Best Diagnostic tool?

Hi guys, now I'm an ex Skoda Dealer employee I no longer have the luxury of using VAS and the disaster that was ODIS, I'm now looking for a diagnostic scanner that I can use with my Octavia II to help me with any issues that I might encounter over the next few years with out having to shell out for some one else's help.

I need it to read all the vehicles systems, so Engine, Abs, Airbag system and convenience etc, I haven't the budget to buy vagcom so that's out, have scanned the Internet and EBay and there's so many options!

So, Anyone got any experience with any VAG specific or all makes diagnostic equipment that can be bought for under £150.00, I would prefer if it covered all OBDII vehicles as I also have a Peugeot and my mum has a Vauxhall

Thanks in advance

Although you probably don't want to hear this, but people on here often buy cheaper code readers and in the end long for VCDS.

As far as I know there are very few aftermarket options if you want to access all the VAG control modules......if you only want OBDII then there are lots of options as you know, but not much functionality on VAG cars.

VCDS works on most makes of cars as an OBDII reader, and to answer your question it is the best diagnostic tool for VAG cars. 

Edited by booke23

I was hoping that there would be something else out there that would offer similar functionality, what does VCDS cost, any web links etc ?

Either that or or you buy a dogy hacked one that is un update able for £80 buy that's up to you

Excuse me if this sounds a bit dumb. Keep hearing folk saying get a genuine vcds cable. Isn't the cable just the link between your laptop and obd11 port on the car?

Thought the software was the vcds? Are those cheap cables on ebay capable of working with the genuine licenced software?

If you want something just toscan but that is VAG specific try a Gendan T55

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGT55.html

I have one and have used it on both our Octy and our Fabia as well as on friend's VW's, Honda's, Fords, and Fiats.

It only does OBDII for the other makes but covers all of the VAG specific modules that are not within OBDII and will read and clear codes with no problem.  Yes it's a bit clunky in terms of interface and no you can't change settings with it like you can with VCDS but it does the job for £65.

If you want something just toscan but that is VAG specific try a Gendan T55

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGT55.html

I have one and have used it on both our Octy and our Fabia as well as on friend's VW's, Honda's, Fords, and Fiats.

It only does OBDII for the other makes but covers all of the VAG specific modules that are not within OBDII and will read and clear codes with no problem.  Yes it's a bit clunky in terms of interface and no you can't change settings with it like you can with VCDS but it does the job for £65.

I do have a cheap memoscan obd11 code reader that I used with my Vauxhall. Wont this read and clear codes on a Skoda?

The memoscan should work but it will only do standard obdII codes for the engine, not codes for things like air con and the central convenience unit etc

I have an obd 327 which works with all my other cars but wont communicate with my 1.2 fabia 2004 .

Car not running and engine light on and flashing .

Is there a problem with the with my skoda comms or do i need to get a specific device like above  to read fault code .

No, the cable is NOT just the link between software and the OBD port. The cable acts as a dongle to unlock the software, and non-genuine (non Ross Tech) cables have the real potential to lock up the modules in the car, especially on the newer models.

The non genuine cables cannot be updated to work as new software, and if attempted, the EEPROM in the dongle (cable) may well need to be re-written before the cable can be used again.

Briskoda's policy is not to endorse non-genuine cables, and any posts that advertise them for sale or otherwise promote them seem to be deleted pretty pronto.

There is only one way to go for VAG diagnostics -- genuine. Many of us on here, including myself, have bought our leads from Gendan, and have had no issues whatever with them.

Mike

Thanks for clearing that up Mike. Guess I better start saving.

• 8 years later...

Gentlemen (I think I can exclude woman as there don't appear to be any women), I have read that Gendan is popular and appears to be endorsed by Briskoda. I have found these (T55,     https://www.gendan.co.uk/factor.php) and this (VAGT85,      https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGT85.html). I note that the 85 while stating that its for 96 - 2004 also EOBD compliant cars (nearly all 2001+ petrol cars and 2004+ diesel cars.* Mine is a 2012 Superb 2l diesel. can I have your feedback as someone who specifically wants to know if one of these level sensors has packed in and the temperature of the auto gearbox fluid. If one of these, and I assume the T55, is good and performs these functions then it seems worthwhile?

VCDS is good, it'll do most things you could ever want to do on a VAG car, and there's a lot of support out there for it if you want to know how to find out how to do something, but, it's not perfect. It's a bit on the clunky side to use, not always intuitive and relies on other hardware - not so bad since you can buy the later wireless versions and use them with a phone or tablet , but I do have direct experience of being broken down and having my VCDS cable, but not my laptop. There's also the obvious limitation that you can't use it when your mate's Focus throws up a light.

The Gendan and TopDon stuff is also good, but you need to buy the right version for the level of diagnostic you want to go into. The upside is, it's all on one package, pretty easy to use without bothering to read the book, and works on anything with an OBD port (ours cleared a fault light on a Merc LGV the other day). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StevesTruck said:

There's also the obvious limitation that you can't use it when your mate's Focus throws up a light.

Actually you can, it can be used as a basic OBDII reader on any make of vehicle, I think its one of the options on the home screen.

But as you point out, if you don't have your laptop computer with you..................................

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, StevesTruck said:

True, but it's very basic and doesn't always get on with talking to things. Don't get me wrong, on VAG, VCDS is great at what it does, but on anything else, it's not got a lot going for it over my £20 Aldi code reader. 

I think I have one in the glove box. Not used it. Perhaps I should download a programme/App to see what mine comes up with?

1 hour ago, CosmoJ said:

So as to the Genden T55 what's the verdict?

I have a T55 and have used it pretty extensively on older Skodas and other cars.  It's a bit clunky and worked well with our 2001 Mk1 Fabia and 2007 Mk2 Octavia but doesn't want to work with the 2018 Kodiaq we now have...  presumably because systems have moved on.  I spoke to Gendan about this as the T55 comes with a USB update cable and I'd hoped to get it to work but they said they had no updates for it.  I did find one from the manufacturer some time ago though but haven't yet bothered to try it as recently I've used Carista or similar for the Kodiaq.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

I have a T55 and have used it pretty extensively on older Skodas and other cars.  It's a bit clunky and worked well with our 2001 Mk1 Fabia and 2007 Mk2 Octavia but doesn't want to work with the 2018 Kodiaq we now have...  presumably because systems have moved on.  I spoke to Gendan about this as the T55 comes with a USB update cable and I'd hoped to get it to work but they said they had no updates for it.  I did find one from the manufacturer some time ago though but haven't yet bothered to try it as recently I've used Carista or similar for the Kodiaq.

Ah, this is interesting and thank you. I have spent the afternoon researching this and have downloaded Carista, Torque Pro and Car Scanner (as I have Veepeak - which is useless). You rate Carista? I am after finding out if I have a failed suspension level sensor and if I can read the automatic gearbox fluid temperature . Can you, could you see if these are available on your Carista?