V5 sent through with wrong title

I have now had the V5 logbook through from the DVLA for the new car and some how they have managed to put me down as Mrs rather than Mr! Obviously needs changing but do I just submit it as a change on the form as i would a change of address or do I need to do anything else? I obviously don't want them to increment the owner number by 1 either. No idea where the mistake came from but sure I checked everything the dealer had but could have been them or the DVLA ticking the wrong box.

Just write to them with a covering letter and the V5. You don't want to send it through as a change as it will add another keeper to the history. Or just leave it as is, I've left V5s with my surname spelt with a wrong letter, or an additional letter without issues before although a different gender is slightly different I guess.

edit. take that back, my V5 makes no mention of sex and just has my first and second name, so I checked a copy of the one for the last car and its the same. The DVLA have no concept of gender, so it sounds like the V5 was filled in incorrectly or if a new car the dealer has registered it incorrectly.

I've had similar issues with my driving license before, upon contacting the dvla I was told quite firmly by some snot faced cretin at the other end of the phone that "the dvla do not make mistakes" I told them I was happy with that because it would be impossible to takeme to court for any traffic offences if they have the name spelled wrong on any summons, and then they told me I'd have to pay to have it changed to the correct spelling. They seriously are a bunch of feckless halfwits at the dvla.

Just write to them with a covering letter and the V5. You don't want to send it through as a change as it will add another keeper to the history. Or just leave it as is, I've left V5s with my surname spelt with a wrong letter, or an additional letter without issues before although a different gender is slightly different I guess.

edit. take that back, my V5 makes no mention of sex and just has my first and second name, so I checked a copy of the one for the last car and its the same. The DVLA have no concept of gender, so it sounds like the V5 was filled in incorrectly or if a new car the dealer has registered it incorrectly.

Checked my wife's V5C and hers has Mrs tagged before her surname. The section for new details has a check box for titles so I presume it has been either wrongly ticked or wrongly read, not looking to get into a blame game. It does clearly say that you must check that the details are correct so hopefully by filling it in, NOT checking the new keeper box and putting in a covering letter it can get sorted without incrementing the keepers!

I'll be taking copies of everything though, just in case.

Edited by Moist Von Lipwig

Give them a phone.

I recently changed car and moved plate at the same time.

DVLA got it in the wrong order and removed me as the owner of the new car.

Got through after a couple of rings and sorted out over the phone in a few minutes.

Got the impression it's a regular **** up and they're used to fixing it.

I spoke to someone this morning about it. Just got to fill in section 6 with the correct details sign it and send it in. Also included a covering letter and made sure not to tick the change of owner box so according to the guy I spoke to it won't add an extra owner.

We recently got a new (to us) car recently and the dealer put me as keeper instead of SWMBO, and to cut a long story short - fill in the correct details and send it back. The DVLA will tell you to do a covering letter but we reckon you'll get on better with a post-it note stuck to it instead.

The long story is... we got V5 in wrong name, phoned DVLA and was advised to fill in relevant section and send back with covering letter. Did this and got nothing back after about 2.5 weeks so phoned again. Best they can do is issue a replacement V5. Replacement arrived after about a fortnight, still in wrong name, phoned again, was told to repeat step 1. Another couple of weeks go by and I get a letter asking when I sold the car. This time the letter had a person's name and number so phoned her. She says she only gets the V5, NEVER a covering letter, so needs to send letter to previous keeper etc. Managed to sort it out by email direct to her, after 2.5 months, and got the correct V5 without showing me as a previous keeper. Therefore, we reckon a post-it note has a better chance of getting to the chick who actually deals with it, since the letter obviously goes straight in the bin.

• 3 weeks later...

Had 2 similar problems when we bought our car last year.

The V5 came back with my other half's name spelt Svem (instead of Sven) then when we got the MOT certificate from the dealer they had the reg one digit out so had problems when we came to tax the car!

Both sorted out with a covering letter.

Not an issue that it doesn't say Mr so probably just easier to leave it as is!

Phil

Had 2 similar problems when we bought our car last year.

The V5 came back with my other half's name spelt Svem (instead of Sven) then when we got the MOT certificate from the dealer they had the reg one digit out so had problems when we came to tax the car!

Both sorted out with a covering letter.

Not an issue that it doesn't say Mr so probably just easier to leave it as is!

Phil

Not bothered about the lack of Mr on it as it really makes no odds.

My parents had an issue with a garage doing a similar thing with an MoT certificate, but they couldn't just reissue it, even though we noticed it the day they issued it, they had to do a full MoT again, obviously at no cost, but still a waste of time.

Really!

I was told to send a copy of the V5 showing the VIN number and reg number matching to the VIN on the MOT.

They just changed it and sent a new MOT certificate.

Phil