Is it worth getting Adaptive Cruise Control?

To answer the original question, I think the clue is contained within the original post: "There isn't as much traffic in Spain and most driving we'll do will be city/country lanes plus the odd long journey on motorways (mostly empty not like the UK)".

ACC doesn't appear to be needed, and certainly for the price I wouldn't bother.

I don't like the idea of KESSY and the self-parking thingy doesn't appeal much either. Having said all that, I've never actually tried any if these things! :think:

My current view on CC is that I want a fixed speed, and if there's a car in front I'll change lanes and pass it. If traffic density doesn't permit this style of driving then it's too busy to use CC and I knock it off and use my foot, but that's where I guess the ACC would allow me to keep it on that bit longer. Until I've tried it though I guess I don't know what I'm missing, so I'm happy...for now...

To answer the original question, I think the clue is contained within the original post: "There isn't as much traffic in Spain and most driving we'll do will be city/country lanes plus the odd long journey on motorways (mostly empty not like the UK)".

I don't like the idea of KESSY and the self-parking thingy doesn't appeal much either. Having said all that, I've never actually tried any if these things! :think:

My current view on CC is that I want a fixed speed, and if there's a car in front I'll change lanes and pass it. If traffic density doesn't permit this style of driving then it's too busy to use CC and I knock it off and use my foot, but that's where I guess the ACC would allow me to keep it on that bit longer. Until I've tried it though I guess I don't know what I'm missing, so I'm happy...for now...

It works best on those 50mph stretches at roadworks where the traffic speed varies from 40-50mph. Just set it and go. Doesn't matter if the car ahead slows down.

Also you can set it to how far behind the car in front you want to be. The art is getting far enough back to feel comfortable, but close enough that people don't take the **** and dive into the gap. When they do, ACC can be a bit abrupt.

It works best on those 50mph stretches at roadworks where the traffic speed varies from 40-50mph. Just set it and go. Doesn't matter if the car ahead slows down.

Yes, I can see the appeal of that now you mention it. Damn it, now I'll be forever wishing my car had it!

For me this is where ACC works best when the roads are reasonably quiet & you can relax & let the car modify the speed for you.

If you try and use it in the UK on the M25 I'd expect the gap that it leaves just invites people to jump in-front of you causing the car to slow down to maintain the gap & frustrating the guy behind you to undertake & jump into the new gap.

For me it works best if you have a relaxed, smooth driving style (because it drives similar to how you would).

If you have a more agressive style you will find the system too slow & over cautious.

The roads in Switzerland are very clear for me in a morning.

When I take the other car with standard cruise I spend the whole journey adjusting up/down the set-speed or knocking it off to coast.

In the Skoda I just set my speed, choose the lane & let the car do the rest.

For me it works best if you have a relaxed, smooth driving style (because it drives similar to how you would).

If you have a more agressive style you will find the system too slow & over cautious.

Well, I'm not quite sure I follow that logic. My style is perfectly smooth on the motorway, in that I pick a speed and just stick to it. On quiet roads I don't see the advantage of ACC because if it ever eases off then it suggests you didn't pull out to the next lane in time (at least that's how I use it my non-adaptive one and it's great).

I absolutely get the 50mph roadworks thing.

Well, I'm not quite sure I follow that logic. My style is perfectly smooth on the motorway, in that I pick a speed and just stick to it. On quiet roads I don't see the advantage of ACC because if it ever eases off then it suggests you didn't pull out to the next lane in time (at least that's how I use it my non-adaptive one and it's great).

Thats assuming you always have an extra lane to move into.

• Like 1

For me it is the most useful bit of kit on the car, I would spec it on any new car and think hard if a car did not have it. With DSG it is just seamless

Exactly! normal cruise works if you don't have traffic in the way, but it is a pain with slower traffic in front and other traffic stopping you pulling out.

ACC just slows and then speeds back up when you indicate to pass. (the only problem being you have to make sure you don't indicate too early!)

Well, that's kind of where I define quiet and not quiet! :)

If people are genuinely getting in my way and I can't just set the non-adaptive cruise and leave it, then I knock it off and use my foot. In that circumstance I'm happy to be taking control, but then, as I said, I've never tried ACC so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

My Octavia is my first car with ACC before that I've only had normal CC.

Having got it setup as I like (the default settings leave far too big a gap in front - one white van man flashed me for leaving such a large gap - and is far too slow to regain speed) I have to say I would always look for ACC in future.

On empty French autoroutes, especially the peage sections, CC was fine; but on roads in the southern UK I found I could never use CC as I kept turning it on and off but ACC can just be left on which making driving much less stressful and more relaxing.

My Octavia is my first car with ACC before that I've only had normal CC.

Having got it setup as I like (the default settings leave far too big a gap in front - one white van man flashed me for leaving such a large gap - and is far too slow to regain speed) I have to say I would always look for ACC in future.

I love it, and it really works with the DSG

Might be worth setting the ACC mode to Sport - it fills the gaps faster - but might be due to DSG kickdown of gears.

I justified the £££ by viewing the auto-braking as a safety feature.

(Xenon's, LED rears, Heated screen, are all safety features too, right?)

I love it, and it really works with the DSG

Might be worth setting the ACC mode to Sport - it fills the gaps faster - but might be due to DSG kickdown of gears.

I justified the £££ by viewing the auto-braking as a safety feature.

(Xenon's, LED rears, Heated screen, are all safety features too, right?)

Xenons - Safer because you can see better

LED Rears - Safer because you can be seen better

Heated Screen - Safer because your screen is less likely to be misty

Yep. All safety features.

• Like 1

LED Rears - Safer because you can be seen better

And being visible a few hundred milliseconds earlier could reduce the speed of a collision by ~5mph or stopping distance by ~10m at motorway speeds.

- one white van man flashed me for leaving such a large gap -

To me, flashing headlights mean "Please make my life as difficult as possible"

If someone drives up your arse, it makes sense to slow down and leave a bigger safety gap to the car in front...

To me, flashing headlights mean "Please make my life as difficult as possible"

If someone drives up your arse, it makes sense to slow down and leave a bigger safety gap to the car in front...

Didn't have to - he "helpfully" :devil: passed me and then maintained his progress by weaving across all 3 lanes into whichever lane was moving quickest. A accident waiting to happen, so I was glad to have him a long way in front of me so someone else would be part of his accident :notme: .

Edited by PetrolDave

Didn't have to - he "helpfully" :devil: passed me and then maintained his progress by weaving across all 3 lanes into whichever lane was moving quickest. A accident waiting to happen, so I was glad to have him a long way in front of me so someone else would be part of his accident :notme: .

Thing is, I always prefer someone like that behind me. That way there is no chance I will get involved in the accident he creates.

Thing is, I always prefer someone like that behind me. That way there is no chance I will get involved in the accident he creates.

I'd rather have him a long way in front of me (so I've got chance to either turn off the motorway or stop when his accident causes all lanes to stop) than 6 inches away from my rear bumper.

But we're all different...

I'd rather have him a long way in front of me (so I've got chance to either turn off the motorway or stop when his accident causes all lanes to stop) than 6 inches away from my rear bumper.

But we're all different...

I take the point. Ideally they would just be on a different road, or even better banned from driving.