Winter wheels/tyres on...

muddyboots

...so that's another mild winter guaranteed :)

Here it is, complete with poverty-spec steels & trims.

Hi MB

Where did you get the steel wheels from.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Colin

Edited by CHILLEY

I bought them off someone one here (before I actually got my Yeti :) ).

They are genuine VAG wheels and Skoda trims ("Rif" type trims I think).

Tyres are Hankook Winter ICept Evo...considering changing them though, as they are rather noisy and have hit the fuel consumption - not had either of those issues with Contis etc I've used over the last few years on other cars.

Would probably be fine for someone who didn't have two long journeys every day!

• Like 1

Tyres are Hankook Winter ICept Evo...considering changing them though, as they are rather noisy and have hit the fuel consumption - not had either of those issues with Contis etc I've used over the last few years on other cars.

Would probably be fine for someone who didn't have two long journeys every day!

Nokians WR are good winter tyres - quiet too. I have the A3s in 205/55/16 on my 170, but you don't get those in the 215/60/16 size so it would be the D3s. I bought mine from Oponeo - good price & quick delivery

A3s - http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/winter/t=1/car/p=1/nokian/r=1/205-55-r16/in=2/98-96,94

D3s - http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/winter/t=1/car/p=1/nokian/r=1/215-60-r16/in=2/98-96,94

We have Nokian D3s on steel wheels with RIF trims on our Adventure.

yetiwinter1Medium_zps8bb3ffd4.jpg

yetiwinter2Medium_zps0b5de711.jpg

yetiwinter3Medium_zps94020de1.jpg

The RIF trims aren't cheap - well over £100 from a dealer, but I prefer the way they 'finish' the wheel rather than just having bare steel wheels. 

Having said that, they're about to be swapped for something else......

Having said that, they're about to be swapped for something else......

Yeah you got a bargain there, I had my eye on them too. Spent time pondering how to tell SWMBO I'd bought another set of alloys.

As they say He who hesitates, is last.

• Like 1

Really?

Mine seem to have helped with mpg and are much smoother what came came off.

Really?

Mine seem to have helped with mpg and are much smoother what came came off.

I think yours are a newer model though, so they've probably improved.

Doesn't help that these are 4 years old (although still have over 6mm tread). I've previously had winter tyres that have got quite noisy after 2 or 3 seasons use.

New winter wheels now fitted :sun:

IMG_8383Custom_zpsc1197a69.jpg

IMG_8382Custom_zpsb082f96a.jpg

IMG_8381Custom_zps59ee44e5.jpg

Thanks to DarrellGB for the wheels, and to West End Garage for swapping them over at short notice.  It'll never snow again!!!

Just to add, the Nokian D3s are very good, and make a marked difference on wet or icy roads (probably snow too, but we haven't had any since fitting them).  Fuel consumption is pretty much the same as the OEM 17" Pirellis and they're only slightly noisier. 

Edited by JulieD
  • Like 2

I did the swap yesterday - about an hour and a quarter for all four, which isn't bad. I did have a job getting the alloys off, there's a bit of corrosion on the bits the wheels bolt onto (note my immaculate grasp of automotive engineering terms) so I've ordered some copper grease and will have a go at them next weekend.

I did have a job getting the alloys off, there's a bit of corrosion on the bits the wheels bolt onto (note my immaculate grasp of automotive engineering terms) so I've ordered some copper grease and will have a go at them next weekend.

All 4 of mine were stuck on hard and needed a bit of a kicking to get off as well. All hub faces now smeared with copper grease, so shouldn't be an issue again.

For the first time ever this year I decided to pay someone to change mine last Saturday. I was just not in the mood. Oops.

10151136_10152336530581324_7790578019365

All done now and Yeti sports it silver wheel look again:

Before:

10009319_10151896283976324_909536082_n.j

After:

1002672_10151896283806324_522227570_n.jp

I've just bought a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons, 215/60 R16 95V, fitted and balanced on 4 new steel wheels, from mytyres.co.uk (delti.com) for £520 delivered from Germany - good price, I thought.  Surprisingly the V rated were cheaper than the H.  Ordered 29/11, arrived 8/12.

I'm hoping the wheels are up to OEM spec.  The markings between the stud holes are as follows:

7JX16H2     DIN  27     163307     KBA        SRD DE

ET45            11   14                      43930      164501

And round the circumference:

KBA 43930    1645   28/14   A   [two little horizontal symbols]   REG 002653/2012

Apart from the wheel size which I know is right, does the rest of this make sense to anyone?

When we've worn out the original summer Contis I'll transfer the 4 Seasons on to the alloys and sell on the steelies.

Needed the winter tyres this morning as we had quite heavy snow.

Yeti and the tyres performed perfectly without a slip, slide or loss of traction.

Could be a bit more testing tonight on the journey to work as it looks like black ice will be a consideration.

Had a journey over frosty and slushy roads yesterday so winter wheels and tyres on today (probably not snow again until end 2015 now!).

Would have ideally changed to winter tyres some weeks earlier but always seemed something more important to do - WRONG, nothing more important than correct, good condition tyres when driving in inclement weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep Johann happy, here's a picture of TIBET III with the winter Matterhorns (and Nokians) on. Not a snow flake has fallen since they were fitted a month back.....

Aye...  I DO like that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...