DIY 6 Speed DSG Oil & Filter Change

• 2 years later...

BUMP :D  So, a DSG service involves that filter and seal kit. plus 5 litres of the right oil.

The thing which surprises me above with the heavy labour charge is oil @ £8.60 a litre when it looks to be £12 a litre in most places.

:)

Correct. Just search for DSG filter on eBay and buy a genuine one. They come with the new seal.

And yes 5 litres. Again have a look on eBay. You can get it a little cheaper. Buy the genuine stuff though as aftermarket doesn't save much cash.

I might even have a full unopened bottle you can have and I can do you a little offcut of the pipe I used as it was a perfect fit over the filter tube (have to use this as just pouring it in will take hours).

I recommend running basic settings on the box afterwards with VCDS where it runs through all the actuators and re-calibrates the clutch biting points.

It's easier than my Saab box that will need doing soon... I need 11 litres and to do it three times with a drive in between (as over half stays in torque converter when drained).

• 1 year later...

So... 40,000 miles later this needed doing again. 

I did it myself this time. 

It's just as easy as a normal oil change, only with the extra time required to remove and refit the airbox and battery. 

I had a Pressol oil funnel in my garage and found that the tip fit perfectly in the hole at the top of the filter housing. It still took a while to fill up though. 

A bungee cord held it in place which meant it was a lot easier to just fill the funnel and leave it to drain in. 

4.3L drained, 4.4L filled up. 

20180528_111210.thumb.jpg.e8909d6d39410c80f25b193a933fc86f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ah. Ignore my PM then. I see you've managed to do it!

That's one good thing I've found with doing the gear oil changes on the Saab is that I don't have to remove the battery or air box or anything which greatly speeds the process up.