what would other members do in my situation?

preston334

Quick background history on my predicament. Since end of July, I been on the sick, due to a GP issue with my heart medication, which left me in a bad way health wise. Since then I been back and forward to cardiac nurse and consultants. I've been on statutory sick pay since then, which is now expiring. I'm due now to start back next month on a phased return to work 3 days a week. all my family and friends know my situation, regarding my sick pay etc. Mortgage is covered, so no worries there But have dipped into our savings a bit.

Every year,myself and quite a few others go to the army v navy rugby at Twickenham. So I've sorted the tickets and wristbands out for our Corps end of Twickenham and I sorted the hotels out, all paid up front for a cheaper deal, as agreed with everyone. I paid for everything in November and was happy for payment after Christmas. Tickets and hotel cost is £100

Now everyone bar 2 have paid up and I posted pics of tickets and wristbands on Facebook. Also group message everyone explaining to pay up by today. These 2 people have seen it and haven't even replied to me, even though they post every little detail of their life on Facebook.

So the question is, if others where in my situation, how would you tackle it. I'm considering putting another post online tagging everyone on it, rather than the 2 individuals, clearly stating if payment is not received by end of play Wednesday, then they forfeit the tickets, wristbands and hotel room. I had others approach me asking for tickets and hotels and are good for the money.

Am I being unreasonable with the ultimatum, even though they know my health and work situation.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. Just don't want to loose good friends I've known since 1989.

Richard

Edited by preston334

Send them a message stating that payment deadline is today, and if not paid by Wednesday then you'll have to shift them to someone else. The end.

Your health situation is nothing to do with this so don't even bring that up as an issue, it's to do with them not paying for something they agreed to. Not belittling your health issues at all, but it's not relevant here.

• Like 4

Send them a message stating that payment deadline is today, and if not paid by Wednesday then you'll have to shift them to someone else. The end.

Your health situation is nothing to do with this so don't even bring that up as an issue, it's to do with them not paying for something they agreed to. Not belittling your health issues at all, but it's not relevant here.

I know what you mean by health issue, but as its affecting my income at the moment and my statutory sick pay now ends, I not going down the route of signing on for a few weeks, and they known all this from day one. Just feel it shouldn't have got to this stage with them

Send them a polite reminder that the deadline for payment is here and you'd be grateful for the payment. If possible send it to everyone in your group so as not to pick out individuals. Something along the lines of:

'I would be very grateful for the payment of the tickets and hotel which are now in my possession, please ignore this message if you have already paid me. Looking forward to a great game at Twickenham with you all'.

Hopefully this way it might just nudge them in to paying but not annoy anyone in particular as it's gone to everyone in the group. This saves face to face or 'uncomfortable' moments.

See you at Twickenham, I'll be there a few times over the next couple of months, not forgetting the 2015 World Cup later in the year.

• Like 2

I would contact them again (do you have an alternative to facebook?) and ask for payment by Wednesday and say if they don't pay by then or reach an agreement with you about it you will be looking to see if anyone else wants to go in their place (I wouldn't say you've got others lined up at this stage) If they fail to pay or contact you by then I would offer the places to the others that are interested starting with the one who asked first. If they gave you a deposit then I'd refund that once payment from their replacements had been recieved.

If they do fail to pay by Wednesday I'd then let the othets know what you plan to do first though as although you've got the majority of the grief to deal with it is their day out too, so best keep them on side.

good luck.

• Like 2

Send them a polite reminder that the deadline for payment is here and you'd be grateful for the payment. If possible send it to everyone in your group so as not to pick out individuals. Something along the lines of:

'I would be very grateful for the payment of the tickets and hotel which are now in my possession, please ignore this message if you have already paid me. Looking forward to a great game at Twickenham with you all'.

Hopefully this way it might just nudge them in to paying but not annoy anyone in particular as it's gone to everyone in the group. This saves face to face or 'uncomfortable' moments.

See you at Twickenham, I'll be there a few times over the next couple of months, not forgetting the 2015 World Cup later in the year.

That's what I thinking of doing, a group message rather than individuals. It's hard to judge what to do without upsetting somebody. so you going to be at the army navy as well then?

I would be quite tactful and post on the group message who has paid and who is outstanding , that way those that have paid will know two people are deadbeats ;)

Be embarrassing for them and if they are going to pay then you'll get it sharpish , if they get the hump with you then they wouldnt have paid anyhow

so you going to be at the army navy as well then?

Hopefully, also the matches at Twickenham on the weekends 14th/15th Feb, 14th/15th March, 21st/22nd March, then the World Cup at various other venues.

• Like 1

If they are good mates they should understand ! They know you've been unwell and struggling ? Then if they don't pay up sell the tickets

Exactly! These are meant to be mates, people who should have your back, not guys giving you grief!

• Like 1

One of 2 options if it was me:

1) direct contact with the individuals concerned to give them the deadline and let them know the tickets will be passed on to others if money not received in time

or

2) blanket post to all those who were in the group not singling out individuals noting that if money not received by the deadline, that tickets will be available for anyone else on a first come first served basis. That way you don't embarrass them to the group.

• Like 1

How about:
"Thanks to all those that have paid for their tickets, but there are still a few payments out standing.

Please note that if I do not receive your payments by FRIDAY the 6th of this month then I will be offering those tickets to others."

• Like 2

Thanks for all the reply. went with a status update, tagging everyone, thanking people who have paid but also a reminder for those who haven't paid, to settle up by end of play on Friday, otherwise they will lose their allocation and tickets will be allocated to other interested people. If payment is an issue, please get in touch with me, rather than ignoring the message

Thanks for the replies

Richard

• Like 2

Thanks for all the reply. went with a status update, tagging everyone, thanking people who have paid but also a reminder for those who haven't paid, to settle up by end of play on Friday, otherwise they will lose their allocation and tickets will be allocated to other interested people. If payment is an issue, please get in touch with me, rather than ignoring the message

Thanks for the replies

Richard

The right thing to do i think.

You dont pay, you dont go, simple as that.

Hope all goes well. You cant be fairer than you have been mate.

Everybody's always lovely and friendly, until it comes to money and business, then its a free for all and you find out who your real mates are IMO.

• Like 2