Debunking Criminals Cloning Key fobs Myth

colinecek

A report on British TV news last night claimed a sharp increase of criminals gaining entry to cars that are locked using the car RF key fob. To substantiate this claim they found some pundit who claimed:-

“Within the past few years, cyber criminals have cracked the code on some car remote controls and have developed technology that allows them to clone a nearby signal.  As you unlock your vehicle, if they are nearby they can pick up that signal that’s being transmitted through the air and if they’ve got the right software they can decode that encrypted signal and decode and figure out what the code is to open your car,”

This is total rubbish.  Fact: no criminal can gain access to your car using key cloning, or any other technical wizardry, providing it is (dead)locked with key fob or physical key, without breaking a window.  I'll post technical reason if anyone wants.

They also reported that it takes less than 10 seconds to get away with your car – also total rubbish. Yes if they break a window they can get into your car through the window, but they have to override in some way the alarm system before they can get into the OBD system, and yes they may be able to start the engine, which by the way will cut out when the brake is pressed if they haven’t overridden the key transducer, then they have to override the steering lock mechanism, and it goes on. Anything is possible but this is more than a 10 second walk in the park.

I am astounded that the people who prepare this kind of disinformation do not check facts before transmitting them to a world of people who require quality information to better protect them selves from the criminal scum.

It is probably true that most car crime is committed by opportunist criminals.  They want your radio/nav and anything else they can easily get out of your car.  The criminal pro’s, however, want the car, and if they are minded to want your car, their going to get it no matter what.  My interest is preventing the opportunist scum so here are a couple of helpful pointers:-

1. Don’t leave stuff in view – and I mean any stuff!
  2. Lock your car with the metal key.  Use the fob for unlocking when your hands are full with shopping (or kids!)
  3. Don’t fit a factory alarm.  These can be easily disabled through the OBD
  4. Fit a siren (120db) inside the car – it will make life unbearable for the criminal while he is trying to get away with your radio.
  5. When you walk away from your car clicking the lock button on your fob, DO NOT RELY ON THE CLUNK OF THE DOOR LOCKS AS CONFIRMATION THE DEADLOCK HAVE BEEN ENGAGED.  It maybe someone else’s car locking you heard!

The last pointer is important because the one sure way of a criminal getting into your car is if the car is unlocked.  All a criminal has to do is prevent your key fob lock signal from getting to your car (signal jamming) and he has access to your car.

Regarding the OBD: I think it right that the OBD should be made accessible to non-car dealer types, however, I am of the mind that the OBD connector should be better protected from unauthorized access, and I am sure it’s not beyond the whit and skill of car manufactures to make it very difficult for all but the most persistent criminals.

Reading above you do wonder how so many cars are stolen.

Even brand new ones stolen straight from outside dealerships.

Do not buy a car, because the VIN is with the person you bought it from.

Now in the UK you can have the information easily provided right from the DVLA.

You can read the cars VIN through the windscreen.

If you have a car never let any one service it because they can have the key copied.

Never use someone to fit a Tracker or Alarm because if they are dodgy geezers, you are stuffed.

Never let someone valet your car, they can have the key copied.

Never leave your car at Tyre Fitting centres.

Never lay your keys down ever.

Never park your car because someone might lift it on to a lorry or dolly it onto a trailer.

http://ala.co.uk/blog/bbc-consumer-programme-watchdog-highlights-continuing-security-problems-on-prestige-vehicles

http://news.sky.com/story/1257320/thousands-of-cars-stolen-using-hi-tech-gadgets

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

It takes a couple of minutes to code a new key for keyless cars, you can do this via the obd on some cars and you can also gain access to the obd without setting the alarm off on some cars , I've seen it done on a BMW and it's scary how easy , also very easy on some JLR cars

One of the cheapest ways is simply to move the obd port ( BMW owners have done this) or to alter the wiring on the obd port

Big reason not to go for keyless entry IMO

• Like 1

A report on British TV news last night claimed a sharp increase of criminals gaining entry to cars that are locked using the car RF key fob. To substantiate this claim they found some pundit who claimed:-

It is probably true that most car crime is committed by opportunist criminals.  They want your radio/nav and anything else they can easily get out of your car.  The criminal pro’s, however, want the car, and if they are minded to want your car, their going to get it no matter what.  My interest is preventing the opportunist scum so here are a couple of helpful pointers:-

1. Don’t leave stuff in view – and I mean any stuff!
  2. Lock your car with the metal key.  Use the fob for unlocking when your hands are full with shopping (or kids!)
  3. Don’t fit a factory alarm.  These can be easily disabled through the OBD
  4. Fit a siren (120db) inside the car – it will make life unbearable for the criminal while he is trying to get away with your radio.
  5. When you walk away from your car clicking the lock button on your fob, DO NOT RELY ON THE CLUNK OF THE DOOR LOCKS AS CONFIRMATION THE DEADLOCK HAVE BEEN ENGAGED.  It maybe someone else’s car locking you heard!

There is one big flaw in your list.

The cars being targeted are Keyless so you cant lock them with a key.

If he had the keys, why didn't he just open the door, get in, and drive it away? :p It would've been much easier than the way he did it.

It looked to me like he tried a succession of keys before finally getting in , but that's an 06 car , not stolen at all in the way the current models are

Or wait for driver to be on quiet bit of road and mug him

Yup. Or 'her'. Sadly its most likely to be the vulnerable.

Not to do with cars.. But this is what we're dealing with here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2943279/Thief-steals-purse-dying-pensioner-hit-lorry-police-say-one-disgusting-crimes-ve-seen.html

• Like 1

Do you think Skoda owners might be among the safest in the UK for the risk of theft of the vehicle.

Maybe around the same place on a list as owners of Proton and some places below Dacia owners?

Yes, for example in 2013 (figures not yet out for 2014) NO - I repeat NO - Roomsters were stolen. I wonder why  :notme:

I know Honest John often publishes a load of carp, but this makes interesting reading

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/crime/insight-and-analysis/trends-and-analysis-from-the-figures/

Yup. Or 'her'. Sadly its most likely to be the vulnerable.

Not to do with cars.. But this is what we're dealing with here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2943279/Thief-steals-purse-dying-pensioner-hit-lorry-police-say-one-disgusting-crimes-ve-seen.html

This was the issue over some of the more southerly hills in Wales, you'd be driving over the top at night and some lads would come out of nowhere trying to get you to stop and hijack your car

Some good quality responses up there :notme:   though I still stand by my assertion that it is impossible to clone a key fob over the air – so called sniffing, so providing your car is deadlocked you are a good way away from unauthorized access to your car.

The only way to unlock a car that is deadlocked in the absence of the key fob is with a key blade, or some tool that slides down between the door window and door casing, though such a tool has to circumvent the manufactures prevention schemas.  

I watched the video submitted by Rustynuts many times over.  The flashing LED is an indication that the car was most probably deadlocked, so I am fairly well convinced that the thief had a key.  How the thief acquired the key probably lies somewhere in the response from goneoffSKi.  I know here in the Czech Republic it’s very easy to get a key blade duplicated at the same place you would get a home key done.

As I said in my originating post: it is possible to jam the frequencies used by key fobs thereby preventing a car from being locked.  The holds true for key and keyless entry systems.  It is though, possible to relay a “friendly” signal from a keyless system fob and use that relayed signal to gain access to a car.  Once in the car the thief can steal stuff, or even gain access to the OBD and steal the car.

The quickest way into a deadlocked car is through a broken window.  I wouldn’t know for sure, but I would bet that the cars stolen from outside dealerships are stolen in this way.

Richf posted that he witnessed access to a BMW OBD without triggering the alarm. Crap alarm I say.  A car alarm is supposed to detect unauthorized entry, and I would say that that falls into this category.  I would be pretty annoyed if that was my car.   

I know that there are several ways to hook into the OBD.  The ODB connector is just one way so securing the connector is going to impede the thief, but not necessarily save your car.  I am also intrigued by the thought that there may be some way to get at the OBD from outside the car.

Some good quality responses up there :notme:   though I still stand by my assertion that it is impossible to clone a key fob over the air – so called sniffing, so providing your car is deadlocked you are a good way away from unauthorized access to your car.

The only way to unlock a car that is deadlocked in the absence of the key fob is with a key blade, or some tool that slides down between the door window and door casing, though such a tool has to circumvent the manufactures prevention schemas.  

I watched the video submitted by Rustynuts many times over.  The flashing LED is an indication that the car was most probably deadlocked, so I am fairly well convinced that the thief had a key.  How the thief acquired the key probably lies somewhere in the response from goneoffSKi.  I know here in the Czech Republic it’s very easy to get a key blade duplicated at the same place you would get a home key done.

Okay, so the thief had a key blade. What else did he need to do? Well, he needed to deactivate the alarm by some means, which in your first post you state categorically as total rubbish.

If the thief had a complete key then he'd just drive the car away. If he had a blade then he had to disable the alarm and immobiliser. If he had neither then he had to disable the alarm, immobiliser, and activate the central locking to open, then start the car.

It was some 5 years ago that a university bod showed that he'd cracked the algorithm for the system used by many car manufacturers, and just by using a laptop and some basic equipment he could sniff the unlock code from a remote at some distance and generate an unlock signal. He also loaded that code onto a spare remote so that the same car could be locked and unlocked quite easily at leisure without having to carry the laptop about.

There are plenty of cases of Audis being broken into with no signs of forced entry and no missing keys just google it . Thieves clearly know how to enter many cars without damaging them or setting the alarms off , cloning a new key however takes a lot more skill so thefts are limited to high end stuff

I guess since we drive Skodas we are clearly too cheap to have anything worth nicking in our cars so the thieves don't target us :)

It's also worth mentioning that discussing exactly how someone can break into our cars probably is the best idea on a public forum

Car thieves know how to break into cars before Media Journalists talk and write about it, or make films about it,

and before Forum Members post on it.

They also know that if nothing is on show in the car it might be in the boot.

& that people keep Credit Cards & Cash in the Ashtray, or under the Car mats.

As to smashing a window to get in, well that stands out a mile.

More common on older and even newer cars, is pry open the top corner of the door and pull / bend and reach in,

and if taking the car try to bend back again, not so obvious as broken glass.

Dead locked doors are good and well, you need Deadlocked Rear Hatches on Hatchbacks and even boots on Saloons 

where you can get into the car via the rear opening by dropping the seats.

There are Prestige and just run of the mill vehicles with the top half of a hatch/ glass that opens separately

from the Bottom part, which could be nice for those wanting to gain access rather easily.

Where it is opportunist thieves, Junkie Skumbag thieves tend to be skinny little runts that can get in little holes like the rats that they are,

and when it comes to just breaking glass for smash and grabs, Centre Punches are easily shoplifted.

http://roaddriver.co.uk/safety-tips/how-to-prevent-car-theft

Edited by goneoffSKi