Was thinking about buying a yeti but......

O.C.D.

Sorry man I didn't realise that you had owned and drove a kia and discovered these so called problems for yourself

I've never owned one, as I have already said, but I did some thorough research and test drove 2 recently.

Not on my list as a Yeti replacement.

As far as dealers sorting out warranty claims, it's fair to say that all dealers work in the same way, in so far as they have to ensure that any work they do under warranty is going to be approved and therefore paid by the manufacturer. Kia dealers will do that, just as much as Skoda dealers.

I would also suggest that the reason VAG don't offer more than 3 years is that they don't have to. They sell many more cars over here than Kia, Hyundai, etc. and so why offer more than the consumer wants. When, or if, Kia, etc., start selling more cars than VAG and consumer research says it's down to warranties, then VAG will offer something similar or better.

My 4.33 year old Octavia vRS has had one warranty issue since new and that related to a piece of external trim that was resolved when it was 3 months old. Personally I don't think that's bad and suggests build quality that is every bit as good, if not better, than anything coming from the far east.

• Like 1

By over here, do you mean Skodas built in Europe & sold in the UK.?

Like 66,000 last Year First Registered in the UK,

of which 32,000 were Fabia.

I must look and see how many Hyundai / Kia sold in the UK in 2013.

Many built in the EU Factories.

Czech Republic & Slovakia.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-21686822

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Motor_Company

EDIT,

In the UK in 2012, sales were 74,000 Kia & 66,000 Hyundai

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

I've never owned one, as I have already said, but I did some thorough research and test drove 2 recently.

Not on my list as a Yeti replacement.

Ahhhh...right.!

For what it is i'm sure the yeti is a good car just looking it's age now and just like some newer Skodas out there it looks like the R+D and styling dept at Skoda just don't care.

I suppose they know there are some Skoda customers out there that wear blinkers when it comes to buying cars and will stay with Skoda regardless what it looks like and would self combust into flames if they entered into a competitor's car showroom. 

• Like 1

Some on Briskoda should do a Google or Key Word Search.

Just for threads on Briskoda.

'pulling to the left'

'Engine Failure',     might be a good start.

Biggest Selling Skoda in the UK is the Fabia,

Of the 40% or so Skodas sold each year in the UK up to now,  and a new model being Launched right now,

there are only around 3,000 Mk2 Vrs & 5,000 Monte Carlos Registered in the UK.

& a small proportion of them had 'Pulling to the Left' issues,

Did Skoda treat it or the Customers seriously.

No way, people had to sell and get shot of cars because of Issues not being resolved.

1,800 1.4 TSI Twinchargers and around 20 % engines failed or failing 2010-2012. and on.

Now some of the New Engines from 2012 on now Failing.

Skoda never yet have said a thing publicly about this,

Just replace Engines and say nothing, Just Wear & Tear.

The Volkswagen Group learn Slowly.

Government Force them to Act, Other World Region Governments and Customers.

EU Governments let them get away without Recalls and answering for the losses to Paying Customers.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

They build many good cars, they never admit to building Lemons though.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

It's interesting that finding out how many warranty claims each manufacturer has is not easy (if at all possible) suggesting that they don't wish to have this information in the public domain.

Whilst Kia, Hyundai, etc. offer more than 3 years warranty, that might hide a higher than average number of claims. By covering issues beyond the usual three years, these manufacturers might avoid owner (public) dissatisfaction with reliability. It's also pretty obvious that they see length of warranty as a USB among a fair size of the buying public that see cars as simply a device to transport them from a to z. That isn't to say that ALL buyers of these cars aren't interested in cars, but that they choose length of warranty above all else when making buying decisions.

Personally, the length of warranty would not unduly influence my buying decision unless everything else is equal (quality, looks, price, equipment, image, etc., etc.).

Actually it is not an Internet Myth, it is True,  ***Volkswagen Hide Warranty Claims.***   Admit to Nothing.

'If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen'  (Golf) Great Advertising Campaign.  But Rubbish.

Like their Secret 'Service Campaigns'.

Vorsprung Durch Technik. 

Another good campaign,  but just that, duff gen.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Yes rather like lots of them,

But Volkswagen are being found out now, it is just that EU Governments will let it go.

They are pulled up like BMW were in the US, and in Australia.

Hyundai / Kia in North America & Canada on Fuel Consumption Claims & Figures.

Actually it is not an Internet Myth, it is True,  ***Volkswagen Hide Warranty Claims.***   Admit to Nothing.

'If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen'  (Golf) Great Advertising Campaign.  But Rubbish.

Like their Secret 'Service Campaigns'.

Vorsprung Durch Technik. 

Another good campaign,  but just that, duff gen.

And?

So do many other manufacturers.

So what?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I shall be looking at replacing my Yeti in the next year, and I have certain criteria for that replacement:

Size

Visibility out

Fuel consumption

Safety

Towing capacity

Off Road capability

"Satisfaction" (the smile factor)

I really don't care what the outside looks like, or what the next-door neighbour thinks about it, or what anyone else, other than the wife, thinks. Looks are not important.

Just as when I bought my first Yeti, I've looked at and will probably look again at various vehicles:

Yeti

Sportage

Pug 2008

Freelander

Kuga

Mokka

Some have got things going for them, some haven't:

The Sportage has dire visibility out of the back and reported problems with rear suspension and poor fuel consumption by owners. Slightly too big. Drove a petrol and a diesel.

The Pug doesn't have 4x4 but does have space and good visibility. Size about right. Diesel driven

The Freelander is excellent off-road, excellent visibility, great towing capacity but fuel consumption isn't brilliant. Bit too big.

The Kuga was horrible, can't see out, poor towing, poor fuel, just poor. Didn't bother with a test drive.

The Mokka was a bit better than the Kuga but still not brilliant in any field. Poor fuel consumption. Diesel driven.

I did look at the new Discovery Sport the other week at the Emergency Services Show, and it is very nice, but too big and too expensive.

Which leads me back to the Yeti, and mine has done over 80k miles in 4 years with one very minor warranty matter, and does everything I need of it. So unless something super comes out between now and then, I will be buying another Yeti. 

Don't think I can be accused of being blind to the competition.

But none of that actually proves that Kia/Hyundai are actually any more reliable than a Volkswagen. As VW/Audi are such a big manufacturer (second only to Toyota), problems with their cars are always going to affect more people and therefore attract more media attention.

There are many people who would only, say, buy a TV if it is covered by a 5 year warranty, rather than buy a make that has a reputation for reliability, for the sake of peace of mind. I guess it's the same for cars. Kia/Hyundai buyers want the the peace of mind irrespective of the reliability - this is what the manufacturers are selling.

2014 JD Powers owners survey has six VAG cars in top ten. Kia Sportage 11th place, Hyundai iX35 23rd place, Skoda Yeti 3rd. So maybe Skoda/VW doesn't need an extended warranty?

My 1999 Octavia SLX Tdi was covered for 3yrs unlimited miles at new. Plus 3yrs AA cover too.

That was a solid car. Far more solid than cars built now.

I dont think anyone did try to say they are more reliable.

I will say though, they are by the numbers sold, More Reliable than VWG Vehicles sold in the UK.

What happened in this thread was a Yeti fanboy started on about Dampers & towing, protecting the honour of the Skoda Brand possibly,

when we know Yetis had similar issues.

Then the Pulling to the left was raised,

which is quite a big issue with some Skoda, Seat, VW & Audi owners.

• Like 1

I will say though, they are by the numbers sold, More Reliable than VWG Vehicles sold in the UK.

But how do you prove that? What evidence is there to support your theory?

If anything the evidence points the other way.

Evidence no, experience of Kia and Skoda Workshops yes.

Family and friends in the Dealership workshops still.

But O.C.D has ordered his KIA,  so all the best to him.

He had a beautiful Skoda and his job means he meets lots of various owners of Vehicles, so i imagine he knows what he is doing.

& he is too young to give up on life and buy a Yeti.

• Like 2

I dont think anyone did try to say they are more reliable.

What happened in this thread was a Yeti fanboy started on about Dampers & towing, protecting the honour of the Skoda Brand possibly,

when we know Yetis had similar issues.

Then the Pulling to the left was raised,

which is quite a big issue with some Skoda, Seat, VW & Audi owners.

George,

What has the numbers sold got to do with reliability? I doubt that most buyers in this country ever look at it.

And as usual, you have to get your personal dig in, don't you? Change the record, it's getting boring.

If you look on several of the caravanning forums you will find owners complaining about the rear suspension of Sportages. All I did was report what is freely available out there. 

Evidence no, experience of Kia and Skoda Workshops yes.

Family and friends in the Dealership workshops still.

But O.C.D has ordered his KIA,  so all the best to him.

He had a beautiful Skoda and his job means he meets lots of various owners of Vehicles, so i imagine he knows what he is doing.

& he is too young to give up on life and buy a Yeti.

Interestingly our local Kia dealer is also the Skoda dealer and Nissan, Mazda and Ford

That is Interesting.

Maybe try to ask the Service Managers or Service desk if any of the brands have more claims than others.

Mazda / Ford, same difference.  Nissan i would expect more reliable with less Warranty Actions required than Skoda.

Graham,  What Numbers do you talk of.

Where trundlenut spoke of More over here, when there are not,

Or the low sales of Skoda in the UK being a Low Volume Seller, 

but even with low sales numbers of vehicles they have high numbers of Warranty Claims and actions to take.

They do well in Customer Surveys of those that respond, or did,

but those high top 6 results are dropping now, as Customer Service declines and Faults rise as mileage goes on vehicles since Euro 5 Emissions were introduced, 2009.

That is Interesting.

Maybe try to ask the Service Managers or Service desk if any of the brands have more claims than others.

Mazda / Ford, same difference.  Nissan i would expect more reliable with less Warranty Actions required than Skoda.

Sadly as a group they have a pretty dismal reputation and I don't intend going anywhere near them.  Shame really as the Skoda dealership was pretty good a few years ago, very helpful staff.

Firstly let me say that my 2011 Skoda fabia was one of the best cars i ever had, it was full of personality( if you know what i mean) and the 1.2 tsi engine was super. I was looking a change to something a bit bigger so started to look at all the possibilities, oddly enough my local Skoda dealer also deals in Kia ,just Skoda and kia anyway with both cars sitting close together in the showroom on looks alone the Kia had it.

If the look of the yeti does not concern you then thats the car for you but at my age i like to feel good in a new car and people to admire it, if that is me being vain well im guilty. Ok there might be some old codgers out there crying about the kia and there caravans but that doesn't concern me at the minute but when i retire i might buy a caravan just to go out on the road and annoy other road users.

Today is the day i collect my new Kia sport 1.7 crdi ( my 27th car BTW)    ...Averaging 54 mpg i've been informed and if that is bad fuel consumption for a vehicle of this size then i'm confused.   

• Like 1

Yes rather like lots of them,

But Volkswagen are being found out now, it is just that EU Governments will let it go.

They are pulled up like BMW were in the US, and in Australia.

Hyundai / Kia in North America & Canada on Fuel Consumption Claims & Figures.

Can you stop saying that VW were pulled up by the Au gov't. That is totally wrong. The Australian Competition & Consumer Tribunal were very good at waving their big stick but ultimately did nothing.

What did happen was that there was a fatality & an inquest. Our really crap journalists trawled the internet looking for issues & siad it was a DSg fault even though the car was a manual; they said it was a diesel injector loom fault even though the car was a petrol. Basically, everyone that had been fobbed off by VW for various known faults (including the 1.4 crap-charger engine self-destructing due to poor tuning) came out of the woodwork & customer traffic on VW forecourts dried up. Finally VW did a DSG recall to match Singapore & China and threw a few other scraps at customers to shut them up (extended warranty for a short period) until it all blew over.

Personally, I think VW should step up to the plate & offer a full 5 year warranty. The Kia offering in Australia has just gone 7 years UNLIMITED kilometres (and we average more than the UK) with 7 years roadside assist (if you use the dealer once per year for service) and 7 year capped 15k/12m servicing. I think that shows a lot of faith in the product.

We've had Hyundai (24yrs / 1 million+ sales) & Kia (10 years / 120,000 sales) in AU a lot longer than the UK (maybe not?). They were real puss-boxes back in the day but they just keep getting better & better.

Are they better than VW group cars? I think it depends on your priorities & needs.

• Like 1

Sorry for my Duff Gen, but by all accounts received here, the actions by agencies in Australia made VW Assume the position,

change tack, own up to customer and agencies, 

which is more than happens in the EU / UK.

http://abc.net.au/news/2013-06-06/volkswagen-recall-powers/4737772

http://drive.com.au/motor-news/volkswagen-we=need-to-do-better-20131003-2utkm.html

In New Zealand they did it right,

they maybe call it a Service Campaign and not a Recall,

But they tell the Owners what is what and use their Websites.

Skoda, Seat. VW. Audi could easily do the same in the UK.  Tell publicly of Service Campaigns,

rather than running Secret Service Campaigns where many Registered Keepers & Owners never 

hear of Faults in their vehicles unless Online of Using Franchised Dealerships.

Sometimes not even then.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

My 1999 Octavia SLX Tdi was covered for 3yrs unlimited miles at new. Plus 3yrs AA cover too.

That was a solid car. Far more solid than cars built now.

Loskie I had similar octy estate 1.9 TDI glxi and. Was a fantastic car best I've ever owned hands down and still running with over 200k on the clock