Windscreen washer fluid level warning...or lack of it

Encountered another issue with the Spacebacuk last night, albeit a small one.

My windscreen washer fluid bottle ran dry (never good as running dry increases the chances of sucking up dirt, grit and any other crud that might be at the very bottom of the washer bottle, potentially blocking pipes and even blocking the pump).

Anyway, the more annoying thing was that this car is supposed to have a sensor in the bottle to flag low fluid level - but there was no warning light, no Maxi Dot message or anything.

Anyone else encountered this?

Chris

It should not need retrofitting - it's a documented feature of the car in the manual so the sensor should already be there. It's either a software issue or the sensor is knackered. Given the other issues I've had with the car, my money is on the latter.

Will be on the punch list of issues for my local dealer (not the one I bought it from) to address next month when it goes in for its first service.

Will be on the punch list of issues for my local dealer (not the one I bought it from) to address next month when it goes in for its first service.

How far did it run to the first service?  My dash is estimating 18700 miles.

Off the top of my head I can't remember the dash estimate, but I don't think it's too far off that number (actual current mileage is 7,400). However, end of December will be 12 months since 1st registration and I'm not letting the car go any longer without an initial service.

Just as well given the list of things that need addressing under warranty.

Chris

Off the top of my head I can't remember the dash estimate, but I don't think it's too far off that number (actual current mileage is 7,400). However, end of December will be 12 months since 1st registration and I'm not letting the car go any longer without an initial service.

Just as well given the list of things that need addressing under warranty.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Does your car have the long life oil in it and does your driving habit suit this service schedule. i.e. typically 50miles a day and not hammered. (car will tell you when needs serviced typically 9k to 20k miles)

Or if you are short commutes and lots of stop start etc annual or 10K miles.

Its in the car code in front of service book.

I just changed to annual (wife retired and driving Rapid)

• Like 1

Option code QI6 on the sticker inside front cover of the service handbook, indicates long life oil and flexi-servicing.

Option codes are also on a sticker near the spare wheel well

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Will have a look in the morning. However, as I don't know how the car was driven or otherwise cared for prior to my ownership, it'll have a full service in a few weeks regardless. Oil and plugs are cheaper than a new engine :)

Will have a look in the morning. However, as I don't know how the car was driven or otherwise cared for prior to my ownership, it'll have a full service in a few weeks regardless. Oil and plugs are cheaper than a new engine :)

Good idea.  However you should tell the dealer if you want to stay on flexi or change to fixed servicing.  The oil grades are different for one thing and the service indicator reset.

Yes, good idea,

I bought my 1.4TSI DSG Skoda approved car from dealer RRG in Rochdale who assured me it had easy life. Turns out it was hire car. It was "serviced" last October and i think it never moved until i bought it in March. It has been faultless so far (booming excepted).

But now serviced at 22k miles and all software updates done and is running very smooth (touching wood)

Intention is to keep for a good few years, so trying look after it and adding the odd accessory to make life cool and laid back.

Bidey fae Perth

• Like 1

Owner's manual page 36

Windscreen washer fluid level
If the windscreen washer fluid level is too low, the warning light illuminates.
The following message is shown in the MAXI DOT display.
Top up wash fluid!

I've not experienced it yet, but my friend told me that this warning light does illuminate when iginition is switched on, but not after starting engine.