New focus rs - looks a bit pants imho...

Exeterj

I had a MKI Focus RS back in 2003 and it was the best car I've ever had and I've always regretted selling it. I'm really looking forward to the new one and can see myself getting one when the are out, I can even pretend it's practical as it's now a five door!

• Like 1

http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus-rs/15135/watch-ford-focus-rs-exclusive-evo-video

Will the real competition have moved on up, by the time it arrives in UK.

18 months to late but guess it will be very price competitive?

Not so sure myself.

The Merc 45AMG is around 50% more expensive before options and the RS3 will be 33% more expensive before options.  And both have some seriously expensive options.

The RS will come to the party a little late, after the Golf R, S3 and Scooby.  But'll be in the same price region with more power and an interesting four wheel drive system.

Plus being a Ford, there might be bargains to be had.

Ford generally do a cracking job in making cars that drive really well.  The RS is a manual too.

So it might be a lot of fun and give the current champ of the sector (Golf R) a fight.

There are also a lot of people out there that go nuts for a Ford performance hatchback...

• Like 1

If you de-badged it you would have a nice Q car, doesn't look much like its capable of delivering over 300bhp, i like it (still have a Golf R if i was choosing). 

• Like 1

Not so sure myself.

The Merc 45AMG is around 50% more expensive before options and the RS3 will be 33% more expensive before options.  And both have some seriously expensive options.

The RS will come to the party a little late, after the Golf R, S3 and Scooby.  But'll be in the same price region with more power and an interesting four wheel drive system.

Plus being a Ford, there might be bargains to be had.

Ford generally do a cracking job in making cars that drive really well.  The RS is a manual too.

So it might be a lot of fun and give the current champ of the sector (Golf R) a fight.

There are also a lot of people out there that go nuts for a Ford performance hatchback...

Agree with a lot you have said but with any luck (Limited volume edition) R400 will be around the same time.Who knows there may be and upgraded Golf R brought out as well.

Interesting times a head.

Richard,are you still going a head with the RS3?

Agree with a lot you have said but with any luck (Limited volume edition) R400 will be around the same time.Who knows there may be and upgraded Golf R brought out as well.

Interesting times a head.

Richard,are you still going a head with the RS3?

Ah, but you can't compare a special 400bhp version of the Golf R with a "stock" RS Keith. :)

The 400R isn't going to be in the same price point and Ford are not exactly unknown for just making the stock models either...

Ford_Focus_RS500_4859_1.jpg?d=2010040200

Ford would be fools not to produce a nutter version of the RS in a few years, with VAG already set to do the same.

• Like 3

I agree the R400 will be much dearer and im sure the RS will be cheaper than even the normal S3/Golf R. Keith you are right exciting times ahead indeed. Power mad and hopefully now entering handling to match. I love my S3 for day to day use but fully aware its no track racer, just after something with a bit more power. RS3 fits bill but I think for money its looking poor value compared with R and S.

time will tell and deals.....deals always change things.it was a deal that got me in the S3 to start with lol

• Like 1

If I was looking for something in that range I'd probably go for a RS provided it drove well, the looks of it don't matter to me to be honest as I drive a p**s green clio, I'd imagine there'll be an RS+ along soon after as well or something along the lines of that for the lairy look

Whilst it's appearance is a personal thing, for me it is the most interesting of all of these super hatches, if you can live with the dire dealer service and inevitable bits falling off. The Honda is the other, for many years I've hankered after an ITR, an ATR with the comedy 9k red lines. This one has a turbocharger, and I'll bet it doesn't sound as manic. 

Where the Golf and Seat fail massively for me is the lack of natural aural stimulation. 300+ bhp should sound just that, and not rely on some plastic pipework and resonator.

I also hope they don't join the latest fad for timing around the 'ring. Irrelevant marketing BS.

• Like 1

Whilst it's appearance is a personal thing, for me it is the most interesting of all of these super hatches, if you can live with the dire dealer service and inevitable bits falling off. The Honda is the other, for many years I've hankered after an ITR, an ATR with the comedy 9k red lines. This one has a turbocharger, and I'll bet it doesn't sound as manic.

Where the Golf and Seat fail massively for me is the lack of natural aural stimulation. 300+ bhp should sound just that, and not rely on some plastic pipework and resonator.

I also hope they don't join the latest fad for timing around the 'ring. Irrelevant marketing BS.

You didn't mention BMW who also use sound enhancement.Think it was mentioned by Harris in one of his comparison tests ,may have been the M235i Edited by vrskeith

Ah, but you can't compare a special 400bhp version of the Golf R with a "stock" RS Keith. :)

The 400R isn't going to be in the same price point and Ford are not exactly unknown for just making the stock models either...

Ford_Focus_RS500_4859_1.jpg?d=2010040200

Ford would be fools not to produce a nutter version of the RS in a few years, with VAG already set to do the same.

It's unfortunate but Ford appear to be behind the 8 ball and by the time their R&D get there, others have moved on up. Continue to be 2 years adrift.

They need to catch up and get Ahead in their offerings and become the market leader.

Edited by vrskeith

the only thing this time I cant see the R or S3 moving on much in next 3 years so although they are behind they still enter where they will compete. plus the 4wd has a potential to put way ahead of the VAG pair in handling

I'm sure it'll be great.

Fact, I know it will be great, Ford are good at making...well, Fast Fords!

I just don't know if it will be 'Special' like the MK1 RS, I've had the pleasure of being taking out in one. Lovely cars.

But what does it matter? Ford will shift plenty of units and no doubt make a lot of ££££££.

It's unfortunate but Ford appear to be behind the 8 ball and by the time their R&D get there, others have moved on up. Continue to be 2 years adrift.

They need to catch up and get Ahead in their offerings and become the market leader.

I'm not so sure I agree.

It's not so much that Ford is behind, rather VAG is a bit ahead.

There are still no Honda Type R on roads.

They are already the market leader in the fun smaller Hot Hatch market with the Fiesta and we don't know yet how the Focus RS is going to handle.

With it's new rear drive idea it could trump the Haldex 5 VAG are using.

We just don't know.

Also I don't think Ford are desperate to be in front, hence they have already said they won't get into playing the ring time game.

What they need to do is make sure this car earns them money.

Hence the tamer styling over the last RS so they can sell it worldwide.