Embarrassing Number Plate - New Vehicle

GreyBear

I'd been told that when dealers register new vehicles they have a choice of about 4 or 5 number plates. With this in mind, I thought to myself this morning, I should contact the dealer and politely request that they not choose anything that would draw too much attention to itself. Then I thought, no, you're being silly - calm down, just accept whatever comes.

OMG! I should hang rung them :swear:

I can't believe it. I was sent my number plate today via email from my dealer [it couldn't be more embarrassing] - they asked that I call the 7 days free insurance people tomorrow morning, and that once I'd done this they can COMPLETE the registration process.

Should I contact my dealer first? Can this registration plate be changed? Is it too late? My first brand new car [EVER] and i get a number plate that couldn't be more 'colourful' :'(

A workmate ordered a brand new car and the dealer thought the allocated plate was embarrasing and offered to change it. Buddy kept the distinctive plate so he could find his car more easily in car parks. It was an Astra though and there are thousands about.

The point is, the plate can be changed.

Edited by camelspyyder

A workmate ordered a brand new car and the dealer thought the allocated plate was embarrasing and offered to change it. Buddy kept the distinctive plate so he could find his car more easily in car parks. It was an Astra though and there are thousands about.

And the plate was...

I had a choice of what theyhad allocated to them when I ordered mine. If it's that off putting give them a ring to see if they will change it. If not you could get a new plate off the dvla - you should be able to get a 'normal' one quite cheap and get the dealer to cough up for the cost.

I had a choice of what theyhad allocated to them when I ordered mine. If it's that off putting give them a ring to see if they will change it. If not you could get a new plate off the dvla - you should be able to get a 'normal' one quite cheap and get the dealer to cough up for the cost.

I won't spell it out in black and white, but it may as well of read 'bl*w j*b' and 'g*y b*y'. I've nothing against minority groups, but the dealer could have chosen something a little less 'flamboyant'.

Edited by GreyBear
  • Like 2

I'd guess it's too late, but may call them in the morning. If it is too late, I'd doubt the dealer would cough up any money to change it.

So what is it? You can't attract this much attention and not share.

I won't spell it out in black and white, but it may as well of read 'bl*w j*b' and 'g*y b*y'. I've nothing against minority groups, but the dealer could have chosen something a little less 'flamboyant'.

Edited by GreyBear

that's a few too many letters for a reg plate.

we're all still trying to work out what it could have been.

the DVLA already remove any which are potentially offensive (allegedly)

perhaps those with innocent minds wouldn't think there was anything wrong with it ?

Edinburgh have SN so in 08 there were loadsvof snobs about. I saw on a nice car at first so thought it was a private plate . Then saw liads. Funny I haven't seen snog (09) yet .

Back in the day, the DVLA actually blocked the use of the SN07 plates from Edinburgh, because it looked too much like "snot". Instead, they issued TN07.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6897494.stm

I can only assume that there will, similarly, be a whole load of TH17 plates in issue from Glasgow come March 2017.

**64 YBJ ?

Back in the day, the DVLA actually blocked the use of the SN07 plates from Edinburgh, because it looked too much like "snot". Instead, they issued TN07.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6897494.stm

I can only assume that there will, similarly, be a whole load of TH17 plates in issue from Glasgow come March 2017.

I thought the problem was that everyone wanted SC07 * * * and they ran out?

I went down to our dealer and asked to see their book of pre allocated numbers. I had the choice of around 40 numbers. In the end I chose ARO as in Arrow from the Skoda badge.

• Like 1

The number plate was BJ64 GBY. I showed it to 8 or 9 people at work this morning. All of them translated the number plate as bl*w j*b 64 g*y boy.

I say the number plate was - I called the dealership this morning. They changed without issue, thankfully, to something with less connotations  :clap: 

• Like 3