Poor fuel consumption?

86bhp version non greentech... I've done 600 miles on a tank many many times before :-)

I can understand people with the 105 disagreeing tho my dad has a skoda Yeti with that engine and hes getting 35mpg average which makes me chuckle!

I really am not sure I agree with the comment about the sludge at the bottom of the tank? One of the biggest myths about cars ever which has been debunked many times :-)

Ahhhhh - didn't realise you had the 86bhp 1.2 - yes, that'll happily do 600 miles all day long :)

And I stand my my sludge position - petrol has dirt and sediment in it that collects in the tank over not much time at all. Having had reason to crack open a fuel tank (trust me, don't ask) that had done just 50,000 miles and not been abused, it was amazing how much gunk was in the bottom.

Here's a laugh for you all. I done this distance earlier.

f5cf3a2704f4098e86ce9211a8236ab5.jpg

And it used one whole of those segments on the gauge.

2274b0a9692cc42f730fb72d11c3c228.jpg

When I left it was on the segment above and the engine was right up to temperature too as its a warm night here. The Rapid is a joke car that should never have been made with its V6 economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a laugh for you all. I done this distance earlier.

And it used one whole of those segments on the gauge.

When I left it was on the segment above and the engine was right up to temperature too as its a warm night here. The Rapid is a joke car that should never have been made with its V6 economy.

More like V8 economy, my 3.5 litre Rover SDI would do 19 mpg, 6 mpg going up hill.     Your gauge is clearly cattle trucked.

It has been a very interesting thread and I have taken away quite a few interesting issues with this.   Clearly the car has a horrendous gremlin in the electronics ie for the gauges.  If the car does 400-500 miles on a tankful then that is what most people see ie close the the urban fuel consumption.     Driving to the low fuel light and the amount one can get in at time of refill is a much better indication than the poor analogue instruments Skoda fit.

In my recently departed Fabia 2 VRS I thought the fuel computer was quite good.  No problem driving it to zero miles, even go 15 miles pass zero, you could then do a vented fill to 5 litres more than nominal tank capacity and get a really recent tank range ie 500 miles on a good set of runs.  Actual fuel gauge is pretty non-linear and is virtually superfluous and you may as well use the computer.  Suppose it is there for a few cars that do not have the fuel computer and it is just left in.   

Actual Skoda computer is better in some regards to Renault/Dacia one which, when you start to get in to the last LED fuel gauge block and the 'puter refuses to give any miles to empty just goes dash-dash-dash on the display !!   Interested to see no comments on the new engined Rapids.  90 and 110 hp engines are 10% better according to brochure figures, at least no higher road tax even if it is not achieved.   Always annoying if one has bought something and it does not perform according to spec.  Hope karma is achieved ASAP, nothing in life is perfect, learning to adapt and move on is where it is at.

Are you having a laugh? Theres something seriously wrong with your car if you used that much fuel in 5miles take it back mate! I Can do almost 100 miles when its full and the needle doesnt move?

Tell me about it. I'm sick to death of it. They've already had it 3 months and changed everything. I never know what's in it I just keep putting fuel in constantly.

EDIT: I've just reopened the case with SUK and told them I want rid of this car after the last episode.

• Like 1

Our green machine has shown a little improvement on fuel economy since service and I'm still happy with the mpg of very high 40's on rural commutes and low 40's if I include a number of local trips between fill ups.

TP

I am surprised those with the 86 hp version get significantly better mpg that the 105, makes little sense in the engines are pretty much identical except for the mapping although perhaps partially explained like withe the TCE engine which has select-able mapping ie standard and eco mode.   Standard mode extra urban is about 62 mpg, eco mode it is more like 66 mpg.  Slight pain it is switch select-able on the dash board would rather it auto started with it but clicked off on full throttle, something Skoda should consider perhaps ie have the economy of the 86/90 hp most the time and the 105/110 hp just when you want it.  Think the eco switch limits the turbo boost and just discourages revving much beyond 4.5k/5k revs.  If it helps get another 40 miles out of a tank it is a good feature to use.  

Thought the turbo was different on the two rated engines? Also the Gearbox is completely different as I'm missing 6th Gear. Now you would have thought this would have hurt the economy on the old motorway but doesnt seem to one bit! Just hit 550 miles this morning and i've still got nearly quarter of a tank left :D :D

No doubt you're right, but the 1.2 TSI is a miracle of modern engineering compared to the normally aspirated 1.2 FIRE engine in my wife's Panda. I love the Panda - it's brilliant fun - but how I wish Fiat had an engine like the 1.2 TSI!

The Fiat engine is so old it could have been designed by Brunel! :-D Trying to wring Euro 6 performance out of the old lump has probably been a step too far. The 0.9 twin air has its fans, but the MPG figures have proven to be a work of fiction.

That FIAT 8V 1.2 is pretty damn good for an antique.  No real power or acceleration but it will do 90-95 all the way from the Scottish Highlands to the East Midlands and back every weekend. and still doing 38mpg.   :)  1200 Italian cc's just seemed to have a lot going on.

Mind you the AX was only 5 mph slower and did over 50mpg on the same high speed commute.

My modern 1.2TSi (which I love) crucifies them both on performance, but if thrashed it's going to use more juice than even the FIAT did.

Edited by camelspyyder

Poor fuel economy? Naaaa my lil 1.2 tsi seems to be getting better and better!!! 600 miles per tank is easy. It's even starting to surprise me now (Never thought I would ever in my lifetime see a petrol engine achieve this!) It is due for a service though which for some reason usually hurts the economy for a few months after!?!?!?

2vjdabm.jpg

due to the non linear characteristics of skoda fuel gauges, I would estimate you are nearer 2/3 fuel used so more realistic 450-480 miles on tank

still respectable

Thought the turbo was different on the two rated engines? Also the Gearbox is completely different as I'm missing 6th Gear. Now you would have thought this would have hurt the economy on the old motorway but doesnt seem to one bit! Just hit 550 miles this morning and i've still got nearly quarter of a tank left :D :D

Had the same thing when having a Mk 1 Octavia VRS and a SEAT Cupra at the same time, both had the 1.8T 180 hp engine, the SEAT had the six speed box and the Skoda the 5 speed but the Skoda, I tihnk mainly due to its more aero shape, did 5-10% better mpg than the Cupra.  Gearing in Skoda quite high so cruising rpm quite low but odd.

But with the 86/105 Rapids, as it cannot be taller gearing, it must just be the whole fuelling mapping in the 105 is a bit more on the power than the economy side, what else can it be?

I'll be filling up again today - got my refuel warning about 8 miles from home last night so the petrol station will be the first port of call when I head out later to do the shopping.

Car was at just under 520 miles when I pulled onto the drive last night, so another encouraging economy run involving both motorway and local driving.

The car has now done just over 16,000 miles and is nicely run in - there has been a definite positive difference in the last 4,000 miles to both fuel economy and engine performance. Mind you, I'm having an oil change on Sunday so will be interesting to see if that impacts at all on running.

Nice result.

I'm upto 300 miles and nearly empty [emoji17]

And it's showing a range of 165 miles left. Umm I don't think so.

That range figure sounds bang on & more correct than the needle.  If it's accurate why not ignore the gauge?

A part from, or possibly related, in addition to the even worse that normal Skoda analogue instrumentation (Skoda - please move to digital on most if not all instruments ie digital numeric or LCD/LED representation of metrics of car metrology, perhaps the gremlin is affecting, voltage or something that is throwing it all off. It could be worse, you could have a DSG gearbox that suddenly loose gears when overtaking or in the outside of the motorway. Reminded me of my favourite Twight Zone episode with the Gremlin.(60s and 80s versions Shatner/Lithgow).....

https://vimeo.com/30119989

48.55mpg - that's off the back of 534 miles driven and 50 litres of fuel used. Not as good as the last tank, but still good considering (had a couple of journeys home from work last week where I hit epic M25 traffic which destroyed my fuel economy).

Had an interim oil service today, so will see how it performs with some fresh goo in the engine.

Wellll bit of an update I hit 600 miles and the light has finally come on to refuel. Will get a piccy tomorrow on my way to get the rapid serviced.... Gonna run it to 0 miles left just out of curiosity :-) love the fact someone thought my range was more like 480!!!! Hahahaha not even close

Wellll bit of an update I hit 600 miles and the light has finally come on to refuel. Will get a piccy tomorrow on my way to get the rapid serviced.... Gonna run it to 0 miles left just out of curiosity :-) love the fact someone thought my range was more like 480!!!! Hahahaha not even close

See if you can beat the 615 miles covered and still with 15 miles left I got on my Fabia 2 VRS, soulds like you easily will (10 litre bigger nominal tank size in the Rapid of course).

You can, if the computer is like my Fabia you can drive up to 20 miles past zero with no noise I could hear or symtoms of fuel starvation.  I think somebody did about 40 miles past when it clicked zero miles left.  

See if you can beat the 615 miles covered and still with 15 miles left I got on my Fabia 2 VRS, soulds like you easily will (10 litre bigger nominal tank size in the Rapid of course).

You can, if the computer is like my Fabia you can drive up to 20 miles past zero with no noise I could hear or symtoms of fuel starvation.  I think somebody did about 40 miles past when it clicked zero miles left.  

Fab 2 vrs is diesel no?

Totally different ballgame from pussyfooting the 1200 petrol IMO.

My heap of a Proton Wira Diesel (with an antique 2.0TD Mitsubishi boat-anchor in it) did the same mpg as my modern 1.2TSi, and it was so easy, never thinking about eco-driving - which is all I think about driving the Rapedo.

• Like 1

Fab 2 vrs is diesel no?

Totally different ballgame from pussyfooting the 1200 petrol IMO.

My heap of a Proton Wira Diesel (with an antique 2.0TD Mitsubishi boat-anchor in it) did the same mpg as my modern 1.2TSi, and it was so easy, never thinking about eco-driving - which is all I think about driving the Rapedo.

No. Super and turbocharger high compression petrol running on 99 octane fuel. Extra urban consumption is about 55 mpg and with a vented tank fill over 600 miles range clearly possible.