Colombus Nav - Any good?

I've reposted in here as recommended in the "Introduce yourself" forum.

Having just picked up my 64 reg Superb Elegance Estate, whilst I am very pleased with the car I am disappointed by the Columbus stereo/sat nav. Generally the unit is very slow to respond, I know the touch screen is resistive type, but often it doesn't pickup presses, I'll press twice and then it will catchup and press the option twice. When you select options, such as the phone keypad it is very slow to draw the display, and generally move around the menus.

My main gripe is that the sound quality is poor, there is no depth or warmth to the sound, I've asked a couple of people for their opinion and the general consensus is it sounds like it is calibrated for a subwoofer that isn't present. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Columbus?

I had a similar type of VW head unit in a previous car (Mk6 Golf GTI) which sounded much better. Of the recent cars I've owned (Audi A4 / Volvo V70, neither of which had a "premium" or upgraded sound system) the sound quality doesn't compare. The stereo in my wife's Vauxhall Meriva produces a much fuller and richer sound, which should be a much lesser car. It has a "transistor radio" quality to it, I've tried adjusting the tone options, which are limited, and playing from CD/DAB/SD, etc.

Also doesn't anyone know if this unit should support Album Art from SD card or CD text, the Skoda dealer can't give me a clear answer, so I need to go and see them.

Maybe I should have done more research before buying, but I assumed that this being 2014 and the Columbus being the top of the range head unit, that it would have great sound and these features. Comparing to a friends Mk7 Golf (which I know has a newer type head unit) I thought the Columbus in the Superb would have been updated with these sort of features.

Sorry to gripe, I just feel it's letting down a great car. Can anyone offer feedback from their experience with the Columbus?

It may be 2014, but the Columbus is based on the VW RNS510, which dates back to...2007. It's dated. No way around it. It WAS top of the range back then, but things have moved on.

The newer 'Discover' series GPS in the MQB chassis cars like the Golf 7 are newer and better. They will come to the newer Superb III in a few months, but for the Superb II this is the top (and end...) of the line. 

Lots of people hate on the Columbus, but if you go in expecting to deal with a modern state of the art audio system, you're bound to be disappointed. This is still a Skoda. If you look at Audi and the audio options available (Bose or B&O systems), then you realise that the RNS510 is really a very basic system. I have the optional Sound System and I find the sound ok.

I had the Amundsen in my Octavia (RNS310 Skoda version) and that's even worse...the Columbus suits the car, looks nice and for me atleast it works well.

Just take your time, get used to it, and "slow down" your using of the screen to adapt to the "sluggishness" of the unit. If you're an audiophile, maybe ask local shops if there are options to improve the audio?

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for your honest feedback. I think you are right. I'm moving past the initial disappointment - having seen the Discover system in a Golf mk7, I thought there would have been some incremental updates to the Columbus system along the way...

As for audio quality it sounds like the system is calibrated for a different speaker configuration, I've got to drop down to the Skoda dealer and see what they can do. I saw in the forums here there is a setup menu which can be accessed, so will give this a go, see if there is anything useful in there. It sounds like the tweeters in the door are being driven too hard. As these are closer to head height the sound is "thin". I'm not an audiophile, but to me it doesn't sound quite right.

I'll let you know how I get on at the dealer.

ads

My main gripe is that the sound quality is poor, there is no depth or warmth to the sound, I've asked a couple of people for their opinion and the general consensus is it sounds like it is calibrated for a subwoofer that isn't present. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Columbus?

You are not alone.  Take a look at the Pioneer WX610A - active subwoofer to go in the spare wheel / wheel well.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/333106-chunks-superb-estate-36/?p=4038556

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/262465-cheap-upgrade-to-columbus-audio-experience/?p=3382311

That will sort out the bottom end.  The only thing that will sort out the shrillness of the tweeters would be to change them.

What our dated Columbus lacks (in addition to being unable to accomodate subwoofer in standart way) is "loudness" option: unit starts to perform only when volume reaches quite a high position - not everyone can bear it. Untill then there is almost no bass - too bad.

Here in my region owners do aftermarket doors noizebustering, which slightly but noticaebly improves sound quality and is a rather cheap upgrade to perform.

Is the upgraded sound system as fitted in the L&k an option on other models or retro fit?

Would seem to me to be the answer as I think the sound in my car is fantastic. Far too much bass available for my liking so turned it down.

See if you can listen to the L&k stereo at your dealers or visit someone with one.

welcome to come and try mine.

As for responsiveness , I agree but sometimes it seems just fine and have out it down to it being too busy finding gps, connecting Bluetooth etc for the initial part of the journey (when you are most likely to want to press buttons)

It's the sound quality on the directions that gets me down!  Examples - If it says M25 it appears that they have created the 25 from two separate and quite disparate recordings. Often when it says things like "Follow the signs for"......." the voice drops at the crucial point so the place name is inaudible,. Laughingly if the place name is in Wales he changes the place name to a strange comic version of a Welsh accent. The actual directions are not to bad - the voice guidance terrible compared with, for example Tom Tom.

I agree about the sensitivity of the screen too - sometimes you have to press so hard you fear breaking it - other times the slightest touch and it works!

Edited by Mph25

Is the upgraded sound system as fitted in the L&k an option on other models or retro fit?

It's an option on the other models (from mid range upwards I think) and well worth it IMO.  I wouldn't normally spend extra on a sound system but after having it on my L&K it is way better than the standard system and I would definitely spec it if it wasn't standard.  Being honest though, the standard version is a little below par for the level the car is supposed to be pitched at.

The screen is getting dated alright but still does an adequate job.  Its like most technology that we have these days, especially phones and tablets - its not that there is necessarily anything wrong but once we get used to something faster and more responsive our expectations keep moving on.

Make sure the Columbus has the latest firmware and maps, it improves the experience quiet a lot.

The sound quality is not really the fault of the Columbus, its the speakers and the locations. The same headunit when fitted in an Octavia sounds loads better because the speakers are better placed.

I found that the more you listen to it, the more used to it you get but it does have a tendency in the Superb to sound a bit tinny.

Also the sound quality varies a lot based on source, so the Radio sounds ok but low bitrate MP3s played from CD/DVD or SD card sound weak. Stick a music DVD Video in the Columbus and it seems to come alive, but a music CD played depends a lot on the music you like to listed to.

The better speakers and amp is an option on other levels too, I ordered mine from the factory. Its a long way from brilliant, but is an improvement on the standard system.

To be honest, I find the announcements on my TomTom far worse. You should hear how it mangles Birmingham. If I take it to Sweden, it gives up trying to pronounce things.

I have Premium sound fitted into my L&K Superb, which contains two extra speakers and amp (maybe better quality speakers too). I must say, the sound is way better than I had in my Mondoe with Ford Sound System (12 higher range speakers + sub + 300W amp). So first thing - change speakers and install amplifier. Nothing to do with Columbus.

I'm still waiting for the dealer to book the car in (been waiting 2 days for service dept to call...), but I suspect there won't be much they can change to improve it. Sounds like I should have taken the upgrade, but I never have on cars in the past, and have generally been happy. Agree with the speaker locations, they aren't well placed.

Anyway thanks for all the responses - I'll let you know how I get on.

• 1 month later...

Hi - Just to update the thread, I've been quiet whilst pursuing this with the dealer and Skoda UK (who have the worst customer service of anyone I've dealt with in a long time). Basically come to the conclusion that the Columbus is junk. Poor sound quality (I listened to a Bolero with the same speaker config which sounded better) badly configured speakers output - poor balance between mid-range and tweeters, little bass. The menus are slow to draw, it is often unresponsive, the touchscreen doesn't action all presses - even when pressing slowly and deliberately the the acoustic feedback is received (so it knows there was a touch). Slow to navigate SD card contents - Again benchmarked against the Bolero which was much faster. Bluetooth streaming is poorly featured - It remains connected even if BT source isn't selected and audio announcements don't intersect the current audio source.

In it's defence DAB support is good, switching between transmitters is fine and the satnav is adequate - Although not as comprehensive as my Garmin, but acquires satellites quickly and integration into car is nice.

I guess Skoda know this because it's being replaced in the Superb3. But I've learnt my lesson in the future - will make sure I check this out more thoroughly on my next car, and would recommend anyone looking at a Superb with this system checks it out thoroughly and make sure you are happy with the performance of this unit.

What our dated Columbus lacks (in addition to being unable to accomodate subwoofer in standart way) is "loudness" option

Columbus/RNS-510 has Loudness.  Hold in setup, keep holding until you get past the radio test and into the settings menu.  It's in there under one of the audio settings (seem to recall it's under balance/fader?) and makes a large difference.

I'm waiting for some adventurous soul to retrofit the new unit from the Octavia to their Superb as it's quite good.

• Like 1

Columbus/RNS-510 has Loudness. Hold in setup, keep holding until you get past the radio test and into the settings menu. It's in there under one of the audio settings (seem to recall it's under balance/fader?) and makes a large difference.

I'm waiting for some adventurous soul to retrofit the new unit from the Octavia to their Superb as it's quite good.

Does that include the old 1Z0 units?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Columbus/RNS-510 has Loudness.  Hold in setup, keep holding until you get past the radio test and into the settings menu. 

This is if you have the secret service menu enabeled via VCDS.

Edited by linni