Cave oil consumption new fix updated two days ago by vag

Hey guys. I am one off the guys from Australia that have had the squirters installed. I can certainly say for my car that the squirters have definitely made a difference. I was topping up with a litre every couple of weeks. 800-1000kms or so. Since the fix 8 weeks ago I have done around 4000kms and have yet to top it up. Going to check it this weekend but maybe used about 250ml. I don't ever think these engines will get a 100% fix to stop them using oil due to there nature of being twin charged but any fix is better than nothing.

Edited by Danield
  • Like 1

Could you give some more information please.

When was your car built, which engine CAVE or CTHE.

How many km done when you became aware it was using oil.

Did it get a Breather pipe / valve mod & ECU update first.

How many km now has the car done from new?

Thanks.

Could you give some more information please.

When was your car built, which engine CAVE or CTHE.

How many km done when you became aware it was using oil.

Did it get a Breather pipe / valve mod & ECU update first.

How many km now has the car done from new?

Thanks.

Hi goneoffSki.

Car is a 2013 model with the CAVE motor. I bought it with 6500km in the clock. Knew it was using around the 1L per 1000km and wasn't to concerned.

Took it in for a service at 15000km and asked the dealer to have a look. They sent it to the local Skoda guys who made some inquiry's with Skoda Australia.  

The verdict was to not worry about testing it just install the squirters. Could not get it done until after Christmas. The car went in in Feb with 21000km approx. on it.

Car now has 25500kms and is using very little oil. Nothing else has been done to it.

• Like 2

It will be good to see how it does over time.

Luckily in the UK owners do not have to accept Volkswagens attempt at reducing the oil consumption on 

cars with engines they stopped selling over 2 years ago.

They knew when they built the Revised Engines and fitted them that there were problems with quite a few.

They failed to communicate that to Skoda Dealership Technicians and Service Desk Staff, and have owners monitor oil use,

and they failed to revise Service Schedule / Guidelines on Spark Plugs.

So VW / Skoda will need to suck it up and fit an engine of merchantable quality,

not mess about on engines possible already suffering wear and tear beyond its mileage.

No point Boasting about Fuel Economy of the Innovative Engine they took Awards for,

It might get 40 mpg & have low emissions, but 1 litre of oil used on a Euro 5 Emission engine every 3 tanks of Super Unleaded is a joke

too far.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Have you got any part numbers, or TSB numbers,, DanielD? I'm interested in these squirters. That said, I'm also interested in what else they might affect (adversely), other than oil use. If the motor used a bit more fuel, but less oil, I'd live with that.

I did come across a suggestion somewhere that the bigger standard squirters might be used for cold start up in Euro climates, but have no idea of whether that is plausible or, indeed, the truth. Worth keeping in mind for most on here, perhaps.

• Like 1

I think it was thomasaspin that put up the part number of the 'new parts' they fitted to his engine, not expensive.

But then they fitted a new engine, 

which maybe says something about the success or not of this fix in a European Climate, and on a already gubbed engine.

See post #57.

It would be interesting to be told by Skoda / VW how many have had Squirters fitted to used engines to 

get a figure of 99% success.

Like have they actually done 100 or 200 or 1000 engines with this Modification.

Even how many engines they have had to Scrap after replacing them from the Production Runs 

of 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 CAVE & CTHE engines from 2009-2015

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Have you got any part numbers, or TSB numbers,, DanielD? I'm interested in these squirters. That said, I'm also interested in what else they might affect (adversely), other than oil use. If the motor used a bit more fuel, but less oil, I'd live with that.

I did come across a suggestion somewhere that the bigger standard squirters might be used for cold start up in Euro climates, but have no idea of whether that is plausible or, indeed, the truth. Worth keeping in mind for most on here, perhaps.

Oz, didn't get any numbers. I will contact them and see if I can get anything.

So far so good. Does not seem to be using any more fuel.

• Like 1

Why would you think an oil piston spray will make the piston hotter?

Because someone elsewhere in this thread said that this was the intention of the spray jet mods, to reduce oil cooling to the pistons.

Don't know if this is right or wrong.

tonyvrs, 

Some help please.

because i am trying now before retiring from all interest in Oil Users on the 5th Birthday of Mk2 vRS Twinchargers

to get as much evidence or owners experiences together for Motoring Journalists, Editors and others that so far

are not holding Volkswagen, Skoda, Seat or Audi to task for the failures over the past 5 years with their Twincharger engines.

So.

What age is your car,

how many miles has it done,

is it the orginal engine.

Has it had a Breather Pipe / Valve Mod.  Type 1 or 2. and a ECU Update.

Most importantly,

? What was the Official Oil Consumption usage on the Report before this attempt at a fix was agreed by Skoda?

Do you have a Copy of the Test Procedure and Results.

Have Skoda UK given any information in writing on this attempt at Resolving the High Oil Usage?

Please keep us abreast of the Progress on the work being done, and the outcome.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

There is one part of the UK Motoring Media that have covered the Behaviour of the Volkswagen Group and Warranty and After Sales Care, and admitting to failures and putting them right.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-vrs-2010/?section=good

Obviously not covered or even mentioned by Auto Express, Autocar, What Car, Car, Evo, Top Gear, VW Driver of the other Magazines & Online Magazines.

Edited by goneoffSKi

George,

Answers:

1) 2 years

2) 14,000 miles

3) Original CTHE from new

4) No other mods done

5) I have no test report and I am not bothered, as dealer accepts it needs fixing. He just said it was out of spec.

My dealer is accepting that it needs to be fixed.  I will trade in next year as the car is on lease purchase; effectively the car belongs to Skoda.

I have no quibble with the dealer or Skoda at this point.

Regards

Tony

Edited by tonyfvrs
  • Like 1

Thank you.

So the first CTHE that i have heard of getting this Update done.

Not the first CTHE with the faults, several members here have required new engines.

If you are not going to suffer financial loss from their attempts at fixing it the cheapest way possible, then fair enough.

Often the issue is that cars still have the underlying issue, and Skoda Dealers then get them back and they stay in the Car Trade 

with the unsuspecting buyers getting landed with them, and then having to fight with Skoda / VW.

PS

I wonder if the dealer finds out that they can not do this mod,

because the engine is already at the latest spec being a CTHE.

Edited by goneoffSKi

The new Engine is just that a New Engine and hopefully good.

There were early and now later CTHE failing.

CAVE Replacements fitted to CAVE cars failed just with members here,

so who knows how many failed in total.

A CTHE replacement engine Built in 2014 going into a early CTHE is surely going to be properly built.

The CTHE has a different MAP (Engine Management) internals in the Block & Head.

As to what VW did to change the CAVE Engines or Engines to go in from 2009-2012, and then 2012-2014

as Replacements, they are not telling.

• Like 1

A trusted friend that works in Skoda swears the squirters are "officially" the solution to the oil consumption. I use brackets because there is obviously no official public word on the matter (as usual) but dealerships all around the world are little by little being told about it from the headquarters. There's many pages in the Australian VWWatercooled forum on polo GTIs that first had this fix and they all reported consumption being eliminated. Apparently, after trying every other component from the older 1.4 TSI engines (the CAVD ones from Sciroccos that don't use any oil) to no success, they finally tried the single component left which was different to that design, the oil squirters going by the code: 03C103157A   (CAVEs are running: 03C103157B from factory)  and voila... consumption gone. 

Just one of the CAVE Polo GTI with high consumption owners that happens to write on a group i'm following on FB, said he went through all the useless cures like breather mods etc. without any result, until they tried the uprated squirters (funnily, those were the old 1.4 TSI squirters from CAVD, not really an uprated version) and he has now stopped checking the dipstick, sounds like a dream...

The thing is by now, most CAVEs are out of warranty and it's probably a 250-500 eur job that the owners have to pay for themselves, since VW/Skoda are not admitting any wrongs...

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

Perhaps Skoda UK -Global will be proactive, (if a little late ) and issue a Service Campaign for all concerned owners.

At no cost to them!!!!!!!

Edited by vrskeith

He says it's not a recall nor a service campaign but rather, a "technical instruction" (translated term), VW logic - go figure... If you're still under warranty (lol) or out of warranty but still have a history of having been trough all the previous mods without success then you may have a case. Other than that, out of warranty it's going to be harder to get them to do it for free.

Edited by newbie69

He says it's not a recall nor a service campaign but rather, a "technical instruction" (translated term), VW logic - go figure... If you're still under warranty (lol) or out of warranty but still have a history of having been trough all the previous mods without success then you may have a case. Other than that, out of warranty it's going to be harder to get them to do it for free.

Just be a REPEATED pain in the ass to Skoda UKCS, until they do the right thing by you ,with proper CS/SUPPORT. Relative to a % of faulty products sold to Customers with their knowledge .

Just be a REPEATED pain in the ass to Skoda UKCS, until they do the right thing by you ,with proper CS/SUPPORT. Relative to a % of faulty products sold to Customers with their knowledge .

Well personally, I'm not too sure I want to bother with my consumption being what it is but my point was more that there is increased feed-back from all over the world that this fix actually works, so people with real issues know what to ask for.

And a second thing was that I've yet to read a report on this fix (either positive or negative) from a Briskoda member. I think tonyfvrs had it recently so should be reporting soon. Just looking for extra confirmation.

No matter the outcome this doesn't restore my faith to VW at all. I would have expected a much more timely and responsible approach after all this time. I'm keeping my vRS for as long as it continues to run well but I won't be going VW in the future. 

A trusted friend that works in Skoda swears the squirters are "officially" the solution to the oil consumption. I use brackets because there is obviously no official public word on the matter (as usual) but dealerships all around the world are little by little being told about it from the headquarters. There's many pages in the Australian VWWatercooled forum on polo GTIs that first had this fix and they all reported consumption being eliminated. Apparently, after trying every other component from the older 1.4 TSI engines (the CAVD ones from Sciroccos that don't use any oil) to no success, they finally tried the single component left which was different to that design, the oil squirters going by the code: 03C103157A (CAVEs are running: 03C103157B from factory) and voila... consumption gone.

Just one of the CAVE Polo GTI with high consumption owners that happens to write on a group i'm following on FB, said he went through all the useless cures like breather mods etc. without any result, until they tried the uprated squirters (funnily, those were the old 1.4 TSI squirters from CAVD, not really an uprated version) and he has now stopped checking the dipstick, sounds like a dream...

The thing is by now, most CAVEs are out of warranty and it's probably a 250-500 eur job that the owners have to pay for themselves, since VW/Skoda are not admitting any wrongs...

This is amazing. I always wondered why remapped cavd engines never had the oil consumption problems that cave ones did. It's mind boggling that the solution is an older part number. This reminds me of the mineral oil debacle for 7 speed dsg. It's shocking that it's taken vag group so many years to sort this out. What do they pick up in testing?!

Small Update from Australia.

After 9 weeks and approx. 4500kms my car has used around 450-500ml of oil after the installation of the squitters. Fuel consumption is normal (as it was before the fix).

Much better than the 900ml / 1000km I was getting.

Daniel

• Like 2

Small Update from Australia.

After 9 weeks and approx. 4500kms my car has used around 450-500ml of oil after the installation of the squitters. Fuel consumption is normal (as it was before the fix).

Much better than the 900ml / 1000km I was getting.

Daniel

100ml per 1000km sounds much more reasonable than the 500 VW are describing as "expected". Good news.

• Like 1