SUSPENSION - WHAT SUSPENSION?

Shanco

• Since 2011 my wife and I have had a Roomster, a Citigo and two Yetis and each and every car has been absolutely magic and did what 'it said on the tin'.
  • On the strength of past experience with Skoda I part exed my '63 Adventure Yeti for a new 2.0 CR DSG Superb SE earlier this month.
  • I am now wondering if I've made the mistake of the century.
  • On day 2 I took the Superb back to the dealership as the ride consisted of shudders etc. from going over fairly innocuous unevenness in the road surface.
  • I  asked the dealership to check if the 'transport chocks' had been removed. They confirmed that they had been removed but also noticed that the tyres were inflated to 'showroom' pressures of 3.5 bar. The tyre pressures were reduced to 2.2 and 2.3 bars as per manual..
  • Initially upon driving from the dealership I noticed a marked improvement in the 'ride' compared to what it was like.
  • However, now with 700 miles travelled I am still not satisfied the ride is comparable to any of my previous Skodas.It seems that even the road surface transmits itself to the steering wheel and seat.
  •  Is this lack of ride quality something that is peculiar to Superbs?

Shanco

Not IMO no, my December 2010 170CR Superb Elegance estate (with 225/40/18 tyres) certainly was a better ride than our 14 plate 170CR Yeti L&K (with 17” wheels)

The Yeti in comparison is much more crashy over potholes etc.

• Since 2011 my wife and I have had a Roomster, a Citigo and two Yetis and each and every car has been absolutely magic and did what 'it said on the tin'.
  • On the strength of past experience with Skoda I part exed my '63 Adventure Yeti for a new 2.0 CR DSG Superb SE earlier this month.
  • I am now wondering if I've made the mistake of the century.
  • On day 2 I took the Superb back to the dealership as the ride consisted of shudders etc. from going over fairly innocuous unevenness in the road surface.
  • I  asked the dealership to check if the 'transport chocks' had been removed. They confirmed that they had been removed but also noticed that the tyres were inflated to 'showroom' pressures of 3.5 bar. The tyre pressures were reduced to 2.2 and 2.3 bars as per manual..
  • Initially upon driving from the dealership I noticed a marked improvement in the 'ride' compared to what it was like.
  • However, now with 700 miles travelled I am still not satisfied the ride is comparable to any of my previous Skodas.It seems that even the road surface transmits itself to the steering wheel and seat.
  •  Is this lack of ride quality something that is peculiar to Superbs?

Shanco

Sorry to hear that and I have to agree on the ride quality.  The Superb is a very comfortable car long distance and on motorways but put it on bumpy roads and it will feel particularly harsh at times.  I find city driving the hardest (suspension wise) actually.  Compared to my previous 2011 170CR my 2014 is a harsher at times.

A few things I will say though - my 2011 was on 17s and the 2014 is on 18s.  The 17s were that bit more comfortable. The original contis on my 2014 didn't help handling and as soon as I got them off there was a noticeable improvement with the new Bridgestones (the sawtoothing on the contis didn't help either!).  There is still that 'thump' you get with the 18s going over any sort of minor holes.

Even a slight change in tyre pressures has an impact.  I have mine at 2.1 and compared to 2.3 or 2.4 it is far more comfortable due to the low profile of the tyres.  I have drive a pre-FL on 18s and it feels that bit more sorted so yes I think something has changed with the FL in terms of suspension set up.  I think we have debated it on here a few times before....

I can only speak from personal experience but my pre face lift mk2 rides very well, from low speed right through to faster m- way work. It is fitted with 17" rims and I run slightly higher tyre pressures. The only ride/handling idiosyncrasy I have noticed is a tendency, on roads with sudden/ severe camber changes, for the body to sway from side to side. This is presumably down to the compliant set up.     

Edited by Laurie61

I drive regularly with;

-Golf 4

-Renault Kangoo

-Mercedes C class

-Mercedes Vito van

-Ford Focus

-Ford Mondeo

-Peugeot 807

*Very* happy when I can plonk my juvenile 29 year old ass down into the plush seats of the 'urp and drive off...my god there are some horrible cars out there...

What tyres are fitted to the car?

Hi Moley,

• It's shod with Pirelli Cinturato P7's  size 225/45 R17 91W.
  • Once Christmas is over I'm going to ask the dealership if they would give the car another 'once over' to see if anything is amiss. I have great faith in them so if there is anything that can be done I am sure they will address it.

Shanco

Hi Moley,

• It's shod with Pirelli Cinturato P7's  size 225/45 R17 91W.
  • Once Christmas is over I'm going to ask the dealership if they would give the car another 'once over' to see if anything is amiss. I have great faith in them so if there is anything that can be done I am sure they will address it.

Shanco

The tyres can make a big difference to the ride. my current Octavia had a harsher ride with Bridgestones than my previous Octavia with Continentals, when I changed the tyres the ride was better. I would ask the dealer for a four wheel alignment check, as that can also make a difference. While they are checking your car see if they have asimilar Superb in stock that you can test drive to see if there is a difference between the cars.  

I have the same car as you, it also came fitted with the same Pirelli tyres.

The ride was and continues to be (new but different tyres now fitted) very comfortable so it sounds as though something is amiss with yours.

• Took the car into the dealership this morning.
  • I was offered the opportunity to drive another Superb for comparison..
  • Chief mechanic accompanied me in my car for a 15 mile drive which included 10 miles of motorway.
  • He could find nothing wrong but explained that coming from 16" winter tyres on a Yeti to low profile 17" on the Superb does highlight differences.
  • It was also explained that 17" low profiles is a compromise between comfort and handling and that the tyres and suspension tend to 'bed in' with mileage.
  • I'm satisfied with the explanation and upon reflection perhaps I have been too critical and developed somewhat of a phobia regarding the suspension. It was probably the wrong initial pressures that got me going.
  • The dealership has gone out of its way to put my mind at rest and I could not have expected a better service.

Shanco :clap:

• Like 2

What mileage your car has?

Please note, that suspension settles only after 8000-9000 km.

Btw, the ride improved after changing tyre pressure from 2.1 to 2.6. With lower pressure I could feel all imperfections of the road.

There is a thread covering this topic, it started early this year when a few of us bought new Superbs. The general consensus was the ride seemed harsh; I particulalrly found it so. Some have considered smaller wheels with a higher profile tyre. Others like me have gone for messing about with tyre pressures, I now have mine set at 2.4 bar front and 2.6 rear. This should create a harder ride but I find it an improvement and as Too Tall will tell you it helps to protect the wheels against minor pot hole damage. Having driven 5000 miles since new, the suspension seems to have settled and it is now quite comfortable, unless of course I have simply got used it :0)

I'm on 18s and I've always found the ride absolutely fine.  Then again, I don't mind the odd bump and thump as it reminds me of my boy-racer days.

You'd have to go back 14 years to my Citroen XM for a car with a "cushy" ride; since then I've owned a Laguna, 2 Vectras, a 207GT (roller-skate) and a Saab 9-3 - the Superb rides better than any of them.

Plus, my 18" wheels look sick, well suited to a member of the Serbian Mafia, which I am.  B)  The car has a presence and an authority on the road; a poise, and I think a lot of that comes down to the planted ride.

I would never contemplate downsizing to 16s or 17s - I wouldn't want the rival gangs to laugh at my licorice allsorts!  :D

What pressures are people using for the Combi ?

Chris

I have run my 3 previous MkII Superbs L&K  Hatch and Combi's and my present Facelift L&K Combi @ 2.5 Bar. 18"  as supplied Continental Sport 2 tyres, the ride is not hard but firm, the vehicle handles extremely well with these pressures and the tyres are wearing absolutely perfectly and so far depth of tread used in 5000 miles is less than 2mm. Depths checked with the electronic depth gauge I used ( and is calibrated ) when I did MOT tests. No doubt others will not agree about these pressurers but as long as they wear so well I will continue to use them. These pressures are used for normal loads.

What mileage your car has?

Please note, that suspension settles only after 8000-9000 km.

Btw, the ride improved after changing tyre pressure from 2.1 to 2.6. With lower pressure I could feel all imperfections of the road.

Hi LS108

• Only done 800 miles. I now realise that the suspension may need a few thousand miles to bed in.
  • I shall persevere with my psi settings for the moment to see if the suspension settles.

Thanks, Shanco

Then you have to be patient and wait :-)

It will settle, as well as you will notice improvement in engine performance and sound.

Regarding tyre pressure, higher pressure prevents rims and tyres from damaging them in potholes. But if the roads are ok, 2.1-2.2 bar is ok as well.

• Like 1

It might be that the car I had before had a terrible ride, but right from the first drive my car had a really good ride. Sometimes I think that the ride is deteriorating; then I drive another car which reminds me how good the Superb is. BTW I have 17 inch wheels which seem to give the best ride at 2.3 bar

IMHO the ride is on the Superb is on firm side, but don't forget most of the ride quality issues are the poor state of the roads we have.

In comparison I thought the ride quality was and like a transit van when I drove a Yeti, I was very dissappointed.

It's all very much a personal thing, try & get the dealer to lend you a demo for a couple of day as a comparison? make sure it's tyres pressures are correct tough.

Hi All

• The suspension and tyres seem to have bedded in - now covered nearly 1300 miles.
  • Wife and I went to Cheltenham today (a round trip of 220 miles including detours) and I must admit it was a supremely comfortable and enjoyable ride..
  • To boot we also achieved 57.1 mpg on the Maxidot so that probably means a 'true' 50 mpg plus.
  • Being now well pleased with our Superb we are planning a continental break for the Spring as well as naming her.

Shanco :rofl:

Edited by Shanco