Skiers and snowboarders come forward...!

alex_e3

Personally I've always away from the Gorm as its far too busy, I can be at Glencoe in 1 hour and 45 and another half an hour to Nevis range. Had some cracking days up Glenshee but they're few and far apart as the conditions need to be perfect or else Glenshee is pants.

Heading to Tignes for the first time this year after doing the last 4 in Morzine/Avoriaz, Hopefully we get a bad winter here in the UK again mind you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday CGML posted on their website that they have effectively sacked all the ski school staff due to there being no funicular.....& thus no point in running ski school

So instead of at least trying to get people from the car park to the top bowl using cats etc, they have just given up entirely....

Also their earlier boast of loads of snowmaking etc at lower levels to help etc...was a lie.....

I bet that NAIL will want out of the 25yr contract & are forcing the issue by forcible not doing anything to get people to the working tows/snow in the top basin...

Anyway front page of todays P&J..& again on the Winterhighland forum...

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/10/2018 at 14:14, Offski said:

& last night and this morning the Snow Gates were closed on the A93 & A939 which was a PITA really.

Still British Summer time until the clocks go back about 2am tomorrow.

http://trafficscotland.org

Glencoe opened Saturday they’re with the snow making machines. Seen it in action last year and it takes a hell of a lot of work to make a small pile of snow!

There will be enough of the real stuff here shortly and it’s game on for me!

Edited by Mickmartin
  • Like 1

Yes but Glencoe is a different thing from the Lecht where to get runs and the tows the pisters only need to move snow a short distance, and then there are the snow cannons as well, laying down the snow helps have the base in the right condition and if the weather turns mild the manufactured snow can keep the run and tow tracks ready for more snow falling.

The Lecht bought outright their Snow Factory and made snow at 25*oC for Ski Training this summer 

so for beginners and kids they can give a start date and closing date for the season.  Wind Turbines for generating the energy and the H20 is there.

Wee piles of manufactured snow can be all that is needed to move as required & to keep things going. 

Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 11.32.05.png

Edited by Offski

26 minutes ago, Offski said:

Yes but Glencoe is a different thing from the Lecht where to get runs and the tows the pisters only need to move snow a short distance, and then there are the snow cannons as well, laying down the snow helps have the base in the right condition and if the weather turns mild the manufactured snow can keep the run and tow tracks ready for more snow falling.

The Lecht bought outright their Snow Factory and made snow at 25*oC for Ski Training this summer 

so for beginners and kids they can give a start date and closing date for the season.  Wind Turbines for generating the energy and the H20 is there.

Wee piles of manufactured snow can be all that is needed to move as required & to keep things going. 

Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 11.32.05.png

Glencoe is a nightmare for pushing snow, The main basin has to be one of the hardest resorts around to move snow due to its degree of its incline. They also haven’t ran the snow cannons in years as they need near perfect wind conditions and the Meal a Bhuiridh rarely offers them.

I’m all for the snow machines making small runs for kids and people learning however when they advertise it as “Skiable conditions all winter” that kind of fobs me off when certain ski area’s took in so much public funding.

Only in my opinion of course.

Edited by Mickmartin
  • Like 1

I have being going to Glencoe for decades so before the White Corries as is.  Going to Lecht, Glenshee and Cairgorms for decades as well so know the slopes quite well.

@ 55 seconds in 2nd vid see ticket prices...

Edited by Offski

• 2 weeks later...

So, considering my options for my next ‘boarding trip and wondered if any Brisky members could wade in with their 2p worth.....

Been going to the French Alps exclusively for the last umpteen years and after several (expensive) sun holidays it’s my turn to choose our first holiday after our wedding early next year (Thailand and then on to Maldives :emoticon-0157-sun: ) 

So, I fancy either Japan or The Rockies / Steamboat in the US. Any Brisky members been to either, of fancy sharing their experiences away from Europe??

13 hours ago, dg360 said:

I've not been myself but I have friends who have been to Japan in recent years and won't stop going on about how amazing the snow was.  

Yeah, some of the video clips I’ve seen the snow in Japan looks epic! Ridiculous amount of snow!

• 1 month later...

Very little snow even now..lower beginner slopes at Lecht are open..just...Glenshee...err nothing...Cairngorm...small manmade area...

& BTW at Cairngorm both the WWP & the Coire na Ciste lifts are closed by order of HSE due to safety..because of lack of upkeep by NR...

total cluster feck......

• 2 weeks later...

Latest re Cairngorm.... funicular will not be running this winter or this summer.....& that's from the horses mouth...HIE..

& the WWP & Ciste are still out so you can ski & use the bottom tows direct from the carpark & up the cas...just getting to the top bowl is via the M1 poma only...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@NJRJ

That was the week before last from the South on the A93 to Glenshee but opened during the morning, and also closed during the night on the A939 to the Lecht and a couple of times from the South. Drifting snow.

Lovely weather now though.

And often Scots resorts are open until after France closes! The Gun Barrel at Cairngorm is superb (see what I did there?) I've done it 'first run' and it's been amongst the best skiing I've ever done (I've done 10 seasons as a ski bum in the Alps) - but then my next run down being a poss piir - but for that one run...

Midsummer's day used to have a snow patch in the gorms that you could ski down - briefly...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 20:05, Wino said:

I'll find out whether I can still ski in a few days; can't wait. ☺️

Turns out I could, despite a dozen years passing since my last go. Left knee dodgy before I started but turned out not to interfere with skiing. Limped around like an 80yo in the evenings and now, but got accused of skiing like a 15 year old so I'll take that.  European resorts shut down as we were coming home so bloody lucky. Can recommend Tignes 1800 MMV Altaviva for next season, ski hire on premises, ski in/out, quiet on the apres-ski front though.

On 22/03/2020 at 07:31, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Coronavirus has brought an end to paid for up-lift at the 5 Scottish Ski Centres.

Just not ending the Winter Snow Sports Activities while there is still snow on them there hills. 

Waited all year for the late winter then this happens! Cant fault them though but its a massive hit.

Managed to get to Andorra for a week(the week before it closed)……..Absolute belting week.

C740CBAC-7EE7-42AF-900C-E4CDA61B88E1.jpeg

9414D2A9-0817-4F56-95E7-0FD9E3AB6DAB.jpeg

Edited by Mickmartin

2 friends went to Italy and got a day skiing before resort shut, the next week in France every guest arriving after 6pm on the saturday had to be told the resort had already shut!

• 9 months later...

The Lecht will be open from tomorrow, but only for those from Moray and Aberdeenshire due to Covid travel restrictions.

http://lecht.co.uk/

http://lecht.co.uk/webcams

Glenshee.

Only customers from Aberdeenshire and Perthshire.  So not from Angus.

http://ski-glenshee.co.uk

http://ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

Glencoe.

????  Covid travel restrictions must apply.

Open.

https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/winter EDIT.  Customers from the Highland Region only.

Cairngorm.

Closed.

http://cairngormmountain.co.uk

Nevis Range.

Closed.

http://nevisrange.co.uk/mountain-report

Edited by e-Roottoot