug 306 GTi 6, Clio 172 Cup, Mazda MX5 all relatively cheap to run and fun. 

If you were sold on a diesel though and it's just a second car get the Ibiza purely because they're cheaper.

• Like 1

Thanks Gambo. It must be an age thing. Once upon a time I'd have agreed and back in the late 80s I had a succession of faster golfs, MK1s&2s ending with a much modified 2.0 16v MK2.

I am now a diesel'convert' ,just can't get enough of the torque. In fact naturally aspirated petrols on the whole feel a little limp! My brother, whose business is more successful than mine, runs a F430 which I've driven a number of times and I have to say that at low revs even this feels lacking although get a few revs on the clock and not much will live with it!

Now I'm not suggesting that any diesel is anywhere even close to a supercar but nonetheless for me it's torque rather than high revving hp that gives me kicks. On another note said brother has recently bought a Clio 182 Cup so I wouldn't want to be seen copying!

To add to the above I've also had several MX5s and agree that pound for llb are excellent track/B road blatters,just not for me at this point in time.

Ibiza is supposed to have harder suspension than the fabia vRS so i've seen too.

The handling was the worst aspect of my car for sure, I drove lots of country lanes and was just scared to use the torque as there wasn't any feedback. For me, it was only usable on the motorway for overtaking.

Personally I think you're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking at a seat ibiza mk4 for a country lane blaster. It's like bringing your vegetarian girlfriend to an all you can eat meat buffet, she'll probably try to fit in to be easy going but deep down she's not where she wants to be at all.

I see where you are coming from on this

Me personally I'm hoping shortly to have a MGF 1.8 gifted to me (spotless, fairly low miles, and more ideally may be free). Oh and its the VVC so 160Hp just as standard !

Less ideal is the prospect it will probably need HG as they all did, but then once thats sorted, its a nigh perfect mid engined sorted piece of kit !

Apparently they map pretty well if you are so included, you can also turbo/supercharge them but I think thats silly given how little they are worth. I'd overlook that to be honest unless it could be done on the cheap as a pet project (for a santa pod monster).

People may look down on the cars (the same way they might for Skoda badge) and that is part of the appeal of getting one for me

I'd far rather have an MG that something like a Mazda to be honest, despite their less well perceived image - that can be a good thing if you want them cheap

Guest BigJase88

You say in the title you want a back road blaster / track car.

STOP looking a diesel's! You are wasting your time. Have a look at the likes of.

106 gti

306 gti6

Honda integra type r

Renaultsport clio

They are cars you can throw into a corner and have a bit of fun.

Or if you want rwd have a look for an old beemer 330i or something

I've a heavily modded vrs and my wife has a standard 57 plate Ibiza fr. I prefer the handling in her car and being a passenger in hers is better than mine. Also prefer the Ibiza interior. Climate as standard too! And 17" alloys as standard.

Will be easier to fit an fmic as it's just a bolt on with the seat sport fmic whereas lots of cutting needs doing to crash bar and bumper on the vrs, it was hell to fit an fmic to my vrs.

Also the Ibiza is lighter.