Battery Replacement

Napier

Battery has been struggling with recent cold mornings and short runs, so decided to change the Banner original before it lets me down. Got a Varta Silver Dynamic 77Ah via EuroBatt Ltd. £69.50 including next day delivery. Spins over faster than its ever done!

The original flimsy cover fits fine!

And as has been mentioned the battery fitted to your car from new is likley to be not up to the job.

Skoda are aware of this and now fit higher spec batteries.

Call Skoda Assist.

• Like 1

There should be no problem with that if you can get there but Skoda Assist will take you there and ensure a car is organised if they either have no battery or there is another problem you are not yet aware off.

Interesting...ours had the flashing lights and lock/unlock, and needed jump starting last week. Left with garage overnight who did full charge, but couldn't explain the cause. (Incidentally garage were really helpful on jump start and recommended putting side lights to on before connecting leads so there was a load, and avoid frying the ECU). If it happens again, and having read the above, I'll appeal for a new battery as it's only 22 months old.

I went through several occasions were it failed to start and several more where it was close. This was due to a intermittent current draw through the Columbus system which was rectified via a new battery and software upgrade. Skoda are well aware of this.

I queried the battery on my L&K 170 2Lt dsg Estate with start/stop, heated w/screen etc. etc. with Skoda UK who stated it was the correct one. I then contacted Varta direct who informed me it is not the battery for the vehicle, Skoda still say it is correct so I agree with a previous member that Skoda are fitting lower power batteries. Varta do not even list the battery fitted so they must have been special specs for Skoda. ( bulk cheap buys ). Fortunately to date no problems, but the  alternator is giving full charge almost all the time, therefore the write ups on how the charging almost cuts out when you want to accelerate and reduce alternator drag for increased efficiency rarely works. It does seem to read correct after about 30 miles driving on the motorway. Current and voltage checked with professional calibrated equipment. I also purchased a cheap unit from Amazon which fits in the power point ( now so called, but is the cigar lighter of old ) which also read within o.1 of the professional units, well worth obtaining to check your charging if you are getting battery problems. I always used to use Exide batteries they normally lasted 10+ years, I doubt any of the reduced size modern batteries will last more than 5 years with all the electrical extras, I rarely keep a vehicle now for more that 12 months so fortunately have very few if any problems.

Swapped the OEM battery for the Varta this morning without too much difficulty.  I ran a spare 12v scooter battery in parallel using jump leads to avoid losing the various settings in the car.  All told it took about half an hour but most of that was down to seeking out the correct spanners and cursing at the battery cables getting in the way when re-fitting  :devil:

For reference, my battery cover is the floppy material one, not the plastic box and here's what I did:

1. Charge new battery overnight
  2. Undo captive screws in airbox (torx bit of indeterminate size)
  3. Lift airbox cover and push to one side
  4. Cover airbox with a plastic bag
  5. Loosen bolt holding battery clamp using 13mm socket with extension bar then remove bolt and bracket by hand
  6. Loosen nuts holding battery leads onto battery - 10mm spanner if memory serves me.
  7. Run jump leads behind bonnet strut and hook up positive to scooter battery then to positive battery lead.  I had to run the clip at 90 degrees to the battery clamp and clip it onto the circular part of the clamp that goes around the battery post. Imagine a crocodile drinking a bottle of coke...
  8. Repeat for negative cable
  9. Check that nothing's on fire
  10. Remove negative clamp by gently wiggling upwards being careful not to let the jump lead fall off
  11. Repeat for positive clamp
  12. Optional: accidentally pull plastic cover off positive cables then spend five minutes fastening it back on again :dull:
  13. Wrap positive clamp/jumper cable combo in a plastic bag to avoid touching any metal work
  14. Gently remove the battery cover by pulling up on each corner at a time whilst being careful not to dislodge any jumper cables
  15. Remove old battery
  16. Attempt to put new battery into holder
  17. Optional: Realise that you're trapping the leads beneath the battery and something's going to unclip at any moment now. Repeat until annoyed
  18. Grab a couple of bungee hooks and use one on each of the battery cables to hold them out of the way.  I used the windscreen wiper arm and assorted holes at the front of the engine as anchor points
  19. Lift new battery into holder
  20. Peer down the side of the battery to make sure it's seated properly and the clamp will keep it in place
  21. Re-fit battery clamp and tighten with wrench
  22. Re-fit battery cover
  23. Remove bungee hook on positive clamp and push clamp onto positive battery post
  24. Repeat for negative
  25. Remove jumper cables (positive from the scooter battery first, just in case)
  26. Re-tighten nuts holding terminal clamps
  27. Check that the boot opens (as it's controlled by a solenoid)
  28. Refit airbox cover
  29. Start engine and marvel at almost immediate startup
  30. Quick peer under the bonnet to check for small fires
  31. Close bonnet and go for a spin

Is it necessary to charge the new battery before fitting?

Probably not but it doesn't hurt to chuck a smart charger on it to make sure it's fully topped up.

Charging aside, the car seemed to start much easier this morning though it was down to about 3degC - no hesitation at all.

• Like 1

Battery failed again yesterday (see above) ...an hour and a half hanging around at airport waiting for the fifth emergency service. I'd already ordered the Varta recommended...garage had said they'd install (and to be fair they offered a warranty replacement which I turned down on the basis it's more of the same). But couldn't wait with gamble risk of a third inconvenient failure so I replaced. Found retaining plate on inside bottom a pain but otherwise harmless job. Fully expected Columbus to lose its code...but apart from clock reset, no issues whatsoever.

Less than an hour...on both occassions. Key sympton was multiple flashing lights as we approached the car. Then mad lock/unlock, clock zeroed, failure to start. Hence the call to AA. Was worried about the alternator but both garage and AA say that checks out fine. I'm not the first to have to change battery prematurely...mine at 22 months. Dare say I won't be the last either. AA chap said given normal drain, esp Kessy, getting a premium battery was a good idea, and also higher capacity.

Hi , just joining this thread,  mine is aa 2013 ( pre facelift) 4x4 170 hatch with all the electric bits etc, been sluggish to start in the mornings, failed me once and had to call to green flag jump start it, handed it in to dealer who ( after 4 days searching) reckoned their was a battery drain in the ABS controller which they replaced, but has not made any difference. Car is fitted with a Moll 70ah battery?. Last night I connected a smart charger with showed the battery was only half charged, left this on overnight, seemed fine this morning, engine spun much faster and fired first time, problem is how long will my charge last before battery is back to half level? & how do I know where the problem is, its it the battery not charging fast enough or not having enough capacity, to much drain from all the electrical gubbins , or the alternator  not generating enough power???

Any advice greatly appreciated , car is booked into dealers on Friday, so the more ammunition I have the better.

I queried the battery on my L&K 170 2Lt dsg Estate with start/stop, heated w/screen etc. etc. with Skoda UK who stated it was the correct one. I then contacted Varta direct who informed me it is not the battery for the vehicle, Skoda still say it is correct so I agree with a previous member that Skoda are fitting lower power batteries. Varta do not even list the battery fitted so they must have been special specs for Skoda. ( bulk cheap buys ). Fortunately to date no problems, but the  alternator is giving full charge almost all the time, therefore the write ups on how the charging almost cuts out when you want to accelerate and reduce alternator drag for increased efficiency rarely works. It does seem to read correct after about 30 miles driving on the motorway. Current and voltage checked with professional calibrated equipment. I also purchased a cheap unit from Amazon which fits in the power point ( now so called, but is the cigar lighter of old ) which also read within o.1 of the professional units, well worth obtaining to check your charging if you are getting battery problems. I always used to use Exide batteries they normally lasted 10+ years, I doubt any of the reduced size modern batteries will last more than 5 years with all the electrical extras, I rarely keep a vehicle now for more that 12 months so fortunately have very few if any problems.

Which battery tester did you get from Amazon, seems to be quite a few listed

And as has been mentioned the battery fitted to your car from new is likley to be not up to the job.

Skoda are aware of this and now fit higher spec batteries.

Call Skoda Assist.

Called Skoda assist after the car would not start once more for SWMBO, guy came out and said there was nothing wrong with the battery or alternator.

He said that the car is not being used enough/long enough journeys to recharge the battery.

I have had the car since July and never had any problems with the battery before, driving habits have not changed the only thing that has changed is the season.

Since the guy came out SWMBO has had the car out a few times and says that it is starting to get sluggish to start again.

I think a trip to the Skoda dealership may be in order when I get home.