H7 Headlight bulbs - 4 in 4 years ownership - too many?

More or less what the title suggests.

I've owned my Octy for around 4.5 years she was first registered in Jan 2010.  In that time I have needed to replace 4 H7 headlight bulbs - always the H7 not the H1 circuit for some reason.  The right hand one blows and gets replaced, then about 2-6 weeks later the left hand one goes.  I did them after about 18 months ownership, and about 18 months later they have just gone again!!  At the moment I'm putting in what I would term 'bog standard' headlight bulbs, but I know you can get what I will fancier/pricier ones (Halfords seem to do about 6 different types!) - are they worth the money/trying?  Has anyone any clues as to what is blowing them please?  Would a new battery help?  Probably still on original battery from new.  Luckily this time she has done them in the summer and during the day so I can see to fix them, but the first time she chose a French motorway at -18C in the snow and the dark and I damn near froze in the car park doing one. 

N.B.  If anyone has any tips on how to get the electrical connector out of the headlamp cluster that would be great, brute force just about frees the right-hand one, but the left hand one seems jammed solid which means I can't take the cluster inside to do it - yes, it was the LH one that blew on the French motorway!!  FWIW I'm a dab hand at demounting the lighting cluster! LOL

She is a standard 1.9 Mk II Elegance, with no fancy stuff, she has a different radio system, but it's nothing special, and sometimes the kids run their video units and I run the satnav off the cigarette lighter system.

Any clues would be great.

Thanks

My VRS only blew one brake light in 7yr. All the rest were original.= so 4 in 4yr does seem a bit odd.

Electrical system been checked?

It may be worth using Eco bulbs, like Philips EcoVision as they have more solid filaments. That bulb cured our problem on our Polo that ate taillights weekly.

However, they are slightly dimmer than regular bulbs.

Maybe talk to the people at powerbulbs.uk  - they might have an idea. 

FWIW, I try & change bulbs in pairs as I found that if you changed one, the other would blow a short time later.

My Wife's MX-5 was still on original bulbs after ten years, we got rid of it at 12 years old and all I had to change was 1 dipped beam (but did both) and both 501 rear number plate bulbs (on the Facelift Mark 2 doubles up as boot light as well).

At the moment I'm putting in what I would term 'bog standard' headlight bulbs, but I know you can get what I will fancier/pricier ones (Halfords seem to do about 6 different types!) - are they worth the money/trying? 

You have answered your own question. You get what you pay for.

The fact that both bulbs are failing at around the same time suggests to me that the bulbs have simply reached the end of their life.

Be warned that buying the most expensive bulb available isn't always the best option. When my 'cheap' Halfords bulbs blew I changed them for Osram Nightbreakers, brighter yes, but this also meant they failed earlier too.

You also don't mention if you drive during the day with headlights on or what type of mileage you do. Someone driving 30,000 miles a year will be more likely to consume more bulbs than someone covering only 10,000 miles per year.

I had three headlight bulbs go inside two months, I changed all of the front bulbs for new and haven't had a problem for 2 years since. Put it down to coincidence.

Bad batch?

I have a 1.6 tdi and so far, in 2.5 years, only 1 H7 bulb. Apart from the stupidity of having to remove the entire unit they seemed easy to replace.

You think that undoing one large plastic nut and pulling a lever to remove the whole headlamp is stupid!  Most cars now require front grill and/or body panels removed to allow headlamp access to replace headlamp bulbs.

There is a special long life bulb available from Osram I think. Costs about £8 for one. As another poster has stated a slightly tougher filament that withstands the bumps and vibrations a little better. I had a problem in a Focus as bulbs lasted only a few months. The same in the octavia last years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skoda have listened to you & made some exciting changes on the Mk3 Octavia :p

Indicator bulb change on MK3

I can honestly say that's put me off a mk3 in future. I was thinking more towards a Superb anyway and this adds weight...(don't tell me the same is true of the Superb too!!).

My God, I was hoping one day to get a MkIII, but if that's the nightmare just to change a single bulb, then that puts me right off - what were the designers thinking!!!. 

I've always been really pleased with how easy the bulb change is in my old girl, the indicators are a doddle too - just drop the light cluster and twist the holder out, and flat beaming the lights to drive on the other side of the briney is a similarly easy job - I've done it that often I reckon I can flat beam both lights in under 3 minutes.  Perhaps pricier bulbs are worth trying as many of you have suggested.  The adjusters and the spring clips are quite firm on both lights - they are a bit fiddly to line up on the H7, but once I get them all lined up properly they twist 'home' quite emphatically.  I guess I do about 15-20K a year and yes I do often run the lights on during the day if it's dull or in 'typical British summer weather :rain:

Thanks for all the thoughts - any other ideas would be welcome.  I might mention it to the dealers when it next needs a service - they might be able to test the electronics when it is in.

I've noticed with having the coming home lights enabled it seemed to burn through bulbs very quickly.  Soon as I disabled that I've not had to change a bulb since!

I've replaced 3 in 5 years. Buying quality bulbs from Hafords makes no difference except higher cost per bulb. Buy one get one free works against you when you just need a single.

I did notice two bulbs failing whilst there was lightning in the area?