GPS / Changing the Clock

OK, so my assumption was that I wouldn't need to change the clock as I've got Columbus, and the time source is set to GPS (as opposed to Manual).  However, whilst it has correctly got rid of the tick from the DST box, and the time zone is correct (GMT +0), the time hasn't been changed... i.e. it's now an hour ahead.

Anyone else got one of the GPS units and had issues with their clock not showing the correct time this morning?

Have you got the DST box ticked in the CAR menu settings? On my Amundsen the GPS will keep the clock accurate to GMT but will not handle summer time variations. You have to turn DST on/off manually.

• Like 1

I changed mine manually only to find it kept reverting to the hour ahead time ! It was only on going to the Menu, "Time/Date" setting that I realised to untick the SummerTime box which solved the problem - I take it next Spring all I'll have to do is tick the box again for the clock to automatically reset to the correct time ?

JKW

I changed mine manually only to find it kept reverting to the hour ahead time ! It was only on going to the Menu, "Time/Date" setting that I realised to untick the SummerTime box which solved the problem - I take it next Spring all I'll have to do is tick the box again for the clock to automatically reset to the correct time ?

JKW

Fraid so.

JKW

Correct. Just tick the summertime box.

Have you got the DST box ticked in the CAR menu settings?

No - it wasn't ticked... which was the bit I thought was odd.  I tried ticking it to see if it made any difference, but it wouldn't accept any input.  I was tempted to change the time zone to GMT-1.  Don't really want to turn it to manual though, as the clock could then drift (the one in my BMW lost about 4 minutes every couple of months - it was utter crap).

No - it wasn't ticked... which was the bit I thought was odd.  I tried ticking it to see if it made any difference, but it wouldn't accept any input.  I was tempted to change the time zone to GMT-1.  Don't really want to turn it to manual though, as the clock could then drift (the one in my BMW lost about 4 minutes every couple of months - it was utter crap).

Indeed that's very odd. I can't think why the DST box won't allow you to tick/untick the option at will.

In your initial post you implied that the DST had been turned off automatically (ie became unticked) last night. My Amundsen did not do that - I had to manually untick it this morning. My unit is also set to get the time from the GPS.

Sounds like the Columbus may work differently.

Can't think what else to suggest.

Indeed that's very odd. I can't think why the DST box won't allow you to tick/untick the option at will.

In your initial post you implied that the DST had been turned off automatically (ie became unticked) last night. My Amundsen did not do that - I had to manually untick it this morning. My unit is also set to get the time from the GPS.

Sounds like the Columbus may work differently.

Can't think what else to suggest.

My Columbus works exactly the same as your Amundsen...

Right, just been out to look again... this time, the DST box was ticked.  So I unticked it, and it accepted that, and now the clock is right.  I can't blame the car really, I too make very little sense before midday on a Sunday  :D .  If I hadn't been taking the kids to the cinema, I'd still have been in bed.

As for why you have to adjust the DST manually, it's all very simple... The GPS system broadcasts the time signal in UTC.  It is then up to the receiving system (i.e. the car) to translate that into the appropriate time zone (as selected by the user, probably).  The issue with DST is that the dates on which the clocks change can vary within a single time zone - and the dates are also not, AIUI, set in stone more than a few years in advance.  Therefore, in something like a car, which cannot guarantee getting any updates to its database, you can't rely on knowing when the clock should change and so the simplest thing to do is to just allow the user to tell the car when DST applies and when it doesn't.  Your PC/Mac/tablet/whatever does (or at least should!) get regular updates, and so it's a pretty safe bet that you can tell it when the dates are set, and so allow it to do it all automatically.  Or something like that, anyway.

I found that if you went via car , setup, date and time the daylight saving option was unticked and not selectable while gps was the time source.

However if you go menu, setup, date and time then daylight saving was ticked and could be unticked.

• Like 1

I found that if you went via car , setup, date and time the daylight saving option was unticked and not selectable while gps was the time source.

However if you go menu, setup, date and time then daylight saving was ticked and could be unticked.

Now, I found exactly the opposite - going Menu > Setup  > Date + Time led to the DST box being un-ticked and not selectable... whilst going Car > Setup > Date + Time it was ticked and allowed me to un-tick it.  How odd!

GPS time does not change, it remains the same constantly regardless of whats happening to the clocks worldwide. All the GPS time gives you is an accurate time, the timezone still needs to be set on the car as an offset to GPS time.

Didn't change mine till postman's lunchtime today and I still had to untick the DST box manually so, I thnk you've gottado this manually whichever timezone you're in.

To be honest it wasn't much of a hardship - but given how technologically advanced we are in 2014 it's quite poor IMO

GPS time does not change, it remains the same constantly regardless of whats happening to the clocks worldwide. All the GPS time gives you is an accurate time, the timezone still needs to be set on the car as an offset to GPS time.

I'm beginning to think no-one read my post (yesterday, 18:25)...  :'(

Hi

I have the Columbus, and a couple of weeks ago I was playing with VCDS and found a place to change summertime to automatic.

This weekend it changed time by it self!

ArvidG

• Like 2

Quite surprised that it doesn't automatically change when the clocks go forward/back. My 2007 Honda Civic did that faultlessly.

If a 2007 Honda Civic can do it there's no reason a modern Skoda can't  :D

I have no GPS or any kind of satnav that I know of. I changed my time by the menu the evening before (i.e. Saturday evening) thinking it would therefore  be right Sunday morning.

Wrong! I found it has taken another hour off itself. No idea how it knows what to do! (Maybe via a radio signal?)

But weirdly the date had gone back to something in 2012.

Anyway, I set it all correctly by the set-up time/date menu and it has stayed right since then.

Edited by ednmra

Quite surprised that it doesn't automatically change when the clocks go forward/back. My 2007 Honda Civic did that faultlessly.

I've had CRV's and Accords - all of them re-set automatically (including advancing an hour when driving off the tunnel at Calais).

As a general observation - Jap auto electronics seem to be more reliable, consistent and intuitive compared to German stuff (satnav instructions and useage far easier on the Honda).

Edited by GordonH

Not sure its that we don't read them but more, that we're not at your level..... four technology based acronyms is a little hard to swallow at times !

Food for thought perhaps :notme:  

Hi

I have the Columbus, and a couple of weeks ago I was playing with VCDS and found a place to change summertime to automatic.

This weekend it changed time by it self!

ArvidG

Yet my Columbus won't allow this to be enabled .......

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk