Excessive DPF Regeneration Octavia VRS Mk3

I think they're active regens as the fans are running on for 10mins after I've switched the ignition, increased idle speed of and the auto stop start doesn't operate while the regen is happening. I try to let the regen finish when I'm driving but if not take it out for a run next day.  I've done 40 mile trips at 70mph jumped in the car 2 hours later and its started a regen which have been separated by as little as 100 miles.

Sportsbilly.

Passive regens should occur while driving normally under load 1800 rpm ish.  Active regen the ECU software takes control and starts a regen automatically.........I think

You need to be about 2200 rpm for the regen to work properly. In the early days people seem to have had a few regens and then they settle down. Are you using supermarket fuel or a decent brand, as it seems to make a difference.

Are you DSG or manual??

Manual car just over 6k miles and its been doing this from the day I got it. It doesn't show any faults according to dealer and I've tried Shell, BP, Asda, Tesco, Esso, Morrisons,and Total without any difference and even added Millers Ecoboost.

2.0TDI VRS Estate

Noticed the same with mine but just put it down to it being new. Done 9k miles, mostly on dual carriageways / motorways. I've experimented with different fuels too.

It's a 2.0TDI vRS estate.

I was waiting for someone else to ask this question.

Mine is 7500 miles old and that all been done in 4 months, manual also.

It probably does a regen at least once a week and any time it feels like it regardless of the speed or distance I have been driving. I think it waits till the car is warmed up so about 15 mins or so when it takes me 25mins to drive home I often get the 10 mins of fans and burnt coffee smell as it doesn't finish the regen. Its annoying and a lot more frequent than my last TDI ever did.

I mean I drove 750kms in one day on back roads so pretty much a big fang drive and then it did a regen the next day!? Last week I drove back from skiing same type of trip, 200+kms in <2 hours and then it did it when I stopped to get some food at the half way point.

I thought something was wrong like a bung sensor etc but dealer doesn't think so and no warnings or anything showing so far. So just business as usual I guess, the version 3 does it more than the version 2 apparently?

Edited by snala

This sounds exactly the same as mine. Its as if the passive regeneration from long runs isn't working so it automatically goes into an active regen. I've driven 140 miles at motorway speeds and then it does a regen the next day, surely the soot levels would be lower and you'd have to do a few days of stop start driving before a regen would be required.

I do wonder if perhaps high speed/high load(i.e. towing) necessitates MORE regens(though they should be passive), simply because with the engine working harder and burning more diesel, more soot must be created.

Ideally for a DPF installation should? be extended low throttle=high fuel efficiency runs.

I too have been perplexed for the car to decide to do a re-gen on a short run the day after a 100 mile Motorway run.

Or am I gibbering?

BUT

Essentially I do not know the DPF exists on our 1.6CR, despite a reasonably unsuitable driving regime.

And 65,000 over 4 years. But a very erratic driving pattern.

PS

I do NOT believe high engine revs are necessary, for a re-gen, one merely requires to get the DPF up to the correct temperature, so merely watch the temp gauge, and driving at higher speeds in lower revs will also work the engine hard and "het its watter".

cheers

marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

There's loads about this in the mk2 section. There's 2 types of active regens. The first type is triggered when the soot level in the dpf reaches a certain level. The second is triggered if the first type has not been done in the previous (IIRC) 600 Miles. If you're getting them really often (I.e. increase of idle speed/increased heat in engine bay as dpf runs hot) then either your driving pattern isn't really suitable for a modern diesel or you have a technical problem-most likely a faulty sensor. You're likely to get more regens when the car is new too, but it should start to settle down after a few 1000 miles as it loosens up and starts to use less fuel. If you get the 'fans' it's because you've interupted an active regen. It should start the regen again, probably the next time your car is fully up to temperature. If you get this a number of times on close together you're not completing the regen cycle so you need to take it for a run. If you don't you'll get a dpf light (driver assist regen) next stage if you don't complete the cycle will be limp mode and then it's off to the dealers for a forced refen

You can't do a forced regen yourself, only the dealer or someone with vcds can. if you don't it'll be a new dpf....ouch

there's a dpf leaflet on the skoda uk website telling you what to do

The issues of long motorway driving and DPF issues is a well known issue and covered by the AA.

From the AA "

AA experience

We're seeing some evidence of DPF systems failing to regenerate even on cars used mainly on motorways.

On cars with a very high sixth gear the engine revs may be too low to generate sufficient exhaust temperature for regeneration. Occasional harder driving in lower gears should be sufficient to burn off the soot in such cases."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the car back to the dealer and they carried out a forced regen. I've done a bit of mixed driving for a few days and its done another regen after approx 180 miles which seems to have been completed as the fans didnt run on after a blast out and oil temp was well over 100deg but its now got fans running on again after only 30 miles surely this means the passive regen isn't working properly?