DSG, best in Manual or Auto in snow

Ant FR

Well, I am off to the lovely Nurburgring on sunday.  Just checked the weather forecast and it's showing looking cold and plenty of snow likely.  Tuesday says -15 to -8 max.  

Anyway as our house is in the middle of nowhere i will probably be on some uncleared roads so wondered what people do with the DSG.  Do you leave it in auto or do you pop it in manual to have more control over the gears so you don't get caught out and lose traction?????

Lucky i got my winters all on last weekend.

• Like 1

For me,

In 'D' with changed down to 'S' for decelerating sometimes, or moving slowly, & engine braking,

or across to Manual and down the gear sometimes.

Location, location, location, Tyres, and Situation dependent.  All Snow, Ice & Wet cold roads not being the same.

What works best for you.  But stay off the brakes as much as possible.

Have fun, they are good in the snow.

george

PS

Does not start in 'N', when under -10*oC, only in 'P'.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I personally tented to use S more often than manual or D.

It held the gears a bit more and was a bit more willing to down shift to give some extra control.

Also leave traction control on unless you need to get the wheel spinning to get out of a parking spot etc.

With winter tyres on you will have absolutely no problems! They are crazy grippy in snow and ice we found. We once went to Winterberg in Germany with 1m of snowfall etc. Snow and ice we had no problem with our winter tyres (we had a Pug 306 1.9D at the time). Although there was one scary time where we and a few other cars were all sliding down a completely iced over hill. Managed to control it though as although we were sliding the tyres still came some directional steering and leaving the car in gear with some slight braking allowed a nice controlled slide if that makes sense.

Viel spass und Gute fahrt!

Phil

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

Well, I am off to the lovely Nurburgring on sunday.  Just checked the weather forecast and it's showing looking cold and plenty of snow likely.  Tuesday says -15 to -8 max.  

Anyway as our house is in the middle of nowhere i will probably be on some uncleared roads so wondered what people do with the DSG.  Do you leave it in auto or do you pop it in manual to have more control over the gears so you don't get caught out and lose traction?????

Lucky i got my winters all on last weekend.

I love the ring, such a lovely part of the country, feel free to join us next year for the trip ;) we went in sept, (Phill ^^ joined us for the day!) and did 2 days on the track, stayed in a lovely place nearby too!

for me manual every time, remember you cant lock wheels if you are attatching a moving wheel to a moving engine....

SO approaching an icy junction, changing down with the paddles, no braking, as you change to 1st, you get very good engine braking with it being impossible to lock... gives you good control , and being able to engine brake at the time of your choosing into corners is good too .... :) but then I often drive in manual anyway! lol..

you have your winters on, if its on snow, you could probably leave it in drive and brake! you'd be suprised how good the winters are on snow :)

I love the ring, such a lovely part of the country, feel free to join us next year for the trip ;) we went in sept, (Phill ^^ joined us for the day!) and did 2 days on the track, stayed in a lovely place nearby too!

for me manual every time, remember you cant lock wheels if you are attatching a moving wheel to a moving engine....

Let me know the dates, I will be over loads next year, Buying my Annual Ticket next week and will have my German Registered Civic Type R to leave at the House.  Thats main reason we are going as decorating the new house, 10 miles from the Track entrance.  My brother will be instructing there next year now he's living there full time.  

We have a huge barn come double garage to leave the cars.....lol

• Like 3

'S'  is Perfect at slower speeds and when being easy on the throttle.  Obviously at higher speeds, not 'S'.

It is not more torque where if unlike in 'D' & the box changes up at 2,400 RPM it is not changing up and you can just

have the speed and Supercharger not really giving power on light throttle, not going above 3,500 RPM.

in 1st,2nd or 3rd..

You can crawl along or slow down on light acceleration or get deceleration.

Be in 'D 4', drop to 'S' & be in 'S 2 ' with no throttle, and no touching brakes.  

(Today i am in a Old Skool Auto, and will mostly be in 'D', but have the pleasure of the choice of 'W',

when required,

& i will use it just like i do 'S' when in a Twincharger / DSG.)

Edited by goneoffSKi

I had no problems at all leaving it in D. Winter tyres were doing their job and allowing the car to do it's thing. Just braking as normal on sheet ice and snow with no locking up or ABS activation and complete control.

I suppose it might depend on what type and brand of tyres you are running, but I would not bother overriding D at all with my TS850's.  The DSG knows what to do.

In a manual car on standard tyres, I would think about using the gears to slow, but would  never use 1st as too much torque causing the car to destabilise.

If you feel overriding D is appropriate for you and your car/tyres then fair play!

Actually wonderfully easy, & controllable with choices, other than 1-5, clutch in, clutch out.

Wont be as controllable or as good as a manual though will it?

Having said that. Dad used to take his foot off the brake in his dsg 2.0cr and just let the torque on Tickover get it moving

The OP was about a Fabia vRS 1.4TSI petrol 7 speed DSG,

not a diesel or 6 speed box.  

You can leave it in 'D' and drive it, and it seems many are happy at that, and requiring to use the brakes.

If you do drive much in Hills and Snow covered roads, then decelerating using the gears yourself can be pretty damn good,

I know where i drive to the Scottish Ski centres, i would not be driving just with the Stick in 'D'.

Oooooh no!!!!

Didnt anyone tell you?

Its not the tyres, its the skill of the driver....<cough> :D

Ahaha. Yeah. Sounds about right.

Its not until you start overtaking cars (without even trying) as they come to a stop that you realise how much better winters are is it haha.

Tyres on the fabia atm are horrific. Slightest amount of throttle input and its spinning everywhere.

Good for tweaking the handbrake into my road though ahaha. Im sure the neighbours love seeing me come round sideways.

I like pulling those experienced and skilled confident drivers out of ditches after they lost traction on black ice.

Maybe some later on tonight.

Holiday time and obviously Salting / Gritting is just not happening.

Its only fair to charge a small amount for this.

Theres money to be made ;)