Skoda Superb Review

Watsona6

I've had the car 2 weeks now after purchasing it second hand. It's the 1.6 Greenline Elegance with leather electric adjustable seats, columbus sat nav, parking sensors, park assist etc. First impressions were a bit glum, the dealer could have done a better job with the prep (supermarket job, not a main dealer) but that was sortable with some elbow grease. First thing I did (after putting some juice in it given it was bone dry) was try to connect the works blackberry. What a pain in the butt. The iPhone connected straight up but the blackberry took days of fiddling!! It's working for now though! First impressions........... Comfortable, love the programmable seats (especially with 'er indoors' jumping in it every 5 minutes and leaving the seat touching the steering wheel), spacious, smooth, love the touchscreen phone feature and nice and reigned to drive. Did a few work related journeys (about 150 miles in total) before our long slog to Paris via Birmingham and London.

Now then. The sat nav, despite the moans of 'stay on this road for a long time' was bang on. Absolutely super, both in the UK and in France. MPG was impressive too. About 49mpg on the 130km motorways in France, 56 to 59 on the UK motorways, 62 ish on the UK A roads and if I try really hard I can get 65 plus (best was 79 on a 15 min drive to the mother in laws - such a geek I even took a picture of the maxidot!) on A and B roads.

After reading some threads on here I switched the badges to the black Citigo ones as I think they look smart, I've left the wheels as they are though. I ditched those awful green Greenline logos off the sides within a day, they looked pants. I'm thinking of a remap, but think I'll hold my horses for another 12 months.

I've tried the auto park job 3 times. 2 times it was bang on, the 3rd I'd have banged a bin if I didn't hit the brake!

All in all I LOVE the car so far and the economy given the size of this thing is outrageous! Boring probably but I feel good writing this. Well done Skoda!

• Like 4

Firstly, welcome to Briskoda, one of the friendliest and most helpful forum on the web!

Secondly, thanks for the review and it sounds like a nice spec'd Greenline you have and you're certainly getting some great MPG figures there!

• 4 weeks later...

About 1k in so thought I'd do an update.........I've been all over the UK and to France and the car is spot on. Nice and smooth, economical (about 58mpg on average) and snappy enough if I ever need it to be. I like the sat nav, love the electric seats now I've set it to my setting on unlock (much to the wife's annoyance). The space is super, the parking sensor is great, haven't used the auto park much. Love the lights including the ch and Lh settings. Love the phone setup, switching between work and personal phone or having work phone on but personal phone on the bt audio. Really pleased I plumped for the Superb!!

........love the electric seats now I've set it to my setting on unlock (much to the wife's annoyance)............

If you have two keys, you can programme your wife's setting into the other key, which might get you back into her good book.

• Like 1

Have you tried calculating 'real' mpg? Zero the trip when you fill up. Next time you fill up write down the mileage on your receipt before you re-zero. Divide the mileage by the amount of litres used to top up and multiply by 4.546 for mpg.

The reason I say this is my cars computer is optimistic. A trip from Aberdeen to the Lakes and back at sub 'safety' camera activation speeds resulted in a displayed mpg of 48. Calculated mpg was 43. Still not bad for a car like mine but shows how optimistic the computer is.

I know the maxidot is out somewhat but haven't done any brim to brim recordings. I like to get 100 miles to a tenner which seems there or thereabouts at present.

Have you tried calculating 'real' mpg? Zero the trip when you fill up. Next time you fill up write down the mileage on your receipt before you re-zero. Divide the mileage by the amount of litres used to top up and multiply by 4.546 for mpg.

The reason I say this is my cars computer is optimistic. A trip from Aberdeen to the Lakes and back at sub 'safety' camera activation speeds resulted in a displayed mpg of 48. Calculated mpg was 43. Still not bad for a car like mine but shows how optimistic the computer is.

Mine is approaching 30k kms and the fuel economy has improved over the past while.  I'm getting almost an extra 100kms from a full tank now (with the same driving, mixed but majority extra urban)) which translates in the calculated going from 43mpg to around 47mpg.  It was the same story in the last Superb - decent enough economy up until 25 to 30k kms and then a noticeable improvement after that.  As a comparison, the maxidot was displaying an average of around 48mpg up until l recently and now it is at 51mpg so roughly 10% difference most of the time between calculated and actual.

20140818_120048_zpsb3343ba1.jpg

This is my best to date , I often get 54-56 fill to fill

I'm more intrigued where the rev counter is at 50mph :) Had you taken it out of gear or what? Those 'real' numbers you're getting are very good for a 170.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

love the electric seats now I've set it to my setting on unlock

How did you do this, I have followed the instructions on page 82 of the manual to no avail.

Come someone give me pointers into where I might be going wrong.

Hi Jambo

Took a few attempts but finally worked.

From memory I just followed the steps but it did take a few goes.

How did you do this, I have followed the instructions on page 82 of the manual to no avail.

The instructions in the manual should be ok. Basically, ignition to position one. Get seat into desired position. Press set. Release set. Press and hold memory number until it bongs.

You can check if it's set correctly my moving your seat and then pressing the same memory number button - it should go back to your setting.

I have found out how to do it, the instructions in the electronic copy of the manual are different to the paper copy of the user manual.

I really should get a relevant electronic copy of my paper manual.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

The instructions in the manual should be ok. Basically, ignition to position one. Get seat into desired position. Press set. Release set. Press and hold memory number until it bongs.

You can check if it's set correctly my moving your seat and then pressing the same memory number button - it should go back to your setting.

Thanks Jonathon, I had managed to store the seat position in the memory, it's storing the position to the relevant key I was having the problem with, but have since remedied. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have done two brim to brim measurements and get 55.6 and 56.4 MPG. Quite happy with that. Consumption data 2, which I leave each time I fill up (zero 1) is showing about 58 at the mo so very close to the actual brim to brim calculations.