How best to send bank details?

I need to send my bank details through to a solicitor to sort out getting some money that is owed transferred to me, not a scam before the thread goes down that route. Their letter, which was expected, to me has asked for the usual details of account number, sort code, branch address and account holder names. They have said to either send the details via letter or email and email in one or multiple emails.

Is there a particular security issue with sending these details or preferred method of sending them through?

The solicitor is quite a distance away so dropping the details in is not an option. I have never had an issue with sending details via email before but know some people are particularly wary of it and so a letter with the details may be a better solution but then that would have further personal details of me including my address and signature.

Any advice?

Phone them?

But in general, they can't do a lot with that information even if intercepted. They'd also need your proof of ID etc. to actually withdraw money. They could only use it to put money in!

Otherwise, the posty would steal thousands of bank statements!

• Like 1

Type your details out, then export as a password secured PDF file.

Email the PDF file then email the password separately.

The worst they could do is set up a direct debit (happened to Clarkson when he posted his details to prove a point).

They above is a decent way of doing it but send the password by a different method. i.e. email the file and phone the password.

If you can't use pdf you could use 7Zip since it's free too.

Or if you're stuck just split the details. Email half and fax/post the rest.

Or double envelope and special delivery. Outer envelope addressed to the firm, inner envelope marked "confidential" for Solicitor only.

Edited by Aspman

Type your details out, then export as a password secured PDF file.

Email the PDF file then email the password separately.

I had thought about this but if they can intercept one email surely they can intercept two and it is not like a physical piece of post so surely the original would still go through as well. I see no difference in doing this to sending the details spread over a number of emails.

If you are this worried, although as the above poster says there is nothing to worry about, get them to send you a cheque

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Not really worried about it, I have sent details previously with no issues but have had people say that there is a possibility of identity theft with it. Some of this is people being over cautious I know but I thought I'd ask the question rather than just assuming that I know everything and getting caught out.

When one pays by cheque, the cheque itself gives sort code, account number and account holder details anyway. I see no issue.

Good point that I hadn't actually thought about, yet it is where I would go to get the details to send through to them.

I'm actually content to send the details through to the solicitor via email once I have ensured that the email they have put on the letter is the correct one as the most likely issue I can see is that I email the details through to an address which is similar to the address given but not quite correct.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

• Like 1

No need to be paranoid IMHO. The bank constantly post your account details out to you with statements, new cards out etc so should be no issue.

You post cheques out to pay bills, mortgage applications are done by post. Data is posted all the time.

I think you are looking for a problem that is not there.

• Like 1

double envelope everything bar sort code, or last 3 digits of account number and registerred post them. Ring ahead and tell them to contact you by phone on receipt of the details and give them missing piece over the phone. Thats IF you want to be sure, and tbh i dont blame you. 99 percent no problem leaves that 1, typical chance of it going wrong.

I'm actually content to send the details through to the solicitor via email once I have ensured that the email they have put on the letter is the correct one as the most likely issue I can see is that I email the details through to an address which is similar to the address given but not quite correct.

Ask the solicitors to email you and also to add your email address to their friends or whitelist, and you reply to it.