£1 per litre

James I

ASDA Diesel 15.34 litres @ 195.7 pence a litre = £30.02.  (3.4 gallon) 

Brimmed.

The thing is that is in my van that only gets taken out to maybe do 4-5 miles a couple of times a week.

So that was 40 miles done since the last time brimmed.

Not even 12 mpg which is less then half what it gets winter time as long as it gets driven a bit further and it can get even towing a car or a trailer.

DSCN1544.JPG

That 195.7 seems to be standard Asda price. Problem is that most pay at pump places tie up £100 for a few days and for me that's too much,as is the "cartel price " locally. ( I say cartel suspecting ,without proof that the other garages are either willingly or unwillingly keeping their prices the same ), with one particular mainstream brand appearing to shy away from breaking the £2 a litre. The prices have edged up a few pence in front of Asda and have now come down to 198.9 for derv.

We don't have a local sainsbury fuel place locally, but a few mile away there's one. Bonus for Furby is a blast down the A5 . Bonus for Smbo is a store with choices . Asda & Sainsbury are in sight of each other so prices remain constant and SWMBO gets her Nectar points on fuel. ( Sometimes even double points ) .

• Like 1

Aberdeen ,at one time called the second largest herring port in Scotland. 😀

I'd suggest £2 is a physically barrier as £1.99 to customers is far less mentally than £2.01. I'd suggest that places like Broadford ( Skye) might start selling more fuel with the 5p island discount.

Edited by VWD

• 8 months later...

Preempting any rise in fuel prices, and the filling station tanks just had a delivery of non winter spec Derv. 

(Oil prices rises might take a while to affect the pumps, so no need to panic buy Toilet Rolls.)

Just filled up with Diesel for the first time in ages as i had a filled up tank in the coldest weather and just been doing a few miles from cold starts a few times a week.

Works out i have been getting 14 mpg rather than the usual 26 mpg or so on runs.

159.7 pence a litre @ ASDA, 

and Unleaded is 142.7 pence a litre.

I was thinking on going to a PHEV when i put back my Electric Car but i think i will stick with Electric and eventually get one that can have a tow bar for trailer towing or bike racks going on. 

• 1 month later...

In the 'What annoyed you today thread.' 

I posted at me annoying me while going to Gulf to save 1 pence a litre over the greedy Asda just along the road.

10 pence a litre more at Asda Forfar than up in Asda Aberdeen and elsewhere.

I filled up with Super Diesel in error when normally i will only use regular Derv. (me not paying attention to the clearly marked pump.)

Well it is worth the 11 pence a litre over their regular diesel. (50 pence a gallon extra.)

I am no longer 'rolling coal' or when firing up or idling smelling like a TDI doing a regen or sitting at an airport with fuel dropping from the sky.

I will see if any better economy when i do a fill up next time but that hardly matters as it is just nice not to be blowing out black reek. 

DSCN2742.JPG.bdc9c67e7ef5b3c6a9e29866f08a0e19.jpeg

DSCN2741.JPG.fc90a4d83380a7d1d5c1e4ad20bf4048.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, diesel is back to about €1.45/l average again here. from a high of around €2.20 at one point last year.

@toot, i also have a fuel card for myself, though with CircleK. formerly Topaz, formerly Statoil and Shell who both left the market years ago.

currently im getting 4c a litre off, though cheaper diesel is available i just seem to have a happier more efficient engine on the CircleK. i also dont trust cheap diesel 

Still €1.70 (might have been €1.60) here in France.

5 hours ago, mac11irl said:

well, diesel is back to about €1.45/l average again here. from a high of around €2.20 at one point last year.

@toot, i also have a fuel card for myself, though with CircleK. formerly Topaz, formerly Statoil and Shell who both left the market years ago.

currently im getting 4c a litre off, though cheaper diesel is available i just seem to have a happier more efficient engine on the CircleK. i also dont trust cheap diesel 

Wonder how much cross border shopping from the six counties of NI in to the 26 counties of Eire is happening ?  Loads if the price difference is 10% or more I would be guessing.

Prices of diesel in NI seem lower than here currently ie more like £1.40 where it is more like £1.50 plus in my pat of the midlands.

https://www.consumercouncil.org.uk/fuelpricechecker/tool

Odd since VAT is higher in Eire at 23% when it is only 20% UK and NI.  The 5p reduction in UK Excise duty remains in place I think but this is far less than many European countries did.

Truck fuel is major part of delivery of goods cost but then many delivery companies are transitioning to electric vehicles ie DPD etc.

I have a fuel card, a company one, so company pays the cost of the fuel, which is less than the price shown at the pumps I gather and then they take 40% of the value of that fuel as a taxable benefit through payroll so with petrol at £1.43 for 95 octane and £1.50 for 99 Octane I am effectively paying a bit less than 60p a litre for fuel or zero if I use the EV and charge at Heathrow for nothing, touch choice as have to drive slower in the EV to ensure I have enough range to get back tom home after slow but free charging in London.  

Many drivers get benefits for their car usage ie fuel and purchasing and commerical organisations reclaim the VAT true price of fuel is oft 5/6 ths of so, or less, of published price. 

• 2 weeks later...

Elephant in the room is that ASDA has been taking the pith with the retail price of fuel on their forecourts.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-65720635

There was only one Competition Commission which seemed wrong.... now only one Competition and Markets Authority. So they have the Monopoly on what gets looked into.

This will certainly need looking into.   Just like the over charging for fuels. 

EG had to get rid of Filling stations when they bought ASDA Group Limited.   That was the Issa brothers TDR Capital owners of EG.

http://insidermedia.com/news/national/eg-group-completes-sale-of-27-petrol-stations

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/05/2023 at 14:11, toot said:

Elephant in the room is that ASDA has been taking the pith with the retail price of fuel on their forecourts.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-65720635

There was only one Competition Commission which seemed wrong.... now only one Competition and Markets Authority. So they have the Monopoly on what gets looked into.

This will certainly need looking into.   Just like the over charging for fuels.

Damn well time that garage forecourts and supermarkets brought down the prices of petrol and diesel. Yes, much of the cost to the motorist is tax, but:

1. Brent oil is down to about $73.

2. The cost of kerosene for domestic central heating (Boilerjuice) is down to 56 - 58 p/litre, from about 110 p/l a year ago and the crazy peak of over 150 p/l in March 2022.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Rooted said:

Asda & Gulf E10 Unleaded 136.7 pence a litre.

114p plus VAT.

Stock up now as with Suez no go expect big hike in price over coming weeks.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

2 hours ago, lol-lol said:

114p plus VAT.

Stock up now as with Suez no go expect big hike in price over coming weeks.

Aye. Brent and Murban crude both up over 1% but oddly WTI a slight drop. Natural gas also up almost 0.75%

No idea what that'll translate to at the pumps mind. You?  

Current diesel price here about £137/l when converted. I don't look at petrol prices as all three of ours are diesels. 

£137 per hectolitre.

I like hectolitre even though non SI.    Système International.

Cubic metres is the SI unit really and perhaps we really should be buying fuel by weight, though that varies depending where one is one Earth ie what latitude

"In combination, the equatorial bulge and the effects of the surface centrifugal force due to rotation mean that sea-level gravity increases from about 9.780 m/s2 at the Equator to about 9.832 m/s2 at the poles, so an object will weigh approximately 0.5% more at the poles than at the Equator."

Cheaper to fuel up in the morning as it is colder as more dense ? 

Don't think so as a big volume of fuel in the storage tank will have huge thermal mass and not temperature vary much through the day. 

Cost at the pumps mainly tax ie combination of Excise tax and Umsatzsteuer, TVA, VAT, GST.   VAT on the excise duty, tax on tax.  52.95p per litre, with the 5p reduction hangover from the Covid era.

I am very lucky to have my fuel card so fuel is effectively 28p a litre for work and private usage.  HM Treasury mileage rate STILL only 45p per mile for first 10K and measly 25p over 10K until April 6th new tax year reset, Grrr.  Use to get 63p per mile back in the early 90s for our cars with engine CC over 2 litres.  Happy days. Then the 3.5L Rover SD1 only did 19 mpg on a good day.

Edited by lol-lol

4 hours ago, Rooted said:

@lol-lol  Actually 136.7 pence a litre for hard working or lazy barstewrds that buy their own petrol and are not getting it paid for by employers that get 20% VAT back.

and the fuel is nothing like 114 plus 20% VAT as i am sure you know, that vat is on the cost of the fuel and the duty, 

The VAT is one area that some employers managed to pay less by declaring less private miles and fiddling over the business miles I believe is quite common practice.

No one should be paying the full retail prices as everyone should be using credit/debit cards that give kick backs as we well as enjoying the the reward card benefits whether it is TESCOs points or a similar scheme with other fuel providers as well as the up to 56 days delayed payments which can live money in an account where it is earning interest.

On top of the above it is reckoned that about half of cars have below the right inflation pressures and also the way many drive is clearly not economically.  Most seem to drive at around the speed limit.  Driving at 80 to 90% of the speed limit can save a third of the fuel, it is a cube relationship between velocity and energy consumption.

Whether the fuel I burn when driving for work, or on private miles, I drive with economy in mind as oil is a finite resource and one that seriously damages planet Earth.  I take my electric car when I can to Heathrow or Manchester, even though it will be using electricity from my house account rather than my company fuel card as it is the better thing to do.  My company is going to have less profit if I drive a gas guzzling 4x4 for the tens of thousands of business miles I do and therefore make the company less able to pay the thousands out in bonuses.  

Fuel cards are not just a perk but time efficient so those employees spend less time on completing expenses claims and more time on fee earning work. If ones charge out rate is £20 for 6 minutes it is a case of economics.  

One pays income tax on both the car allowance and the BIK of the fuel so government coffers benefit from that taxation.   Fuel cards pay a lower fuel cost rate than the one seem at the pump price.  11th Commandment - Never pay retail.   

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

That was Asda / Gulf in a Scottish town.   What is this 'Half Term' we often hear of, a Southern thing when people go abroad for Winter Sports? 

Red sea.  Money Market.  Oil price rises, refinery shut downs globally for maintenance. 

Huge profits for the Cartels and Cabals and Oil & Gas companies not the retailers. 

Edited by Rooted

Half term = School holidays

Usually every 6-8 weeks during the full term.

Christmas to easter, easter to summer and summer to Christmas are full terms.

Fuel prices tend to rise just before them and Bank holidays.

• Haha 1

I understand holidays.  I just sometimes get a smile at terms used in English. 

The BBC. British Broadcasting Co-operating within England.

Global Prices and the overpricing of Diesel over Petrol in UK Retailers is the Distributors / Whole sellers taking the pith.

The Diesel price does affect the UK economy, but then as far as hauliers go, the price to Private customers is not necessarily what it costs them. 

• Like 1