New polo vs audi a1?

fabiamk2SE

So. The budgets £15k (about, and this is the price we pay, not the list price haha)

Its primarily for my mum. So she doesnt want anything too big (apparently a golf is big? First iv heard of it..)

Need to be a new car, was going to be a Mini Cooper but my brothers having a kid (well, its his girlfriend thats popping it out) and a pram wont fit in the boot, plus my dad struggled to get out the back of it on the test drive. Oh, and the reverse gear is a big design flaw, so its pretty much off the cards at the moment.

Other temptations is the vw polo. This cant be basic (had 2005 one since nearly new and its done us well, but its time for a new one and its not much kit on it. Even windey windows in the front) so maybe an SE. Dont want the 1.0 litre engine so itd need to be a 1.2tsi 90 or 110hp i suppose.

Or the audi a1. Not decided on spec yet as i havent looked into them too much but i do love the looks, interior and quality. Maybe the same 1.2tsi 90 or the 1.4 122hp depending in price. Basically the best one we can get for the money (i personally love the s-lines but the parents arent bothered about a sporty ride and seats, plus its out of budget at about £20k)

What would you have, and why? Anybody had much experience with either?

Whats this about the new computer system on the polo?

No finance, just cash prices so finance deals arent really relevant.

Cheers :).

• Like 1

The polo. Both an A1/BMW 1 or zetec tend to be poorly specced for that money IMO, whereas I would have thought you'd get better value from the polo. The BMW 1 also isn't small, although it feels small inside, as does the A1. I find the fiesta dash space age and cluttered, although that's probably my only complaint other than price/value for money!

Could you persuade them to wait for a Fabia 3? :)

Edited by Oli3000

Given my 'Cars' section, you can guess me preference :)

I just got rid of the Mrs Mini One D - great little car, but as you say, boot too small, and I have to agree reverse gear protection was all to easy to overcome on a quick downshift to 2nd.

I've driven a couple of new Polo's, and they are good. The A1 of course is the exact same car underneath, so you pay for 3 things...

1. The badge

2. Quality of interior/technology

3. Better residual value

Depends how long you plan to keep it, and how bother you are about having a nice cabin to sit in, but for me, the small extra cost for the A1 is worth it for the fact of it being a better product and worth more come resale so long term doesn't actually cost much more than the Polo.

EDIT: Oh and I had a BMW 135i convertible - also a great car! But if you live where it snows, don't bother!

Edited by josedebardi

mother in law has an A1 which she dislikes greatly... Boot's too small, tyres are a pita to get here and mad money... The dpf has had it in the garage twice (fine thats with a diesel, but either way...) shes not mad about the seat comfort, and sweet fa space in the back... Only reason its not been traded already is father in law decide what to get her instead. Had 2 1.2 fiestas 09 and 10 new shape which were great!

£15,000 on a New car.   ?

Best go look in the boots.

The 'S' Line handling on the A1 is not Sporty, just hard and the Salesperson will tell you you what the bigger alloys.

The Interiors are nice, there is not the room there is in a Fabia.

Maybe check out the Polo with sensible size Wheels / Tyres

EDIT> PS.   ? Would she consider looking at a Hyundai i30  ?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

mmm its those bigger alloys that the mammy in law has on hers... Lack of a spare wheel is an arse too... She got a puncture one day and in the 1/2 mile it took to get a safe pull in the tyre wall had shredded... The bottle of poxy crap and a pump was of no benefit there! Had to call me as closest to go whip the off and get a fresh tyre fitted. Lucky she was in town at the time!

Cheers for the input guys! Muchly appreciated.

Is there a lot more room in the back on the a1 sportback then? Boot and space in the back is pretty important. Although my dad never sits in the back, for some reason he likes to be able to. The mini was a nightmare for him, being 6 foot off and big shoulders, plus a well earnt beer belly, he needs the space haha.

I think the a1 SE would perhaps be within the price range George. Have you driven one of these? Is the ride better? Mum doesnt drive fast or sporty so she needs a comfy one really haha.

Jack - im afraid the bmw 1 series isnt an option. We do live where it snows very bad. Not only would it be useless in winter, but my mother would just crash in the case a power slide, she wouldnt know whst opposite lock is! Haha. Plus i hear the RWD reduces boot space? Which is more important.

Cheers mac11ir and oli3000 - looks like its steering towards a polo then! Space is of a priority now really.

Dads not interested in a Fiesta. I like them personally but hes not interested in the interior ;"(i agree) and doesnt think theyre built as well as the Germans can do it, plus a few other reasons which iv since forgot.

The new polo looks good. I think ill blag a test drive.

Whats this new computer interface like? Anybody used it?

George, one for you mate, am i right in thinking the polo is running the pq25 like my fabia? Is the 'new' polo just a facelift? Theirs still a new model expected in a year or so isnt there?

mmm its those bigger alloys that the mammy in law has on hers... Lack of a spare wheel is an arse too... She got a puncture one day and in the 1/2 mile it took to get a safe pull in the tyre wall had shredded... The bottle of poxy crap and a pump was of no benefit there! Had to call me as closest to go whip the off and get a fresh tyre fitted. Lucky she was in town at the time!

It's a nightmare out here where there isn't much phone signal

Seat ibiza... You can thank me later.

Had crossed my mind.

Is there a new model due out soon though?

I know my neighbour got a pretty well specced sport rider with the 1.4 85? (Old engine) for £12k 2 years ago. Its nice enough, but we'd require a different spec and engine aha.

I never even thought of the Ibiza... i dont know about new models, but my last car was a Cordoba - same thing - and was comfy etc

(until the engine went, my own fault really... i stopped liking it after it was crashed into, and then ended up parked for 9 months while i was away took weeks to clean up the inside after i got back to it and then just couldnt be bothered about it...)

Back O/T

Id test drive, and get the parents to drive too, a Polo in the spec you want, and an Ibiza.

Fabia too, unless you want to hold out to see new model.

Dont bother with the A1 - more money for more badge and less car....

I never even thought of the Ibiza... i dont know about new models, but my last car was a Cordoba - same thing - and was comfy etc

(until the engine went, my own fault really... i stopped liking it after it was crashed into, and then ended up parked for 9 months while i was away took weeks to clean up the inside after i got back to it and then just couldnt be bothered about it...)

Back O/T

Id test drive, and get the parents to drive too, a Polo in the spec you want, and an Ibiza.

Fabia too, unless you want to hold out to see new model.

Dont bother with the A1 - more money for more badge and less car....

I think a test drive is the way forward isnt it. See what they say about the ibiza too.

No need to test drive the fabia, i own a 13 plate one! Haha.

Of the two I think the Polo would suit your mum better the A1 has a really small boot and no chance of fitting a spare wheel on it. Plus the new polo gets a lot of upto date technology and safety kit not around on the A1 as yet.

Maybe a left field choice and know you said your dad likes German cars but the new i10 is seriously impressive the quality inside seems like golf level never mind up! or polo and the space is not much less. Probably has a better shape boot than the A1 and you can have the 1.2 top trim for about 12k. 

David 

• Like 1