Replacement Tyres

survey

I've just bought 2 Goodyear tyres from Blackcircles and they were £131.xx each INCLUDING sitting and balancing AND I got Tesco Clubcard points with them too ;).

Not sure if that's a good price - BUT - it included sitting and balancing....which is always welcome on these occasions.  :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Got 42,000 miles out of my 16" Vredstein Wintrac Extremes and 48,000 miles out of my 17" Vredstein Ultrac Giugiaros summers. Not bad mileage, superb grip on both tyres, but both have been very noisy so I've just fitted Goodyear Ultragrip Performance 2's for winter. (see Avatar pic) So far they are very quiet but they definitley don't handle as well and they don't grip as well on wet tar. Yet to know what they're like in the snow. [i went for 205 60 R16 92H - a size choice discussed on another forum topic - in the hope that the slightly narrower profile will help in snow and on the muddy tracks I clamber about on a lot.]

Update: 1000 miles on the Goodyear Ultragrip Perf 2's. I'm not particularly happy with them. Yes, they are quiet, but they feel very soft and vague. Drove them in snow over the past few days and they're nowhwere near as good as the Vredsteins Wintrac's, I was spinning all over the place this morning up in Glenrinnes when the Vredsteins would have been fine. Bummer! :-(

Well I started this thread.  Thanks for the responses so far.  I am amazed at the poor mileages some are achieving on their tyres.  Our Yeti has covered 31K, with over 25K on the original Dunlop SP01's and still some tread left (the winter tyres are now on it). We do not drive particularly slowly, so how come we are getting much better mileage?

Reference has been made to poor wear on Continental tyres - my other car (MB Coupe) has Continental Premium Contact tyres and I am getting close to replacing the fronts - the tyres have covered 32K  and still have a 3-3.5mm left. The rears (drive wheels) were changed at 23K but still had some tread on them.

As a general point, when I renewed the Continental tyres, the new Continentals only had 7mm on them - I thought new tyres came with 8mm. When I queried this with a tyre dealer he said the manufacturers say they will come with between 6-8mm depending upon where they were manufactured. I would be appalled to get a new tyre with only 6mm on it!! Rip-off comes to mind. So what thickness tread have you found on new tyres?

The four main things that will effect tyre wear on a Yeti will be firstly it's weight (petrol engines being lighter than diesel and the wee 1.2TSi is impressively light), secondly whether it is 4WD or 2WD thirdly the tyre compound / design and finally the driving style / roads type driven upon.

If you have a 1.2TSi 2WD and drive gently in the zen ways of an Advanced Driver on hard-wearing rubber you should expect to get up to 45,000 / 50,000 miles from a tyre. But you'll not have a huge amount of fun!

My new Goodyears have 8mm tread and I loath them so much I hope I only get 10,000 from them!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update: 1000 miles on the Goodyear Ultragrip Perf 2's. I'm not particularly happy with them. Yes, they are quiet, but they feel very soft and vague. Drove them in snow over the past few days and they're nowhwere near as good as the Vredsteins Wintrac's, I was spinning all over the place this morning up in Glenrinnes when the Vredsteins would have been fine. Bummer! :-(

I've given up on the Goodyears Ultragrip Performance 2's. They were not up to the mark in the snow - and I encounter a lot of snow in my job! I've fitted Nokian WR D3's instead. What a revelation! Was up a farm track near Tomintoul today - all mud, ice and deep snow. No problems with grip whatsoever. They are noisier and harsher, but frankly I don't care, I'd rather stay on the road (or track for that matter)!

The Goodyears would make an excellent winter tyres where snow is uncommon as they are so very quite and comfortable and were good on cold tar. I'll be flogging mine on eBay at the weekend. They'll be a steal for someone as they've only gone 550 miles! 205 60 R16's.