Polo GTI some details

vrskeith

Why 0-60 mph again. not the 0-100kmh (62 mph) which will not be 6.2 seconds.

http://topgear.com/car-news/twin-test-vw-polo-gti-vs-seat-ibiza-cupra#1

Twintest, Polo GTI , SEAT Ibiza Cupra.  1.8TSI's. If a Polo or Ibiza with 192ps / 320Nm is near as quick as a Leon with 280ps that is great.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s5E8FDsPAaI

Feeling pretty quick is a good feeling, actually quick is nice as well.

Try a drive in a Seat Leon Cupra 280 or 290 if you have not already.

Edited by Offski

41 minutes ago, Offski said:

Why 0-60 mph again. not the 0-100kmh (62 mph) which will not be 6.2 seconds.

http://topgear.com/car-news/twin-test-vw-polo-gti-vs-seat-ibiza-cupra#1

Twintest, Polo GTI , SEAT Ibiza Cupra.  1.8TSI's. If a Polo or Ibiza with 192ps / 320Nm is near as quick as a Leon with 280ps that is great.

Feeling pretty quick is a good feeling, actually quick is nice as well.

Try a drive in a Seat Leon Cupra 280 or 290 if you have not already.

George, you are starting to read like a Seat fanboy owner lol. Oh! You are.lol

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Like the Leons especially the 1.8TSI 180 ps DSG with handling, dislike the Ibizas, and not a Polo fanboy really,

never driven a manual but have driven a Polo GTI DSG up against one and not surprisingly the one with 250Nm was quicker to 70mph rather than the Manual which is supposedly lighter and with 320Nm.

7 hours ago, pipsypreturnsagain said:

Enjoy Brian.  I absolutely adore mine.  I've had a couple of Mk7 Golf GTD's as company cars recently and this thing absolutely knocks them out of the park.

I love the whole big engine/small car thing, its better made and more refined than the Mk3 Octavia I PX'd for it.  The 1.8 TSI motor is an absolute gem....having had a Mk2 Fabia vRS as well, this is just in an altogether different league.  The 1.4 Twincharger was really good, but this is great.

I wouldnt outrightly say its a better car than a Mk7 Golf GTI as it wouldnt be factually correct, but its more unruly/aggressive nature (as a consequence of not being quite so polished.....the power also on the realms of overwhelming the chassis) make it more challenging and fun to drive.  It is probably also a bit quicker if the YouTuve vids and Top Gears tests are to be believed....it definitely feels low 6's to 60.

Not sure if you have the Sports pack on yours, but I find that also makes quite a difference.  Becomes even more skittish and aggressive...wearing on bad roads or when not in the mood but great fun otherwise.

As to fuel.....its 95ron minimum so it will run on that all day long no complaints.  I stick branded 97 in mine, Shell Nitro as and when I am able (not many local shell stations where I live).

Find on short runs and in stop start traffic the economy is woeful but otherwise its good for the performance.  Nothing like the advertised 47mpg but I managed to average about 37mpg on a near 600 mile run in the week which I was happy with.

I don't have the sports pack, which is the once option I'd like - however, I'm not the most enthusiastic of drivers, so not sure how often I'd use it.

5 hours ago, vrskeith said:

Project Brian, that's a no then. Standard pretty good ,with less high oil consumption issues and a manual, so no potential DSG hiccup but experience more involvement. Enjoy the torque and slick stick.

Aye, Keith, the gear change is very sweet - wanted to take it on the A71 between Strathaven and Darvel today but it's miserable here - bitterly cold and wet - forecast for tomorrow is much brighter though.

I'm really chuffed with it so far - in fact it has exceeded my expectations.

I expected to flick through the MFD using the left-hand stalk but had to get the manual out to find out it's controlled from the steering wheel. Love the Infotainment - in the Fabia I just streamed my music via Bluetooth but had no control - in the Polo it shows which track is playing and I can skip tracks. First DAB radio I've had - 6Music and 5Live programmed in - that's all I need.

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 17:04, Brian69 said:

Aye, Keith, the gear change is very sweet - wanted to take it on the A71 between Strathaven and Darvel today but it's miserable here - bitterly cold and wet - forecast for tomorrow is much brighter though.

I'm really chuffed with it so far - in fact it has exceeded my expectations.

I expected to flick through the MFD using the left-hand stalk but had to get the manual out to find out it's controlled from the steering wheel. Love the Infotainment - in the Fabia I just streamed my music via Bluetooth but had no control - in the Polo it shows which track is playing and I can skip tracks. First DAB radio I've had - 6Music and 5Live programmed in - that's all I need.

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 17:04, Brian69 said:

Brian,

Interesting video about decision made :

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

I watched that last night - went through roughly the same thought process as me!

Pleased with the way the Polo leaves the line - no 'scrabbling' so far. 

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 2

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:42, Brian69 said:

I watched that last night - went through roughly the same thought process as me!

Pleased with the way the Polo leaves the line - no 'scrabbling' so far. 

Brian,

Was this you taking delivery lol. Cracking look Mio.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Brian,

Was this you taking delivery lol. Cracking look Mio.

I don't think grey is an option in the UK? Could be wrong but can't remember seeing it when I was playing about with the VW configurator. 

10 minutes ago, Brian69 said:

Now it has brightened up (finally), I've taken a wee spin out to Loudoun Hill -

IMG_2029.JPG

Brian,

nice clean arse with even better background. Lol

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Offski said:

Brian i hope you went down the road a little for Soup & Crusty bread and maybe a basket of chips and then carrot cake.

Love that road when not many around.

Is the soup out of the Loudoun Hill Inn?

I know the A71 between Strathaven and Darvel like the back of my hand (going way back...) - aye, cracking road, but a wee bit busier than I would have liked. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Smart motor Brian, no doubt running-in gently!?

Don't think I've been over 3,000 revs - you can make decent progress at low revs, so taking it easy is no hardship.

MFD shows the oil temp. - pleased to get that back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian69 said:

WTF is this?? -

IMG_2032.JPG

Screw in towing hitch??

Doesn't it say in the manual?

Trust you have a spacesaver spare over the top of the battery back there Brian. With the appropriate tool kit, as not every manufacturer supplies that these day. At least VW get that right.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1