Fuel consumption/Citigo Elegance 75

saucebox

Hello folks

Just completed first 1,000 miles, mostly town driving with a little urban exploration. I appreciate that in this running-in period the engine is only now loosening up but, even so (and measuring tank to tank becuase I don't trust the PID figures and have no idea how accurate the thing is in this respect), I'm averaging a hugely disappointing 46 mph.... and this using a light foot too... nothing remotely corresponding to what most users appear to be getting, viz 50 in town and 60 on the open road. Last weekend I had a long journey and the beast graciously recorded a figure of 54 mpg - still way, way down to what I would expect.

On another topic: sure, as the name implies, it's a vehicle best suited to urban use but, notwithstanding, my long journey was quite an ordeal from a comfort standpoint and I was jolly glad to get out of the thing on arriving at my destination. As for that  h o r r i b l e- sounding engine... (Car is Citigo/Elegance/75.)

PS For a top of the range model called "Elegance" I can't say I agree weith Skoda's interpreattion of the word when they feature that tacky-looking painted metal door trim. It makes the cabin looke so unfinshed. I hate it

Edited by saucebox

• Administrators

Hi,

All things are relative. I came out of a elegance spec superb to an elegance spec citigo, I know it's not the same level of elegance. But it's marginally up from it's entry spec brothers.

re economy it will open up. The only reference I have recently is a 600 mile round trip on motorways and A roads, 2 people + 70kgs in fuel, akin to a 3rd small adult. It made 59mpg on fuel use at around an average of 65mph. ( lots of cone/avg speed checks on route. )

I've done that trip in a 1.6cdi focus,  a 2litre superb and a similar one in a 4x41.8t/vrs combo, it was by far the most economic one, not the cheapest due to fuel prices now versus 10 years ago.

The citigo is aimed at urban and maybe local interurban. It's not a grand cruiser, but it will do it if you compromise.

Plus points, you can find smaller car parking spots and only pay £0.0 road fund. I can find loads of negative, it does not have haldex or rear discs, but I brought it for what it represents to me in $$$. When I'm back on my feet I can go back to a thirsty diesel.

• Like 1

the good numbers tend to come from a different driving style, not just a light foot. planning traffic lights to avoid stopping, not tail gating  - basically anything that avoids going down to 1st / 2nd and startig up again.

I came out of a elegance spec superb to an elegance spec citigo, 

Me too!  Went from a 3.6 V6 4x4 Superb (averaging about 32 mpg on my commute to Dundee) to an Elegance 75 Citigo - which is now averaging 68-70mpg on the same commute.

As a long distance cruiser it's far better than you'd imagine too.

The figures you quote are what we got for our Elegance 75 when new. Since then the figures have got better as the miles clock up.

I would expect the tolerances for the MPG on the PID to be better that an eye/click judged tank to tank measurement given the variables.

Did you not road test the Citigo before ordering and saw what the trim was for the car?

Our PID is on average 7% optimistic on MPG

over 9,000 miles we have

total fuel (ltrs) 866.58

total miles 9411

total avg mpg 49.32

total cost of fuel £1,108.68

avg trip accuracy 7.02%

Best mpg 55.71

avg cost/mile 11.8p

Edited by bluecar1

Have a new Black Edition. Previous car was a 75 Elegance Green tech. Economy on new one is virtually identical to previous car 60 on a run - 50 around town. Commute down a motorway everyday - comfortable, quite and economical and the upgraded radio is well worth it.

Once mine got to about 6k the engine really started to loosen up and and I got an extra 5mpg.

I came from a fully specced e46. 320d and I've done a few long journeys in the citigo and it's fine. I'm thinking of doing a road trip round Europe next year in the citigo a decent I have no worries at all about it.

I've stopped fretting over what mpg I get, it's good enough for me.

The Citigo is quite a capable motorway cruiser, I know I've done plenty of that in the past with it. When you've owned bigger cars (diesel and petrol Omegas) they are like sitting in your favourite armchair gliding along the m-way, i find the Citigo is comfortable enough on those long journeys but no Omega.

That little 3 pot engine sounds great, when your wafting along on the motorway it doesn't sound any noisier than any other car I driven in it's class.

• Like 3

A few things that will reduce the fuel efficiency:

Short journeys from cold

City centre crawling

Wider tyre option

Air conditioning use

Without further use pattern information from the OP there is no way to know why his MPG is lower than expected.

• Like 1

My Black Edition has about 450 miles on it and I'm well impressed with the 56 MPG I'm getting from it so far...

Comfort wise, I'm loving it, it sits at 70mph just right, seats are comfortable and its nippy enough for me around town. Overall I am VERY happy with my purchase!

Shaun

• Like 1

After about 6,000 miles in my Elegance 75PS I was averaging about 52mpg, was a bit disappointed so started changing gear according to the dashboard indicator (even if at first it feels odd).  By doing that the mpg has shot up to 60 which is much more what I'd expect.

The trick with the Citigo is... don't give in to the urge to drive it like a go kart!

• Like 1

My Black Edition has about 450 miles on it and I'm well impressed with the 56 MPG I'm getting from it so far...

Comfort wise, I'm loving it, it sits at 70mph just right, seats are comfortable and its nippy enough for me around town. Overall I am VERY happy with my purchase!

Shaun

Am just coming up to 600 miles in my Black Edition and the Long Term economy is 56.4 and still creeping up. Pretty damn good as I don't even try to drive economically and tend to use the Rev range up to 4500 (4000 for the first 500 miles)

Just for a different perspective I have the Elegance 75 with automated gearbox.  I am as yet (till run in) leaving the car to it's own devices.  Currently am on 44 to the gallon according to the PID.  I however have only done 130 miles or so.  I know this will improve as the mileage increases and everything beds in.

Well impressed with the robotised manual, had a Smart which had a similar set up, but no where near as intuative.  I love the fact it will go from 5th to 3rd in one hit and drops cogs under braking when going down hills.

So far thrilled with mine.  It is a great design well executed, why would anyone buy a Polo or similar when this car does all one requires and more.  Oh, the six speaker package is a must imho.  The 'drug dealer' glass makes the green one stand out a bit.  Not many green ones down here in Cornwall (yet).

Edited by Philip0603

Just for a different perspective I have the Elegance 75 with automated gearbox. I am as yet (till run in) leaving the car to it's own devices. Currently am on 44 to the gallon according to the PID. I however have only done 130 miles or so. I know this will improve as the mileage increases and everything beds in.

Well impressed with the robotised manual, had a Smart which had a similar set up, but no where near as intuative. I love the fact it will go from 5th to 3rd in one hit and drops cogs under braking when going down hills.

So far thrilled with mine. It is a great design well executed, why would anyone buy a Polo or similar when this car does all one requires and more. Oh, the six speaker package is a must imho. The 'drug dealer' glass makes the green one stand out a bit. Not many green ones down here in Cornwall (yet).

Agreed with you on the 6 Speaker/Entertainment Package. I've always wondered why there aren't more around with that option as it is a bargain for the money.