£1 per litre

James I

Glad I amuse.

I benchmark my financials on their performance and my selection of International Bonds certainly seems to have paid off in the last few weeks.  I have seen the fund climb by thousands over the past few weeks based on these choices which is pleasing, you think it is luck maybe.  How has your pension fund done over the past few weeks, please do share your insight and expertise.

As to the Financial state of the EU I just cannot see your logic when I was sailing the Med last summer I was getting 1.4 Euros to the pound and now getting 1.2, please explain your logic as to the gauge. GDP versus national debt is no worse in the EU to the UK's £1.7T national debt compared to its sub £2T GDP?  Got its problems ie Italian Banks but also has Germany in the fold.

We do share something you know.  I had a Mk 1 L&K 130 PD, best Skoda diesel I had, ten years ago but the memories are still very found.  

Live Long and Prosper.    

• 3 weeks later...

Petrol, and diesel, prices falling like a stone it is good to see.

Crude oil is officially in a Bear market after falling by 20% in the last few days.

Maybe see £1 a litre again?

Despite the big drop in the British pound the fall of oil to under $40 a barrel should feed through a few pence a litre off diesel/petrol.

Might the time to only get half or three quarters of a tank as the new one could be at least a couple pence a litre cheaper and therefore save a quid or two as well as have better MPG when carrying less weight. 

Petrol, and diesel, prices falling like a stone it is good to see.

Crude oil is officially in a Bear market after falling by 20% in the last few days.

LPG, on the other hand, is going up! It's now fully half the price of petrol, ffs.

LPG, on the other hand, is going up! It's now fully half the price of petrol, ffs.

Not sure what is happening to the global price of LPG.  Taxes are stable as below so not that..

Type of fuel Rate Petrol, diesel, biodiesel and bioethanol 57.95 pence per litre

Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) 31.61 pence per kg

Natural gas used as fuel in vehicles, eg biogas 24.70 pence per kg

‘Fuel oil’ burned in a furnace or used for heating 10.70 pence per litre

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

Got talking to someone at work today who's a keen cyclist and uses something called a train. Says that he as a commuter is being fleeced and forced to pay for a better service whilst the car drivers are not paying their way.  I disagreed. It didn't go well. I went away muttering about the ?100 fill up, which happens far too regularly. He went away saying it's only ?30 to tax a car and he'll have spent that on fares soon enough.

Discuss.

Car Tax != Journey Costs.

Does the bike pay road tax? No (Although wear is minimal, but what about all those cycleways)

Does the bike have to have insurance to be used on the road? No

I could go on, but you get the gist. The bike guy is going on a crusade as it's not as simple as he'd like to make out.

Super market price war underway....

https://www.petrolprices.com/supermarket-fuel-price-war-gets-underway/

As we predicted at the end of last week, a UK supermarket fuel price war has started. This will mean cheaper fuel for those prepared to shop around and use supermarket forecourts. It should hopefully place some downward pressure on prices at other petrol stations as well.  It was Morrisons who kicked things off this time, with a small price cut on diesel. The other chains quickly followed with cuts of their own.  Once a fuel price war is underway, things can move quickly with each of the chains responding to moves made by the others. However, so far the following has happened, according to a report in The Sun:

• Morrisons and Asda have both placed price caps on unleaded and diesel. The maximum per litre costs at these forecourts are currently 105.7 pence for unleaded and 106.7 pence for diesel.
  • Sainsbury’s and Tesco have both announced price cuts in the region of two pence per litre, but haven’t as yet committed to any price cap.
Fuel-price-war-1024x590.jpg Will the Fuel Price War Continue?

Based on past experiences, it’s fair to assume (or hope) that the moves above are merely the first battle in a new war. Supermarkets often use fuel as a “loss leader” to tempt the public to their stores for the weekly shop.

A common tactic is to introduce fuel offers linked to loyalty points schemes. These schemes are in place in all of the “big four” chains, excluding Asda. Therefore, it wouldn’t be a huge surprise to see a fuel offer linked to points in the coming days or weeks. There’s no guarantee, but with the crude oil price still around a three-month month low, there’s enough cause for optimism. As such, we hope that this is just the start of a new fuel price war.

The Value of Sterling

There is a parallel story here, which is that the current weakness of the Pound (in the wake of the Brexit vote) is serving to limit how low petrol and diesel can fall.

Sterling is down 15% since last year, as discussed in this Yahoo report. If the Pound hadn’t fallen, the AA suggest that fuel could be around four pence per litre cheaper than it is now. Based on the price cap discussed above, this would perhaps mean supermarkets starting to consider 99p per litre promotions.

Still, it’s perhaps better to look at this another way. If you look at our figures here, and compare average prices for June in historic years, you’ll see that this June’s average was the lowest in six years. Taking into account some of the scary possible situations we were presented with, that’s not too bad at all.

Having done my last 4 refils in the UK I had to go to an appointment in ROI nd got to have a glance at fuel prices when crossing the boarder 97.9ppl and it's 106.7ppl in Asda for diesel........ Not quite worth my while yet, but not far off. I have not been able to bring myself to brim the cars here as I see it as a waste of money. I put £30 in at a time to save 20kg odd of unwanted weight for initial range. 

Having done my last 4 refils in the UK I had to go to an appointment in ROI nd got to have a glance at fuel prices when crossing the boarder 97.9ppl and it's 106.7ppl in Asda for diesel........ Not quite worth my while yet, but not far off. I have not been able to bring myself to brim the cars here as I see it as a waste of money. I put £30 in at a time to save 20kg odd of unwanted weight for initial range. 

Think of the huge warm glow you will have paying the three-quarters of the price of the fuel in tax to the UK government rather than the Eire government?  

The UK could have been in the EURO Zone and the EU if the people had wanted, and they never,

and now they are going to be in neither.

Only time will tell if the Republic of Ireland's economy stays so buoyant into the future as an EU member, 

and if the UK residents come off worse into the future.

Likely Oil and Gas prices and taxes will be an issue for all as those producing the cheapest oil and gas turn the screws on many European Countries.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Local Tescos still charging 3p a litre more than the Asdas and Morrison I goes past in other towns.  Really annoying Worcester has not got any cheap petrol station when towns 5 miles aways do!

Looks like it's time to switch back to Tesco Momentum 99 from Shell V-Power for a bit. :thumbup: Since M99 is capped by Tesco at 5ppl dearer than standard 95, it'll soon be significantly cheaper than V-Power if this trend continues. Currently in my area it's 105ppl for supermarket regular, 110.9ppl for M99 and 117.9ppl for V-Power 99. To be fair, at our mileage (~12k) it's neither here nor there - £1 to £2 a week between supermarket 95 and Shell V-Power. If Tesco re-introduce the fuel savings vouchers (up to 20ppl off) so much the better, as we'd certainly benefit from that. Bring it on. :)

• Like 1

Looks like it's time to switch back to Tesco Momentum 99 from Shell V-Power for a bit. :thumbup: Since M99 is capped by Tesco at 5ppl dearer than standard 95, it'll soon be significantly cheaper than V-Power if this trend continues. Currently in my area it's 105ppl for supermarket regular, 110.9ppl for M99 and 117.9ppl for V-Power 99. To be fair, at our mileage (~12k) it's neither here nor there - £1 to £2 a week between supermarket 95 and Shell V-Power. If Tesco re-introduce the fuel savings vouchers (up to 20ppl off) so much the better, as we'd certainly benefit from that. Bring it on. :)

Nearly always went for Tesco M99 in the Fabia 2 VRS and never noticed any improvement with the occasion Shell Nitro.

think it would run pretty well on alternate 95 and 99 octane actually as there is so much fuel in the car even if you run down to the red light (driven 20 miles past zero when I had to).

Tescos are often last to change price.

Sadly most new cars, probably with the Superb being one of the few exceptions, have silly small fuel tanks ie 50 litres or less so filling part tanks is less of an option if you want a decent mileage range and not have to fill up every other day in my case doing 1k miles a week. 

Unleaded was up around 140 pence a litre back in 2012, so it has been quite good while it lasted at lower prices.

As it is business users employed by others seem to do OK, and as it is there has been 4 years for them to get more fuel efficient and less polluting cars if that was important to them, the UK Government was there with incentives.

Only real issue being the lack of more actual efficient Euro 6 emissions vehicles economy and pollution wise when out on the roads because the UK / EU allowed the kiddology of EU testing to continue and assisted in many having lifestyle vehicles with tax incentives rather than actually greener ones.

Unleaded was up around 140 pence a litre back in 2012, so it has been quite good while it lasted at lower prices.

As it is business users employed by others seem to do OK, and as it is there has been 4 years for them to get more fuel efficient and less polluting cars if that was important to them, the UK Government was there with incentives.

Only real issue being the lack of more actual efficient Euro 6 emissions vehicles economy and pollution wise when out on the roads because the UK / EU allowed the kiddology of EU testing to continue and assisted in many having lifestyle vehicles with tax incentives rather than actually greener ones.

The rise in road tax on many big cars from £300 to £500 a year has encouraged me to ditch the Jaag so that is one move. The quantum change to practical electric cars, unless one can stretch to a Tesla, is not yet there for most of us. Many of the companies I visit, and my own company, has and is setting up preferential parking spaces for electric car charging which is good to see.

Maybe the Tesla model 3 and other offerings from BMW, Ford, GM, Hyundai, Nissan-Renault and VAG will change the for good when they arrive in about 500 days time when car makers appear to be gearing for the start of fully competitive fossil fuel versus EV. The second hand market for EVs is six time bigger than it was 2 years ago and this is also significant I think.

I would happily trade my fuel card allowance for more car allowance and assistance with my electricity usage, I think everyone would be happy except the government which would get a lot less tax revenue and that is one of the main reasons that are not fully and properly actively promoting EV IMO.

Edited by lol-lol

The prospect of cheaper fuel in the UK has evaporated this week with the combination of crude oil prices risen from less than $40 a barrel to nearly $45 a barrel and the with further weakening of the Pound against the USD from 1.335 to 1.295 in the last ten days also will mean prices rising at the pumps as from these pleasant lows of 106 ppl back to around 110 in the next few days.

Ah well, mostly the consequence of the BREXIT vote, sadly it will affect those who voted Remain as well as Leave. 

Russia, Ukraine / Crimea will have an effect soon enough, and Russia & Turkey being best buddies.,

My enemy's enemy is my friend.

• 1 month later...

Fuel prices clicked up another penny a litre here in Worcestershire.  Seems to be clicking up a penny a ltre every 3 to 4 weeks........

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/petrol-prices-soar-wake-brexit-1581880

Petrol prices soar in the wake of Brexit The plummeting pound has caused motorists to feel the squeeze.

Brexit's impact on the pound could cause fuel prices to sky rocket, the AA warned on Saturday (17 September).  Its figures reveal that following year-on-year decline in petrol prices, this month will be the first in three years where motorists will feel a spike.

Diesel car owners will be the worst hit with prices up 1.88p compared to August and 2.65p higher than September 2015.Prices are 1.59p higher compared with last month, almost 1p more expensive than this time last year.  AA President Edmund King said: "The three-year cycle of certainty that pump prices would be cheaper than 12 months earlier has been broken.   "That is bad news for a population, that according to last week's official figures, uses cars for 64% of trips and 78% of distance travelled.  "The same report underlined that people in the UK are not only getting out less but that the number of trips they made last year was the lowest recorded."  The main cause for the spike is the plummeting pound as a result of Brexit, which is now worth 14% less against the dollar than this time last year.   But rising inflation has also added to motorists financial woes.

Overall East Anglia was named the most expensive region for both petrol and diesel costing 112.2p and 113.6p a litre respectively. And Northern Ireland was the cheapest for both with petrol at 110.8p and diesel for 111.9p a litre.

Edited by lol-lol

Fuel prices clicked up another penny a litre here in Worcestershire.  Seems to be clicking up a penny a ltre every 3 to 4 weeks........

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/petrol-prices-soar-wake-brexit-1581880

Petrol prices soar in the wake of Brexit The plummeting pound has caused motorists to feel the squeeze.

Brexit's impact on the pound could cause fuel prices to sky rocket, the AA warned on Saturday (17 September).  Its figures reveal that following year-on-year decline in petrol prices, this month will be the first in three years where motorists will feel a spike.

Diesel car owners will be the worst hit with prices up 1.88p compared to August and 2.65p higher than September 2015.Prices are 1.59p higher compared with last month, almost 1p more expensive than this time last year.  AA President Edmund King said: "The three-year cycle of certainty that pump prices would be cheaper than 12 months earlier has been broken.   "That is bad news for a population, that according to last week's official figures, uses cars for 64% of trips and 78% of distance travelled.  "The same report underlined that people in the UK are not only getting out less but that the number of trips they made last year was the lowest recorded."  The main cause for the spike is the plummeting pound as a result of Brexit, which is now worth 14% less against the dollar than this time last year.   But rising inflation has also added to motorists financial woes.

Overall East Anglia was named the most expensive region for both petrol and diesel costing 112.2p and 113.6p a litre respectively. And Northern Ireland was the cheapest for both with petrol at 110.8p and diesel for 111.9p a litre.

Ours have been at around the 108.9-110.9 for petrol and a penny more for diesel for a good few weeks now without any rises.

Ours have been at around the 108.9-110.9 for petrol and a penny more for diesel for a good few weeks now without any rises.

I think it depends on which supermarkets one has in the area, sadly in Worcester we did not have an ASDA or Morrison's fuel station, they are a good few miles away in Bromsgrove and Malvern, so Sainsbury and Tescos capitalise on this fact by charging a penny or so more as it is not worth driving 15k to do such a trip so unles one remembers to fill up at J2 on the M5 or somewhere else cheaper I am stuck with rip-off Worcester stations.

Newly named Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy is now in charge of these stats........

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/road-fuel-prices-19-september-2016

Edited by lol-lol

Still hovering around the 108-111 pp/l in Hereford, diesel around the same. LPG varies depending on where you go, best price is 48.9 pp/l, rising to 55.9 pp/l

Should be running cars on Herefordshire cow methane perhaps?   Expect the government would still want to tax that somehow.

I forgot to mention that these prices are the branded petrol stations around here and not the supermarkets which are sometimes a penny or two lower.

I forgot to mention that these prices are the branded petrol stations around here and not the supermarkets which are sometimes a penny or two lower.

I would have thought maybe it is those towns closer to the refineries ie not Worcester and places close to the centre of England are at a disadvantage but then Birmingham is always cheaper than here so it is down to competition and volumes I think.  Believe it is 107.7 in Brum for Asda for U/L.