pd 150 head bolts

roscovrs

Hi I have ordered some pd150 head bolts for my stage 2 hybrid vrs as a precautionary measure as I don't want the head to lift.

Can the bolts just be removed and replaced one by one with the cam belt and everything left on. And is there a specific order for the first bolt to come out and be replaced and torqued back up?

any help is appreciated cheers.

I am pretty sure its start at the center most bolt and work your way outwards. As you are doing one bolt at a time. Do the 3 torquing stages on each bolt in one go before moving to the next bolt :)

You need a tidy braker bar and spliber socket for final stages as it gets tight. Last thing you want is tje spline tool sheering down the hole lol

• Like 1

Do bolts in any sequence, just makesure you only do one at a time :)

Bolt Sequence is only for removal of the head, to release the pressure equally a bit at a time to stop the head getting damaged.

They have written on the top the tensile strengh if you get lost ;)

12.9 is the tensile rating if you can make it out. Standard are 10.2 I think...

image.jpg

Good shout!  Never realised that was on there.  Stock PD130 is 10.9, but 12.9 still represents a decent upgrade in tensile strength.

I s*** my pants tightening them up to the last 90degrees! Ask Kev!! :D

I have watched my mate torque up my headbolts on various head upgrades and that last 90 is proper tough, especially with the effort needed for the last 90 and the fact you want to accurately get that 90. :D  My mate has a little tool to put at the bottom of the wrench/socket to ensure the 90 is smack on.  Looks like a little protractor :D

I suppose because I didn't fancy something snapping - as I was on a tight schedule to finish fitting the turbo!!

Not sure what it takes to snap a headbolt but I gather the act of torqueing up stretches them by 2mm or so, so you are placing a fair amount of physical bolt movement on it.  :)   Would love to know what the actual torque is at the end in Nm :D

Ask Kev about my angle gauge and torque wrench....   he very much disliked how anal I was over torquing things up correctly ha ha! The 90degree movements must be placing one hell of a torque on it - especially the last 90.

The bolts have stopped the tiny bit of coolant loss I had anyway - so they've done their job!

• Like 1

:nerd: < Alex

A good breaker bar is required for the final stage,not a knackered old torque wrench............ :notme: Hence it was funny watching Alex doing them! :p

Pretty sure my 8 year old daughter would have made it look easier!!!!! :sun:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I changed my head bolts to pd150's 1 at a time earlier but I only tightened to 60nm followed by 2 90degree turns.

Searched everywhere and only 60nm - 2 90 degree turns come up. Is it really 90nm? :o

You did it right, relax.

• 2 months later...