I think my fuel tank has a hole in it...

Just returned from the West Country for a beer festival and before I went I brimmed the tank and got 403 miles out of it & that was with the needle just entering the red zone on the fuel gauge, so probably could have had at least another 30 miles on top of that if I'd had the bottle. 

Considering the crappy journey I had down, but the terrific roads of Somerset & North Devon to run around on, it managed to do an average of 32.04 mpg, not bad considering that quite a bit was at 60-70 mph or above!  :blush:

Filled it with Tesco 99 at Minehead and I've just done just under 245 miles & it's on between 66% & 50% tank left & on the run back it was averaging 36.8 it would have been better still if two clots hadn't pranged two horse boxes on the A331!  :wall:

Just over the 5k miles mark now, so still running in. Very happy so far.

More than happy with my fuel economy on my 2.0tdi. Currently doing 100mile round trip daily on A roads/dual carriage ways and seeing 55+ mpg on all the trip computer menus. Had the car a week and already done 900 miles and still on my 2nd tank of fuel with couple hundred miles left in the tank. Car came with 6 miles on the clock. Fuel tank stillcould of done with being bigger tho!

Trip computer long term after 6k miles shows 62 mpg in my 1.6 DSG. Fuely below shows 58 mpg. Brochure said combined 74 mpg :thumbdown:

The quoted figures in the brochure aren't for an actual customer car driven on the road so you can't meet them figures

• Like 1

More than happy with my fuel economy on my 2.0tdi. Currently doing 100mile round trip daily on A roads/dual carriage ways and seeing 55+ mpg on all the trip computer menus. Had the car a week and already done 900 miles and still on my 2nd tank of fuel with couple hundred miles left in the tank. Car came with 6 miles on the clock.

Skoda employee alert.

Do you always have to be such an arse? If you're only doing 50 mile journeys and driving sensibly it's perfectly possible to get that sort of MPG

No it isn't.

Now behave, otherwise I'll have the fetch the hose and force you back under your bridge......and neither of us wants that, do we?

If you want to drive "sensibly" go and buy a Ford Fiesta not a Skoda vRS.

No it isn't.

Now behave, otherwise I'll have the fetch the hose and force you back under your bridge......and neither of us wants that, do we?

The person you were replying to has a Black edition with the CR150 not a vrs.

That's the same engine as in mine, and I've averaged 54mpg from new over nearly 8000 miles.

Oh, don't be a complete and utter twunt.

There are plenty of reasons for buying a vRS other than for the "performance", and if you really want performance there are other cars you can spend £25k on and get a lot more bang for your bucks.  The vRS TDi is a moderately quick car - and as I and others have proved, it can also return decent mpg figures if you don't drive it like a loon.

Perhaps you just need to learn to drive properly before blaming your car for your own shortcomings.

• Like 3

Oh, don't be a complete and utter twunt.

There are plenty of reasons for buying a vRS other than for the "performance", and if you really want performance there are other cars you can spend £25k on and get a lot more bang for your bucks.  The vRS TDi is a moderately quick car - and as I and others have proved, it can also return decent mpg figures if you don't drive it like a loon.

Perhaps you just need to learn to drive properly before blaming your car for your own shortcomings.

I nearly did buy a VRS, and I'm pretty sure that if I had, probably 90% of my journeys would have been driven at exactly the same pace that they are in my Elegance. I don't drive like an arse as it would only save 2 minutes on the commute, and on long motorway trips I'm on cruise control at the speed limit so the consumption would be very similar. On weekend drives on A and B roads I might push on a bit more, but would still drive with some consideration for economy.

If I wanted a quick car then I'd have bought something else. Probably another motorbike.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Hi, just got my new 2L Diesel estate and also dismayed at the range and what seems to be the inaccurate fuel gauge. I filled up the other day with apparently 15 miles to go and managed to squeeze in 42.9 litres and that was absolutely up to the brim. So with over 7 litres left it would have had well over 80 miles left. MPG's OK though, M1 was slow all the way down from Lutterworth to Watford last night and sitting 50 in the roadworks and just over 60 the rest of the way it averaged 67 mpg and that's an engine which has done less than a 1000 miles.

Shame they've reduced the tank size I was very close to getting an Insignia this time but I thought I'd stick with what I knew, if I'd have noticed the smaller tank I think I'd have taken the plunge.

So you're disappointed with low mpg, when you've done just 1000 miles? Well, it will only get better as the miles go on, at 1000 miles it's still very tight.

If you want to know what bad is you could try one of the cars I've had in the past and that was a 184 hp 2.0 diesel 4x4 & that would drink a 60 ltr tank in less than a week and would demolish £160 worth of diesel in less than a month & it didn't improve at all even with 6000 miles OTC. I kept it less than a year.

I had a loan of a Golf for a month whilst waiting for the Octy. 

Hi, just got my new 2L Diesel estate and also dismayed at the range and what seems to be the inaccurate fuel gauge. I filled up the other day with apparently 15 miles to go and managed to squeeze in 42.9 litres and that was absolutely up to the brim. So with over 7 litres left it would have had well over 80 miles left. MPG's OK though, M1 was slow all the way down from Lutterworth to Watford last night and sitting 50 in the roadworks and just over 60 the rest of the way it averaged 67 mpg and that's an engine which has done less than a 1000 miles.

Shame they've reduced the tank size I was very close to getting an Insignia this time but I thought I'd stick with what I knew, if I'd have noticed the smaller tank I think I'd have taken the plunge.

So what did you get out of the tank?

I'm averaging about 50mpg over 5000 miles, and usually run right down to almost zero range before refilling, which means I am putting in about 45l and getting about 500 miles to a tank.

Can't see anything wrong with that personally. My O2 admittedly had a larger tank, but we are only talking a couple of gallons, so I would get about 600 miles from a tank.

Seeing as I don't tend to drive 500 miles in one go without needing to stop for a coffee, pee or a MacDonalds breakfast I seem to manage OK with the slightly smaller tank.

• Like 2

Hi Andyvee,I managed to squeeze 500 out of it,its not about driving 500 miles in one hit, its how much I hate stopping for fuel plus I have a Shell card which limits which garages I use.I seem to average about 560-580 miles a week which was doable in the old Octavia and I always fill up on a Friday night on the M1. Going to Halfords today to buy a 10 litre can, problem solved !

Hi Andyvee,I managed to squeeze 500 out of it,its not about driving 500 miles in one hit, its how much I hate stopping for fuel plus I have a Shell card which limits which garages I use.I seem to average about 560-580 miles a week which was doable in the old Octavia and I always fill up on a Friday night on the M1. Going to Halfords today to buy a 10 litre can, problem solved !

That'll smell lovely in the boot of the car. I used to collect Shell points, and never had any problems with finding garages to fill up when out on the road, and I would always avoid the motorway services, as I was only allowed to use them in an emergency (company policy). I don't find the range a problem, the car warns me when I have 50miles left (which is more like 75 to 100), but I don't have to wait for the warning, I can and do plan ahead and divert my route if I need to fill up mid-week.

Yes I agree the range on the MK3 really isnt great....unless of course you can still comfortably drive 70/80 miles with zero range showing which i suspect is unlikely. Some speculation that tje reserve on these things is a good number of litres but ive never fancied trying.

My trusty old C5 had a capacity of 72 litres or 16 gallons. 750+ miles between fill ups was the norm. I do miss this. Not because it's a problem (it's not like we're on the outback with a fuel station every 200 miles) but because like most people, I'm inherently lazy. For a car aimed at high mileage fleet users, it does seem very small though. 

The range isnt significantly better than my wifes 1.6 petrol Astra H and that only has a 55l tank and isnt fantastic on fuel (38-40mpg perhaps).

Its frustrating having to refuel so often, 1st VAG diesel car ive had thats not easily cracked 500 miles from a tank.

I'm sorry but I don't see an issue with a smaller tank, the mk2 got around 500 to a tank the mk3 does the same or better so I dont see an issue, other than more mone money in my pocket!

Edited by Crogers
  • Like 1