Octavia Estate 1.6 TDI MPG

Hi,

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed earlier. I am about to pick up the new Octavia Estate Black Edition 1.6 TDI manual.

My question is, what kind of MPG are you getting with you 1.6 TDI?

Thanks

Saurabh

It's been done to death....

You will now here how all the larger more powerful engines, including petrols, get fantastic mpg and wonder why you can't achieve anything like that with the supposed most economical engine in the range.

I can tell you with 5k miles on clock I get around 53mpg overall (fuelly figures) trip computer is reading about 3mpg high.

I do not drive with any regard to economy, other than not abusively thrashing it, and it never goes below 50 mpg. Commute is 30 miles out of one city centre, motorway, then into another city centre.

I think its a good engine, reasonable performance, and guaranteed economy without having to drive like a nun.

It's been done to death....

You will now here how all the larger more powerful engines, including petrols, get fantastic mpg and wonder why you can't achieve anything like that with the supposed most economical engine in the range.

I can tell you with 5k miles on clock I get around 53mpg overall (fuelly figures) trip computer is reading about 3mpg high.

I do not drive with any regard to economy, other than not abusively thrashing it, and it never goes below 50 mpg. Commute is 30 miles out of one city centre, motorway, then into another city centre.

I think its a good engine, reasonable performance, and guaranteed economy without having to drive like a nun.

That is really helpful. Thanks a lot..

I think this will mainly depend on how you drive & what kind of distance & journeys you regularly do.

Based on the current vRS TDI mpg thread people get hughely different values for not too dissimilar journeys (<40mpg to >55mpg).

However as classic says, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the economy you get from the 1.6 particularly on long steady motorway runs.

• Like 1

I have a manual 1.6 TDI Combi SE with around 5800k on the clock. My commute is 30 miles each way. If I take it easy on the back roads I get around 65mpg, if I use the motorway it's more like 55-60 MPG. This surprised me as I initially thought I would get better MPG on the motorway but not so.   

Edited by Dan25730
  • Like 1

Hmmm... it seems to be the general misunderstanding that newer engines are more effient and are somehow getting more power from less fuel or an as yet unrepoted quantium leap forward in the working of the internal combustion engine. 

Sorry thats not whats happening, the on-load (steady power applied to the wheels) fuel consumption hasn't improved that much in the O3, yes its lighter and thats helping a small bit, some of the tyres reduce resistance again, a small bit ut no, its the off-load fuel consumption thats where the real savings are.  Brake recovery creating battery charge thereby saving the alternator load on the engine, Eco Mode "Coasting" saving drive-train drag, stop-start just saving fuel and loads of other things it does but, it doesn't do these things on the motorway hence, most of the savings come from the back roads nowdays.

• Like 1

Mine is a company car so generally don't hang around, and definitely don't drive with regard to fuel consumption.  But as above I'm averaging 53mpg and that's with being stuck in an hours worth of traffic every day.  If i calm down and take it on a run it will do over 60 without even trying. 

There's quite a few things I don't like about the car, but I'm personally quite impressed with the economy and would be very happy with it were it my own car.  

Just referring back to a discussion with a friend regarding his MK2 Octy Scout which he picked up as an ex demonstrator with about 1500 miles on it.

He told me he never started to see the real high claimed potentials until the car had done some 50,000 miles.

Not quoting any statistics or making any other observations. Just saying.

I will add though. I have had my 1.6 TDi for a few weeks, but only managing about 500 miles so far with mixed motorway and urban about 50/50. The info centre is telling me about 50 mpg to date. Just about to embark on a 2 week trip to Denmark so will post some figures on return.

Edited by airscool
  • Like 1

I've got a 1.6 TDi and have so far done 33,500 miles, mostly motorway.

A regular drive is around 100 miles one way and I easily see 64mph at a regular 70mph.

Around town I can get 52mpg indicated.

Using a fuel app I can see the computer is reading around 2mpg too high.

I think it's key to ensure you follow the breaking in period listed in the manual. I followed this religiously and am happy with the effiency I get. Not sure if it makes that much difference but worth trying in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 weeks and 3.5k on the clock and getting average of 62 mpg (65-66 mpg indicated on the trip) - 60% motorway/dual-carriageway, 40% traffic/town.  That's better than my Superb Greenline II which was doing 60mpg at the same point and ended at 62.3mpg when I returned it after 2 years with 42k on the clock, so I'm hoping to get up to mid 60's - but I can't see getting anywhere near 74mpg (which is disappointing as the Superb was claimed 64.2 average and I achieved 62.3mpg, so pretty darn close)....  still, less than 10p mile which is nice.

• Like 1

I'm just under 5k miles in 3 months in a 1.6 DSG hatch.

Fuely below lists all the details and my long term real average is 57.6. Beware the fuely site sometimes displays in US gallons.

Computer reads over by 5mpg on average.

22k miles done in 1.6 TDI DSG -long term average 56mpg.

Fuel economy varied from 50-60 mpg but noticeably better in spring/summer, due to weather or diesel quality.