vRS ESC, TCS, EDL, XDS, DSR & ASR - WTF?

I've been trying to understand what the various Driver Assist features on the vRS do from the handbook and I've found the descriptions to be pretty confusing. I've figured out that a short press on the "Skiddy Button" turns one thing off and a longer press turns something else off, even though the manual says both ESC and TCR are controlled by the exact same button press, which is of course impossible.

Can someone explain what gets turned off by the short press and what gets turned off by the long press? And are some features always on, e.g. EDL? And what's the difference between EDL and XDS? And how does DSR make it's "steering recommendations"? A warning on the maxidot? Steering wheel feedback? A shouty voice? A cattle prod coming up through the seat cushion?

Thank you :-)

Edited by vrsalan

Pressing it once turns the traction control off, holding it down for a few seconds puts the ESP into sport mode. Simple.

Thanks. What's the practical difference in the handling of the car between the two? The first time what I assume was TCS kicked in was going round a steep uphill hairpin where the tarmac on the inside was rutted up, Having the car more or less bunny-hop around the corner wasn't really all that helpful.

What about all the other gubbins such as EDL and DSR? Are they always on?

My take on this:

The manual isn't that clear on long press, short press, however the Neily03 comment clears that up I think. Would have been good in the manual for it to just say Long less = and short press = (though you could potentially imply it as it does say one is a short press). Anyways.

So to the other question - practical difference is I think that one (just Traction Control off) will still have the auto braking of individual wheels available to you to (attempt to) keep the car pointing the way you want it (ESC).

So with traction control off, you'll now be able to spin wheels much easier on say and big uphill that's wet maybe or such like.

With both off it's simply not going to stop you spinning you wheels and it's all not going to try and individually brake wheels to keep you in the direction of travel.

My reading is you cannot switch the ESC off without also switching off traction control though.  So it's all on, no traction control, or no traction control and no braking of wheels (ESC)

DSR will beep at you and display a message on the screen if it thinks you need a break. You can switch it off via Infotainment

EDL + XDS are just 'On' I think - something that's even more impressive on a Quattro or equivalent Subaru cos you get the rear wheels working to help you corner aswell, but hey, handy on the Vrs too :-) IMO. 

Neily03 - Sport Mode means it is switched off (I think).  Sport Mode is Skoda's fancy way of saying

"go for it, if you wanna drive like folks used to without having us(Skoda) intervene and brake wheels when you don't want us too, then press this button"

In other words - no automatic intervention - so that's why I refer to it is 'Off' (which is the same as Sport Mode)

Unless I've got the whole thing wrong, but many other cars have been this way for a long time ... though you just usually switched the whole lot On or Off, not partially On or partially Off like you can do here with Traction Control and ESC where you can have one or the other.

e.g. if you wanted to go more sideways whenever you want for a laugh on the track in a Nissan 350Z, you switched it off(i.e. drove in Sport Mode), apply light brake on a corner and off you go.  The various 'gizmos' would stop you going sideways before you could blink.

• Like 1

So to the other question - practical difference is I think that one (just Traction Control off) will still have the auto braking of individual wheels available to you to (attempt to) keep the car pointing the way you want it (ESC).

So with traction control off, you'll now be able to spin wheels much easier on say and big uphill that's wet maybe or such like.

With both off it's simply not going to stop you spinning you wheels and it's all not going to try and individually brake wheels to keep you in the direction of travel.

My reading is you cannot switch the ESC off without also switching off traction control though.  So it's all on, no traction control, or no traction control and no braking of wheels (ESC)

OK, makes sense.

DSR will beep at you and display a message on the screen if it thinks you need a break. You can switch it off via Infotainment

I think that's something else, Fatigue detection. I've done some digging and it appears DSR actually moves the steering wheel, not sure I like the sound of that. It appears that you can change several of these features with VCDS but fiddling with safety-related systems is outside my comfort zone.

EDL + XDS are just 'On' I think - something that's even more impressive on a Quattro or equivalent Subaru cos you get the rear wheels working to help you corner aswell, but hey, handy on the Vrs too :-) IMO.

Thanks

I agree, I will never post instructions on how to disable or bypass the various safety systems. If I did and someone went and had a massive off (or worse, injured themselves or someone else) because they had disabled a safety feature ........................................

• Like 1

Neily03 - Sport Mode means it is switched off (I think).  Sport Mode is Skoda's fancy way of saying

"go for it, if you wanna drive like folks used to without having us(Skoda) intervene and brake wheels when you don't want us too, then press this button"

In other words - no automatic intervention - so that's why I refer to it is 'Off' (which is the same as Sport Mode)

Unless I've got the whole thing wrong, but many other cars have been this way for a long time ... though you just usually switched the whole lot On or Off, not partially On or partially Off like you can do here with Traction Control and ESC where you can have one or the other.

e.g. if you wanted to go more sideways whenever you want for a laugh on the track in a Nissan 350Z, you switched it off(i.e. drove in Sport Mode), apply light brake on a corner and off you go.  The various 'gizmos' would stop you going sideways before you could blink.

No, unfortunatly it is not off in the sport mode. yes it allows you a bit more freedom but it cuts you much if there is too much freedom:) Would have been nice if the long press would completely disable it.

No, unfortunatly it is not off in the sport mode. yes it allows you a bit more freedom but it cuts you much if there is too much freedom:) Would have been nice if the long press would completely disable it.

Do you mean would have been nice in a theoretical "it's my car, I can set it up the way I want" way, or because there is actually a tangible benefit from doing so?

Edited by Juniperz

Do you mean would have been nice in a theoretical "it's my car, I can set it up the way I want" way, or because there is actually a tangible benefit from doing so?

well i take my car to a track few times each summer and it would have been nice to have a possibility to turn it off completely and try to tame it without a nanny:) i had renaultsport megane and after an easy hack it was possible to completely remove esp, man it was so much fun after that, really made you consentrate on a track.

• Like 1

KiDr, on 27 Sept 2014 - 11:22, said:

well i take my car to a track few times each summer and it would have been nice to have a possibility to turn it off completely and try to tame it without a nanny:) i had renaultsport megane and after an easy hack it was possible to completely remove esp, man it was so much fun after that, really made you consentrate on a track.

Is this sort of thing not going to completely void any insurance you might have... and as Andy says also make you liable for any resulting accident....  manslaughter or death by dangerous driving spring to mind???

I think that's something else, Fatigue detection. I've done some digging and it appears DSR actually moves the steering wheel, not sure I like the sound of that.

DSR from my days with a Leon was "Dynamic Steering Response". Basically designed to nudge the steering in an effort to encourage the driver to react correctively if they are in a slide. Either that or it's become another TLA.

Is this sort of thing not going to completely void any insurance you might have... and as Andy says also make you liable for any resulting accident....  manslaughter or death by dangerous driving spring to mind???

I do not know, i just did that hack on megan and we have a bit different rules in Finland, we are allowed to run people over for fun:) 

But in my humble opinion it makes sense to make ESP completely switchable on vrs. I think in ST it can be completely disabled, do you think people hop into it every morning and go on a killing rampage:)

• Like 1