Better bulbs for Mk3 headlights.

Spent most this afternoon and evening reading and watching youtube bulb videos. I have come up with Philips White Vision H7 and Osram Cool Blue Intense H15, I have not had a chance to dig out my Octy manual, it's P'ing down outside, but reading this thread is seems the DRL's are incorporated in the standard H15 bulbs, the Osram bulb specs do not mention DRL's at all with the Cool Blue Intense. Both types are listed as fully road legal I am pleased to say.

Edited by ajw1100

Bought some Osram night breakers on the back of this thread and arrived today. I've had a read of the manual about changing the bulbs, but before I fit them I wanted to just double check:

You pull down on the light to remove and then pull off the connector. Connect to the new light and then is it just a case of pushing the new light in (flat, tab side up). There aren't any clips or tabs to close?

Cheers!

Bought some Osram night breakers on the back of this thread and arrived today. I've had a read of the manual about changing the bulbs, but before I fit them I wanted to just double check:

You pull down on the light to remove and then pull off the connector. Connect to the new light and then is it just a case of pushing the new light in (flat, tab side up). There aren't any clips or tabs to close?

Cheers!

It's ages since I changed the bulbs but iirc you remove the rubber boot and there is a clip holding the bulb in place, release the clip and remove bulb by pulling the whole plug and bulb rearwards. Once you have the bulb out you will need to remove the wiring plug from the back of the bulb then remove the silver bulb holder from the bulb, you may have to use a flat head screwdriver for that. Then fitting is the reverse.

I'm sure someone who has done it recently can confirm or correct me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only thing I'd ask about them D@z, is do they do them in H7 & 8's also, I Fn hate it when I see a car with two or three even slightly different colour lights, its my OCD kicking in.

You've also gotta remember the H15's are dual voltage, the lower voltage being for the DRL and are they white then ?

I was about to order from Powerbulbs 1 twin set of H7 Philips White Vision and 1 twin set of H15 Osram Cool Blue Intense. The blurb on the PB info for the H15's does not mention DRL's.  They are also offering a set of free sidelight bulbs but on another post here (Which has eluded me at the moment) I am sure it said the DRL's are the sidelights.

So are H15's Main Lights and DR Lights and Side Lights all in one? If so I will have 4 spare Side lights!

I want to make sure I am ordering the right bulbs before hitting the buy now button.

There is no mention of whether their prices include VAT or if it is added at the final page, this really annoys me as your good price suddenly hikes by 20% !!

Edited by ajw1100

Sidelights should be w5w, dipped beam is H7, main beam and DRL is dual filament/wattage H15

There is also 20% discount on power bulbs website. The w5w are free so if you don't want them they haven't cost anything.

If you get one free pair with each purchase then that's 2 sets, I would be looking at a set of LED w5w as a better colour match and then ring the company and see if they can do a deal on them in lieu of the free ones, ask them to leep the free ones and knock a fiver off the LED? Also, I'd recommend changing the indicator bulbs too for some silver Vision ones, takes away the 'fried egg' look

Prices do include VAT I have used them before.

Just had a look and you only get one pair of w5w free per 1 x £15 order per week. If you spend £45 in one order you will still only receive 1 set of free bulbs. If you split the order up over two weeks and assuming each order came over £15 you would get a free set each week.

Thanks for the fast replies, that makes things simpler, so, as I have standard halogen bulbs the H15 are Main & Daylight which doubles up as side lights. I will check tomorrow but the FREE sidelights might be ok for the Wife's Rapid Spaceback. Well spotted only 1 set per week, I will order all in one go and keep the one set for use as or when I need to.

It's ages since I changed the bulbs but iirc you remove the rubber boot and there is a clip holding the bulb in place, release the clip and remove bulb by pulling the whole plug and bulb rearwards. Once you have the bulb out you will need to remove the wiring plug from the back of the bulb then remove the silver bulb holder from the bulb, you may have to use a flat head screwdriver for that. Then fitting is the reverse.

I'm sure someone who has done it recently can confirm or correct me.

Hi Mate, cheers for replying. Looking at the manual it sounds like you're talking about a different car though!

http://skoda-auto.cm/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/octavia.aspx?requestOwnersManualOnlineVersion=en/Octavia_5E/11-2015/Manual/Octavia/online&requestOwnersManualLanguage=en&requestOwnersManualEditionDate=11-2015#!pageId=00620

Edited by Ash7

Had look at the headlight units this morning so I knew what was involved in swapping bulbs, my car is a MY2015. The manual is different to the link shown in Ash7's post above but gives the same information. If your standing in front of the car and working on the left light unit and want to access the H15 Main and DRL bulb it goes something like this:

Remove the inner large circular plastic cover by twisting the top of the vertically moulded ridge to the right about 25mm and the cover comes away. The next bit is the part that confused me looking at the manual. Using a mirror and torch I could see the connector sitting on top of the rear of the bulb housing, the manual seemed to give the impression to remove the connector, in my manual the arrow pointed down but I found I needed to slightly lift the connector up, do not try to lift it out the way upwards, it won't go! After lifting the connector slightly  the bulb holder (the orange coloured moulding) can be rotated again to the right and pulled backward leaving the connector attached to the headlight housing and the bulb and moulding in your fingers.

The dipped bulb is much easier.

So was the dipped headlight like it said in the manual? 

The way I understood it to be was: You pull down on the light+connector to release then pull out. remove and then pull off the connector. Connect to the new light and then is it just a case of pushing the new light in (flat, tab side up). There aren't any clips or tabs to close?

The part I don't understand from the manual is the second to last instruction: Remove the hook in the direction of arrow 3.

•  

Its the same but my manual shows the fig 225 not 244. I didn't understand the reference to the hook either, if you look into the housing (A small mirror is useful) you will just about see a square black moulding sitting on top of the 3 contacts, this is the part you need to carefully lift up on one side, this moulding traps said contacts in place, once it is lifted up it releases the contacts enough to allow the bulb holder (The moulding with the orange part) to be rotated to the right thereby allowing the holder and bulb to be withdrawn from its bayonet fitting in the rear of the headlight itself.

The above standing in front of the car looking to the rear, the only tricky bit is lifting the moulding, its high up in the headlight and not much room for fingers, I used a flat ended screwdriver to gently lever the right side of the clip up about 4mm which was enough to allow the contacts on the connector to be rotated. Hope this makes sense!!! THe moulding is NOT removed from the headlight, you just need to put the bulb & Holder back in place, rotate to the left and push the moulding back down to lock it all in place.

Whoops, sorry you're absolutely right. I got a bit muddled with the headlight units.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Its the same but my manual shows the fig 225 not 244. I didn't understand the reference to the hook either, if you look into the housing (A small mirror is useful) you will just about see a square black moulding sitting on top of the 3 contacts, this is the part you need to carefully lift up on one side, this moulding traps said contacts in place, once it is lifted up it releases the contacts enough to allow the bulb holder (The moulding with the orange part) to be rotated to the right thereby allowing the holder and bulb to be withdrawn from its bayonet fitting in the rear of the headlight itself.

The above standing in front of the car looking to the rear, the only tricky bit is lifting the moulding, its high up in the headlight and not much room for fingers, I used a flat ended screwdriver to gently lever the right side of the clip up about 4mm which was enough to allow the contacts on the connector to be rotated. Hope this makes sense!!! THe moulding is NOT removed from the headlight, you just need to put the bulb & Holder back in place, rotate to the left and push the moulding back down to lock it all in place.

Think there's probably been a bit of confusion, but I want to change the H7 dipped beam (image 244) and not the main beam H15 bulb which has the three prongs. I've changed the bulbs and seemed fine, but I'm worried about the light pattern. Difficult to see in attached photo but doesn't look right.

I've probably derailed the thread about the bulbs enough so I'll leave it at that!

post-136726-0-65628800-1452989294_thumb.jpg

post-136726-0-18862000-1452989687_thumb.jpeg

Hi Ash

I had a similar problem when I changed mine, its best to check against a wall then its really clear if the alignment is wrong as the beam pattern is all blurred. its only that you haven't got the bulbs seated quite right so id suggest starting again sorry. they are quite awkward to get right but once you have them in correctly its painfully obvious from the beam patterns and how the main and dip line up

cheers

john

• Like 1

Whoops, I got a bit muddled as well, thought you were referring to the 'Hook' on the H15. Sorry, looks like you got it sorted anyway  :clap:

OKAY, those that have upgraded their H7 and H15's (I've gone for Philips White Vision H7 and Osram Cool Blue Intense H15) will the 'Light Assist' system still function? I've had the car 10 months and so far have not seen it function so may not be that important anyway!

Just don't want to blind someone while expecting to work :notme:

And okay for the plastic lenses I assume?

Edited by ajw1100

I have H7 Nightbreaker unlimited and H15 Osram cool blue intense and light assist works fine. just fitted the new H15's and they are much better than the stock lamps although not quite as white as the Nightbreakers.

I have H7 Nightbreaker unlimited and H15 Osram cool blue intense and light assist works fine. just fitted the new H15's and they are much better than the stock lamps although not quite as white as the Nightbreakers.

+1

exactly what i have

what i  did notice, one of the nightbreakers blew last week and the beam assist was much quicker in bringing the high beam up

+1

exactly what i have

what i did notice, one of the nightbreakers blew last week and the beam assist was much quicker in bringing the high beam up

That's maybe due to the fact that the nightbreakers emit more light and the calibration for the beam assist is not set to that brightness?

Thanks for the replies, puts my mind at rest. Had sudden thoughts of messed up Light Assist and melted covers! I updated some bulbs in a previous Peugeot and both glass lenses cracked, proved a rather expensive upgrade then more expensive downgrade!!